1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

What?

please log in to view this image

cytrax and Christiansmith like this.
  2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I’m deadly serious. Don’t get me wrong . When the news dropped on my smartphone I nearly dropped in the street and screamed for joy. But those who think that this is United in pole position for the title need their head examining. We are still nowhere near City in terms of strength. Yes, we could beat any team on our day (like last season) but we need that ruthless consistency that Ferguson instilled in his teams. Ronnie is not going to suddenly give us that.

I don’t honestly think we have improved our title chances but for me one of the best footballers who played the game idolised by United fans not playing for City is good enough for me. Strangely enough I am not that bothered about the title this season.

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So hold on. Let me get this right. 24 hours ago, you thought we had a side to win silverware and that Ole needed to deliver this season

And now we have Ronaldo you think we're actually in a worse position and won't be able to achieve any of that?

Give your head a wobble ffs :confused:

Christiansmith likes this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Talk about bumming everybody out!

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

6. Christiansmith

Ive not changed this position. Ole will definitely be out if he doesn’t deliver something this season. He has nowhere to hide. The squad is good enough.

I didn’t say that CR will put us in a worse position. What I am saying is that Ronnie is not going to suddenly put us in pole position. He’s made the squad more exciting but to expect the club to be now world beating is unrealistic. Juventus was top of the Italian league when they signed him. They were expecting him to provide them with that last missing piece of the puzzle. They went downhill since and scrape through CL qualification last season. But he still was top of the scorers in the league. Make of that what you will.

cytrax likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The rest of the side weren't good enough?

If we already have a side that's capable of winning silverware then Ronaldo being the club's top scorer (if that happens) shouldn't affect that.

I do agree though, his arrival doesn't make us the best team in the world. You have to prove that on the pitch. But I do believe we are stronger, in terms of what he brings when he's on the pitch - not just for himself but the impact it will have on other players, the standards he'll bring for our youngsters off the pitch, and then the options he brings in terms of squad depth and rotation.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Going to be interesting trying to pick a team for each match <ok>

Should be real fun reading how the manager got the selection/formation/tactics wrong if we draw or lose though <laugh>

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Surely even Ole can't fck this up now? <whistle>

10. Christiansmith

Blimey. He definitely can **** it now. His problem will be how he juggles with all the attacking assets h has and get the best system and keep everyone highly motivated. His job has become more difficult not easier.

cytrax and Diego like this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I actually agree with CS. I can't help but think that this is more of an emotional buy than a team building acquisition. Also, Christian's point about Ronaldo's time at Juve should not be lost on us all. I imagine that Allegri needed full commitment beyond self-records to rebuild the team and opted for Ronaldo to move on. You get these larger than life players to come in and it becomes more about them and records in their twilight years than actually working for a team that will be transformed into serious contenders on all fronts, not just the title. I think this is more about nostalgia than outcomes.

The joy here is primarily because United have stopped City from getting Ronaldo. But I think most fans wouldn't care had Ronaldo gone to PSG.

Then on the other hand, I think we are already making excuses why we won't win anything even with Ronaldo back.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Christiansmith likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Two words for you both.

Cavani

PSG

Diego likes this.
  13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

How can it be difficult keep people motivated under these circumstances?

Seriously?

Christiano Ronaldo is about to rejoin United for a two year swansong. During which he will be hell bent on winning something major to go out with a bang. (Ego and that, right!)

If you're 20-23, you're not going to resent that ffs. You're going to ride it out

They should all be absolutely mad for it.

Any that aren't can leave, freely.

14. Christiansmith

I know it sounds negative but I have to admit although I am overjoyed I am more relieved. That he didn’t go to City. It would have been stomach churning to see him wear that blue shirt. More than scumbag Tevez, more than seeing completely faded Schmeichel, or even Andy Cole playing for a non threatening City at the time. But also CR would have made City almost a banker for the title. For that other rivals must be grateful. And before treble jumps on my throat accusing me of inconsistency, let me explain. City are currently on a different level to United. They already have an established champion team, and the addition of a striker like CR would be the icing on the cake. We are building that cake.

Diego likes this.
  15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You actually proved the point with that post. Simply having a player that wins the golden boots award does not necessarily get you titles.

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Eh?

Pretty sure PSG won the league in every year Cavani was there and then didn't as soon as he left.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I seriously think I've just entered a parallel universe on here <laugh>

Bloody hell.

Diego likes this.
  18. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Diego likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

And the fact pretty much every man and his dog confirmed he had been a quality signing for us last season and improved the side.

Even though he ticked the boxes laid out by Cytrax of a player past his best arriving for self interest.

Diego likes this.
  20. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Imagine us handing in our team sheet at the likes of West Ham now. They are going to crap themselves. This isn't just about the effect he has on our squad, its about how other sides now perceive us - we are stronger, we are more complete, we have a potent attack and a strong defence - and we have Fred.

Diego likes this.