1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours United's ever on going rebuild , are we nearly there yet?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Not sure why didn't just leave last month?

Or did we not actually receive an offer.

He can go to West Ham if they're still interested, not a big deal really as he's not 1st eleven by any stretch.

4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

That's the bit I don't get. If he's not happy here then why not push for a move to West Ham while the window was open rather than turn his nose up at a new contract. he seems to forget that he had a decent spell at West Ham, not for us, his most recent form here was inconsistent at best.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Because you wanted far too much money for him at the start of the window, then when you'd dropped it to a more reasonable price Ronaldo, his childhood hero, re-signed, and who would give up the chance to play alongside their childhood hero?
    I'd like him to return, though we improved the attacking midfield options so he's not really needed, but I don't think he'll come to us when he leaves. iirc one of the reasons he came to us was his mum was getting treatment in London for depression, so I expect he'd prefer to stay close to family. I can see him going to Everton.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I know it's one match.

But, if you focus on today and then realise that a game played concurrently was between two of your main rivals so one or both of those is going to drop points, you know that you have to pick up three points.

At home, to Aston Villa. Good side but mid table if truth be told. Neither contenders or relegation candidates.

So you then lose that match!

Solskjaer made two like for like substitutions due to injuries prior to the 80th minute. Dalot for Shaw, Lindelof for Maguire.

It wasn't until the 82nd minute that Cavani came on. Too late, soz.

If the above doesn't tell everyone that Solskjaer is not the man to manage Manchester United and never will be, then ****ing nothing ever will.

This season will be once again wasted, we'll win nothing, and then he'll hopefully be moved along.

You do not lose at home to Aston Villa when two title 'rivals' are playing each other.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Sorry bollox this ain't going to be sidelined on here. He needs to go and it deserves its own thread.

We shouldn't be waiting either, he needs to go now. I don't want him managing another game.

There'll be players in that squad, some great players who we will be in danger of losing if he stays.

8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Leave the man alone. He loves your club <ok>

Bumps likes this.
  9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Poor Sancho he should come to West Ham for a few months, get his career on track under a proper manager.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

And so it begins! Rangnick is the new manager until the end of the season.

This thread is dedicated to this new chapter for the Club. We are twelve points off the top, in 7th place and in the last 16 of Champions League.

Can Rangnick salvage anything for the club this season? Is there enough time to start making a distance with his ideas that he has so frequently and eloquently communicated?

My take is that it won’t be easy to simply come in and change the culture, mentality and get consistent outcome from these underperforming set of individuals given how long these players have been together without true football leadership to guide them. But surely it will be interesting to watch the transformation through the remaining of the season.

In his first interview, Rangnick indeed sounded like the absolute boss! He rapidly put the nonsense that’s been written about Ronaldo not fitting in ideas to bed. He pointed to the fact that you can’t have a player as good and as fit as Ronaldo and not readapt your football ideas to fit him into the system. This shows that he’s analytical in the way that he sees football as opposed to being a philosophical zealot. That’s a smart take against all the trash we have been reading in the press. He also talked about the clear lack of balance in the team which is full of talented individuals. He even pointed to the fact that we shouldn’t have to depend on scoring three goals to win a game of football like we did against Arsenal. I was very impressed to read the transcripts. Sounds like a full on proper football man which is exactly what we have been missing.

It will be interesting to see how the players take on to this new regime. But players that I think is already made for this is Jadon Sancho. Players like Luke Shaw will have to prove their worth under Rangnick. No more automatic picks, I hope!

And so the journey begins. May the force return to us!

Christiansmith likes this.

11. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Yep. I liked the way he responded to the questions thrown at him by the journos. He tackled the inevitable CR question well. Ronnie is a one off. And I would have thought any manager of whatever shade/theory/system will have to build the team around him. We’ve got to have a chance to win any match as long as we are defensively mean. He is absolutely right about having to score 3 goals to win a match to be untenable. Lots of stuff to be sorted on the training pitch.

cytrax likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

This is my feeling.

I think we have a very good squad. And I think those players want to be led and they want to believe in a system that brings results and they can follow.

I have a feeling that IF Rangnick overhauls the whole approach, instills a new system (which if correct is based around high intensity, workrate, and an well drilled high press) and through his coaching demands it of the players, and this results in them trouncing a side by 2/3/4 goals, I can see the whole team/squad completely transform... in terms of their belief, confidence and actually playing as a team. And they will buy into it completely and not look back.

I'm not expecting it to happen against Palace but I have a feeling, if he's as good as they say, it will happen, and it'll be soon.

Bumps and cytrax like this.
  13. Christiansmith

He will introduce the ‘fear’ factor that has been missing in the previous regime. Players are human beings and no matter how you motivate them by saying the right things they will be more motivated by consequences of their actions. High calibre managers are rarely ‘nice’. Most are demanding and if you don’t perform you’ll be replaced by someone who’ll do the job. Tuchel immediately imposed his authority I remember by subbing the sub at half-time in his first or second match. And I’ve got the feeling that Rangnick is not a manager who’ll take kindly to players questioning or not implementing his tactics or system.

cytrax likes this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh but that's not completely true. The players have to see that the 'fear' factor results in success on the pitch. It's why Keane wasn't a good manager. The players have to believe in the football you're demanding of them. Otherwise you're just a sergeant major constantly bawling at them with no purpose or end result. Tuchel didn't just impose authority, he showed the players, those that followed, that what he wanted, worked. They bought into the football.

Diego likes this.
  15. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think what Christian is saying there is that we first need a manager that commands respect of his players. This is the very first part of being able to implement a system. And if the results follow, it solidifies that relationship. You could see that happen when Pep first took over at City. They were not freely rolling teams over in that first year, if I remember correctly.

Someone in Rangnick’s mold is what we have been missing for the better part of the last decade. LvG was a General in that regard but his methods were wrong and dated. But no one in the squad tried to f with him. Jose was too volatile in the press that he dug his own grave which was too easy to push him into as soon as results stopped going his way. Ole, well, not much to say further there.

I think Rangnick is the first manager that the club has truly recruited since Moyes without the guise of “superstar” coach. This was not an emotional choice. It was clearly a thoughtful decision and executed to meet what the board believes will drive the club forward. That’s what I like most about this chapter.

My expectations are fairly low though as I believe that the process may take time to kick in. I very much like that he’s able to articulate the vision and expectation, especially the hardwork and team-first philosophy. These players need that so badly! As a result, I am certainly happier that we have Rangnick versus a Zidane or even Poch given where we currently stand.

Christiansmith likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Not even the press is going to try and fk around with this guy. He’s far too intellectual about the game for foolish press play.

I actually imagine that the players are already intrigued and eager to follow his leadership.

17. Christiansmith

We need to have a system that optimises all the talent at our disposal especially CR, readily acceptable to the squad, makes the defence meaner but also our attack more creative and productive, makes any replacements through injury or suspension seamless and makes full use of the home crowd support at old Trafford. Not least playing football that the faithful actually want to watch.

It’s not much to ask, is it?

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Interchangeability is going to be a good byproduct if the system works. So if a player loses form, they can be seamlessly deputized. It gives everyone a chance throughout the season. We wouldn’t have DvdB situation. I don’t even know if Amadi is still in the squad. I would also love to see Mejrib integrated into the first team. The boy has insane talent!

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Amad was on the bench for the last game and i think the one before that.

cytrax likes this.
  20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I would love to actually see these fringe players get some games.

Diego likes this.