1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The concept of a DM has been around a long long time, Fergie never really played with a dedicated one but we always had a player who took the on the holding role when needed and Keane was one of them, still box to box in total though.

Christiansmith likes this.
  2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

In a way McTominay may provide the answer but is he the one for future rather than now? Declan Rice is the one everyone is talking about but I can’t see United paying 100m to get him. Is the DM really the last piece of the jigsaw?

Diego likes this.
  3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If McT develops as i hope he will become more Keane like (box to box), he does seem to have stalled in the last 12 months though.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

How has he stalled? I don’t get the metrics that we use around here to make these calls. I will have him on the pitch any day. He breaks up play and contributes to the attack. Ole should use him as a starter in that holding midfield role alongside Pogba and drive forward from there.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I rate McTominay highly.

I think he has real potential to go on and become a great box to box type player.

I've said before, I see him very much like Fletcher (rather than Keane).

I still think we need more than one though. We can't just rely on him for 60+ games a season if we want to achieve all we want to.

Thanks for ignoring my Soucek post you batards <laugh>

cytrax likes this.
  6. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

So, another twist in the story. If, as seems likely, James leaves, then that frees up the no21 shirt which is the shirt number that Cavani wears when playing for Uruguay. Were he to take no21 then that leaves the door open for CR to take the famous no7 shirt. Some conspiracy theorists might suggest that is the real reason why James was shipped out - who knows...............

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Wouldn't it have just been easier to tell James his shirt number was changing?

Or simpler yet, told Ronaldo he will need to have another number?

8. glazerfodder

James couldn't have just swapped shirt numbers because he was registered with the PL with that number for 20/21. Even if Cavani is prepared to swap his 7 shirt for 21, it would need special dispensation from the PL to allow a mid-season change - don't know why, perhaps its to do with disciplinary records or something, but they can't just sort it out in the dressing room.

CR will get the no 7 shirt, I'm sure that was part of the transfer deal, particularly as he now has a global brand of CR7 hotels, clothing, fragrances, image rights etc - no easy thing to rebrand the entire business model.

Christiansmith likes this.
  9. Christiansmith

Deal done. The GGs simply couldn’t believe what’s fallen into their lap. Not only are they going to make a packet on the signing of CR they are placating the wishes of the fans. And thirdly derailing City’s plans of increasing their fire power. Killing 3 birds with one stone.

it’s got to be said that CR returning together with 2 top acquisitions is much more significant than just getting him alone. The anti United pundits and media would all have come out to say United could only get some player (even a world class one) at the very end of his career.

Football wise, I am praying that Ole will be able to get the most out of him while keeping the whole team and the other players on track. Too much to expect a catalytic effect like Cantona but as long as the performances of the other players don’t fall off, I’ll be happy. Really looking forward to the big matches. Something I haven’t for a long time

cytrax likes this.
  10. glazerfodder

Whatever else happens today, and I still think we will do more business, this has been a phenomenal window. Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane - brilliant business. No hiding place for Ole now though and I'm one of his big fans. if he can't produce results and significant silverware with this squad he has to go.

cytrax likes this.

11. Christiansmith

This. Whatever happens though, he’s helped the club at a low ebb. The team has improved from those of the previous managers. Even though he’s not won a trophy whilst LVG and JM have. I don’t care what others think but at the point he was recruited, no one none of the big names could have done a better job. If he does leave he would leave a team and club in healthier condition than at any time since Fergie.

Compare him with Arteta. I recall the so called pundits crowing at the time how Arsenal got an absolute gem and making a comparison with United. That probably explains why they are so reluctant to call for his head now.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  12. glazerfodder

And Lampard don't forget

Diego likes this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh but if they need special dispensation for Ronaldo to have Cavani's number then the same applied for James.

My original point though is that, that is not the reason James was sold so that's just more media bullshit.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think we should also start including Lingard in our thoughts. And so should Ole. The lad seemed to pull his finger out when he went to West Ham and did the business.

Just looking at it objectively, imagine Lingard also performing. The options we will have, the combinations we could put out. Fck me, the attack is incredible. Just needs Ole to get the best out of all of them.

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Always liked Lingard and thought he should have been a more used player but something happened with him (rumours range from personal/family problems to spending too much time on his other interests fashion etc) no real idea why he fell so far but i tend to believe Ole when he say's his head is sorted now and he's ready to play again.
    The lad (well not so much lad now) is an absolute wasp when on form, chasing around the oppo defence to win the ball back and has a happy knack of getting in the area to score quite often. He can also play a bit :grin:

I know many don't rate Ole as a coach but i honestly believe he is good with the psychology of a footballer and knows when they are ready to play (Martial being the exception <laugh>)

16. Christiansmith

Our strengths are clearly with the attack. Especially with CR coming back. Are we going to make full use of that? First, Ole needs to bin any idea of a cautious approach for any game. We simply have to be brave and on the front foot. Second, we need to get the front to keep a high press, a bit like the RS, to hinder opposition attacks building. Our midfield simply not good enough atm. Third, get the ball early to the creative players. None of the sideways passing in the midfield. Maguire has been very good with his foraging and direct passing to the attack. Varane could be key too.

The Newcastle game could be a good pointer.

17. glazerfodder

Ronaldo gets the no 7 shirt - official (if you read the Daily Mail), plus his second yellow with Portugal means he has been released from international duty and can join the squad ahead of the Newcastle game asap - how convenient.......

Christiansmith, cytrax and Diego like this.
  18. glazerfodder

well worth a read -

ole.jpg

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

No, but thanks! I’ll read revised edition after we’ve achieved something of meaning.

20. glazerfodder