1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread United vs Wolves Midweek Monster Match

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

True but I'm not just thinking about these games, but after Liverpool we've got a run of games every 3 days or so... so it will keep them fresh for those.

Diego likes this.
  2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Don’t you ever say such thing again, Diego. He is the cornerstone of my fantasy team.

Diego likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We are so reliant on Fernandes at the moment it is unreal. I said last season that he was the Cantona of the team. He brings out the best of our youngsters. He sets the example. Cavani is the same to a lesser extent.

However we need the youngsters to start performing without him. Cantona wasn’t always on the pitch. Fernandes cannot play 2 or 3 matches a week throughout long periods. Others in that midfield need to take up the baton. Pogba looks he is more interested but has yet to convince he can be the leader. Van deBeek needs some game time.

Ole would probably put him on the bench for the Villa game and bring him on in the second half if we are behind or drawing.

Treble likes this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

When you see the difference from what Fernandes does week in week out and what Pogba does, it's just massively disappointing. Imagine if he was just as influential on a consistent basis. That pairing could be something special, not since Scholes and Keane but I don't think it's going to happen.

Christiansmith likes this.
  5. Christiansmith

I can see some of Keane’s temperament in him. Yes Maguire is the captain but he looks more the quiet type. Fernandes just hates losing. He encourages and ticks off team mates as required. He had this well publicised bust up with Lindelof recently and of course he was right. Pogba may not be the Keane type but he could lead by example. Working harder and being more vocal with his mates.

One player who has slipped under the radar yesterday was Shaw. He contributed significantly to the increased tempo once he was introduced. Although Telles is a decent left back, I would still put Shaw ahead atm.

Diego, cytrax and Treble like this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've come to the opinion a lot of how players like Shaw and Martial perform really depends on the opposition and whether they start or come off the bench. Those little things are making a big difference imo.

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The reason why we have been inconsistent is because of players like Pogba, Shaw and Martial. Christiansmith, you mentioned that Bruno simply hates losing. That is the number one quality of great players. Whereas in our team, we have too many passive players that just accept things as they are. Low on fire and low on passion.

Pogba in particular is a waste of time. We need to stop expecting anything else from him. DvdB should be getting more game time in Pogba‘s place. He would compliment Bruno and give up more goals from the midfield. Or at least give Greenwood a solid place in the team.

Greenwood had some crazy stepovers yesterday on the right and just effortlessly whipped in a cross with his left foot. That’s the magic that Greenwood can deliver because of his technical capabilities and can grow professionally if he plays more with Bruno.

To challenge for the league, we would need to quickly discover the starting 11. Not this current in and out system with twenty million permutations.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The thing about Pogba is, that whilst I'm not averse to selling him, and he does frustrate me a lot at times, I still feel he is a good option to have while we still have him.

No doubt imo he underperforms and underwhelms at times, but I'm sure opposition players still think differently when they see he'll be playing and know he's more than capable of turning up or providing a moment of brilliance that could open them up.

He's still a very good option to have in midfield. In all honesty we have more chance of winning something with him this season than without.

But beyond that, as I said yesterday I think he's a luxury we can't risk having in the long-term.

9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

My problem with Pogba is that he is poor in possession and all too often he is dispossessed in critical positions. Its as if he doesn't see the imminent threat and he dithers - its as if his head is telling him he has more time on the ball than he actually has. That inconsistency is both frustrating and a liability. I know he's a big lad but he needs to be more fleet of foot, his usual languid style no longer suits the more dynamic style of play that Ole has the team playing. yes, once in a while he can have a positive influence on a game and make a telling pass, but those increasingly rare moments do not outweigh the general disadvantages of having him in the side. We should get rid while is stock is reasonably high and use the money on the right wing and a CB.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That's exactly what frustrates me about him <ok>

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Although, I genuinely think if he gets a run in the team he'd be a hell of a player and asset.

He's a conundrum for definite. He'd be in first choice midfield three for me, with Fred and Fernandes.

Possible alternative to Pogba would be DVDB.

All this sounds harsh on McTominay of course.

12. Christiansmith

I share many of your points. I just think we need a bit more patience with many of those players you mention. With Pogba I think people at the club have realised that there are things you cannot expect him to do. He is not a box to box player who can tackle when the opposition counterattacks on us. The other players are coming to terms with what’s expected of them. Fernandes and Cavani are setting the example.

For me, no team is now too daunting - probably a mixture of us improving and others such as City and the RS coming down from their high - and I expect us to at least be competitive against any top domestic side. The start of the season was appalling and I believe the manager when he said we were not up to full fitness and competitiveness at that time. Apart from those first 3-4 matches, we have the best record of all teams.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I don’t think Pogba is as good as he thinks. This has killed the need for himself to work harder on getting better because he always believed that he had arrived. He’s actually killed off career of Lingard, for example. The moment Lingard started believing in hype as opposed to keeping his head down and working hard, he was done. Lingard is microcosm of the Pogba-effect on Pogba himself and the team at large.

It’s all a shame because we should have ditched him two years ago for premium price and could have been better off for it. Perhaps even triggered getting Bruno into the side way sooner than we eventually did.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So looks like the City game will go ahead now.

AND the Burnley game in hand has also been scheduled.

Fri 1 Jan - Aston Villa (H)
    Wed 6 Jan - Manchester City (H) Carabao Cup semi-final
    Sat 9 Jan - Watford (H) Emirates FA Cup
    Tue 12 Jan - Burnley (A)
    Sun 17 Jan - Liverpool (A)
    Wed 20 Jan - Fulham (A)
    Wed 27 Jan - Sheff Utd (H)
    Sat 30 Jan - Arsenal (A)

All of a sudden that schedule is looking very busy!

15. Christiansmith

The calendar is now properly congested. This is now for the management and coaching team to earn their corn. Making judicious use of the resources available. We now almost have 2 players available for each position. Fernandes seem to be unreplaceable and Maguire is deemed crucial. I suspect that Maguire could be rested for the Watford match. With Cavani suspended for the match tomorrow and the cups the likes of Martial and Greenwood have to step up.

The Villa match is now crucial as we need to keep the pressure on the RS. Not an easy match as their record away to other top clubs show. But we need to be patient and make life difficult for Grealish.

Treble likes this.
  16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Cavani banned for the next three games - Villa, City and Watford

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think wholesale changes are on the cards for the Cup game against Watford.

Ighalo up front against his old side with James and Greenwood. There are enough options in midfield to rotate. We have Mata as well. Lingard too. Williams at LB.

And Cavani's ban could have affected us a lot worse than it has tbf.

18. Christiansmith

yep. Cavani may well be needed for the RS game. I am looking forward to that match, which I haven’t the last few years. I hope Ole keeps the key players fresh for it.

Treble and Diego like this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Fantastic stats for Bruno when you consider the rest are predominantly strikers.

please log in to view this image

Treble and Christiansmith like this.
  20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

No Salah, Mane or Firmino :bandit: