1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread United vs City

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ole so afraid to upset the applecart, it's the 83rd min and he still won't make any meaningful substitution.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He definitely won't now, too late in the game.

Any telling substitution should be with 15 mins left.

Treble likes this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Unless we go a goal down, then he'll stick on another 2 with 30 seconds to go.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That second half was nothing less that cowardice by the manager.

How the fck can Ole keep playing for a draw ffs. He did the same ****e in midweek until we found ourselves 2-0 down.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

And ppl will actually defend that performance <laugh>

cytrax likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Oh hold on, no let me guess... if we win our game in hand we'll be 4 points off the top so that's a decent result <doh>

Anyone who comes out with that rubbish just really does not get it AT ALL.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Well, if Cavani wasn't suspended for his "racist" tweet to a man he has been friends with for years he could have made a difference n that game.
    We had a free pass at corners with nobody who could head a ball, even Ighalo could have made a difference with his movement if he was on the bench.
    Bruno had a really poor game for him but luckily de Bruyne was poor too.
    Neither team wanted to lose and it showed.

cytrax likes this.
  8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Both teams took the draw after an hour, had shades of Germany v Austria about it! Disappointing really.

Agree on Ighalo, he could have been used as an actual centre forward. When did using a target man become against the law?

No idea why we couldn't have gone a bit more agricultural for the last ten minutes or so, put City's (****e) centre halves under some pressure.

Diego likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Solskjær: "In my time against Manchester City that's the best performance we have had. Not the best result but the best performance."

I'll just leave that there <ok>

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Haha. That’s an hilarious review from Ole.

Overall, I don’t think a draw is a bad result. It was an overall poor game from both sides. Very little real chances were created. For comments on Cavani making a difference in this game, I really don’t see it based on the way the team was setup. We barely created anything meaningful. Cavani would have been starved of service.

All in all, we have to respect the fact that we were playing a top team. Had Ole gone for broke in the last ten minutes and lost the game, then I don’t think that risk would have been worth taking at that stage of a balanced match. Better to get a draw from it than going all out and taking pointless risks if it is scoreless late into the match.

Overall, anyone in the league will take a scoreless draw against City especially given the form they had been in.

To the next!

glazerfodder likes this.

11. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Agree, a draw, given the circumstances, was a decent result, I just wish Ole wouldn't come out with these ridiculous soundbites after each game - just say it as it is - disappointed with the draw etc etc, didn't lose ground in the PL etc - he does sound like a tool sometimes.

Christiansmith and cytrax like this.
  12. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

That was a poor dull and instantly forgettable game but it was all about the result for both managers. Both are at fault and both were satisfied with a point.

It was a must not lose game rather than must win. If it was must win I have no doubt that we (or City) could have got the 3 points. City was tentative and fearful too.

But for Solskjaer after that horrible week, he felt a loss at home to City would have been disastrous for him. So weighing in the risk benefits he went for the cautious approach.

Both sides are able to build from here and whether we accept it or not this keeps the wolves from the United manager’s door. Neville said it. If Mourinho had done what pep and ole did he would have been crucified. But then this is also admitting that in the same situation he definitely would have done the same.

One minute we say he is naive and the next we say he is too calculating. We can’t have it both ways. I would have preferred a morale boosting win but am not too disappointed with a point. For those who say crowds don’t make a difference, do you think that this kind of performance would have happened if there were 2000 inside OT yesterday?

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

What occurs to me is that Pep knows the capabilities locked within this United team so much so that he had to change his approach. This comment is meant as a dig at Ole’s inability to get the best out of the team. I dare say that if Pep were managing that United lineup yesterday against that City side, he would have gone for a straight win. No question about it!

14. Christiansmith

Possibly but difficult to be certain what Pep would have done in these circumstances. Pep has lots of credits having won the premiership and other leagues and the CL. Like Fergie before him his position and credentials are not questioned. He could afford to take a risk to lose in order to get the 3 points. I can understand why at this moment in time after a loss Solskjaer went for the point rather than risk a defeat at home to our local rivals. All hell would have broken loose!

cytrax likes this.
  15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Now that you mentioned it, imagine Sir Alex with this squad... phew

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Christiansmith likes this.
  16. Christiansmith

Of course we’ll never know but I think we are significantly handicapped to not having any home crowd compared to the likes of the RS and the London clubs.
    Some teams are having crowd support and others none. This seems unfair to me if it lasts the rest of the season.

17. Nikhil Joshi

Nikhil Joshi Member

yeah, I feel Pep played for a draw yesterday

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Responding to some comments about Mourhino earlier. Just bear in mind that the idea of sitting back, being tight in defence and looking to counter attack is a good one... but only IF you have a counter attack and it's effective.

That's why Mourhino took Spuds to City's backyard, did exactly that and won 2-0. Think about that. There's a difference. Ole wasn't doing what Mourhino was.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So, in view of the fact both Liverpool and Spurs drew, is yesterday one point gained or two points dropped?

Personally see it as two dropped, we should have tried to win.

The last half hour yesterday was pretty depressing that he/we didn't have the bollocks to try to win the game.

Treble likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just to add to that, Arsenal have taken only 4 points in the league in the past 2 months. 3 of those were against us.

And we set up against them afraid to win as well.

Diego likes this.