1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Up for the Cup versus Newport

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 1, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well this is dizzy heights for us reaching this round given our record over the last god knows how many seasons. Can we carry it on at the expense of Newport is the question. I prefer not to look too far ahead and who we may or may not meet if we do.

So our form has gone down the swanee of late and Newport did see a mini rise in their's. Does this give us a clue as to prospects this weekend though? They have a reasonably new Manager who unfortunately has to be Graham bleddy Westley. One of our favourites. He has however seen a bit of an improvement in results. Damn him. I don't know what to expect for this one if I'm honest and realistic. Was our drop in form just a blip or is this the start of season's past. I'm going to say that on balance given our respective league positions that we should win this one. The one thing stopping me from being all gung ho about chances is that we are at Home and that sometimes isn't a good thing with Argyle.

It's about time we went on a bit of a run in the Cup, we are due one. I have my ticket and my seat is booked. Lets hope I'm toasting the next round come 5pm on Saturday.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Have tickets also and for Boxing Day as well.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Lets not get too far ahead notdistant. That's Wycombe which I suppose is appropriate. After stuffing yourself all day on Chirstmas Day it is the time for a sleep on Boxing Day.

4. notDistantGreen

Do I detect a hint of Scrooge....

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Newport down to ten men....Sean Rigg sent off after 23 minutes.

Very weak bench today with Rooney, Palfrey & Fletcher on it.....not much fire power there.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Doncaster 3-0 up in the league....Argyle down to third....:headbang:.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Final score nuffing each....oh dear oh dear.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Newport bottom of the league....down to ten men for three quarters of the match....and Argyle fire blanks for yet another home game....there is something very wrong....even with injuries we should be scoring....depending on apprentices to fill the bench.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

The report i had from my mate was ****ing Shocking nothing else.. will await the reports from the men who went!!

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I went Joe and so did my good wife-both wish we hadn't! Once again we dominated possession and played a little bit of good football at times. Absolutely no end product though and their keeper hardly made a serious save. Lots of tippy tappy passing in triangles which although pretty really didn't cause much of a threat. Newport were reduced to 10 early on following a reckless two footed challenge -very much the correct decision by the ref. They really should have had only 9 on the pitch as their No 2 was booked early on and then received three final warnings from the ref....That said we could have played against 8 and still not scored. Not much else to say really, we had a few chances and should have scored at least two. Newport were poor. Songo was my MOTM and Goodwilly was woeful. His confidence is absolutely shot and wont have been helped by the cheers that went up when his number came up on the subs board.
    Not too many positives other than we are in the draw for the 3rd round, and perhaps if we get a decent draw we might just turn Newport over in the replay.

PS it was bleedy freezing as well. Having to thaw out with a glass of red-it is my birthday after all.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Thanks, lyndy as that is what i heard from a mate who went.. glad i stayed away and watched us smash the Aussies at rugby.

Have a great evening, Happy Birthday.. mine in a few weeks.. good month to be Born.. :emoticon-0150-hands <bubbly>:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer: Cheers mate..

12. notDistantGreen

A very one-sided 0-0 against a poor Newport side who as Lindy says should have been down to 9 in the first half. Scything tackles all round: clearly the new manager there has made his ugly mark.

Goodwillie was woeful I'm afraid: you may think the bench was weak but we looked better with the subs on.

If we'd scored 1, we'd probably have got 4 but we didn't look like scoring despite good approach play.

Worrying.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Tough game next weekend against the leaders!! probably smash them..

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The final score says it all so no need to go into the why and wherefore of it all. We should have scored a few and ended up with nothing as said. We have to offload Goodwillie. The bloke is begining not to even try. His passing was poor and his positioning was just as bad. He gives us nothing and I don't usually go along with cheering a replacement or booing but you could see why the crowd were happy to see him go. Onecredit I would give to Newport. They didn't waste time which most teams would have done until the last 5/10 minutes which was understandable. Thought the first Red was a bit harsh and would have settled for a yellow for me. However, you could almost see the Ref was up for the cards from the second minute and they should have learned something. His record before today was a bit hanging judge. How their No.2 with the stupid name stayed on after being booked after 2 minutes is a bit beyond me. He could have gone 3 times and yet was there at the end. One or two others were looking a bit shakey as well. It was a no contest thing today. We should have won easily and yet we only managed a blank. We might be in the draw for the next round but how will that go? The usual way I suspect. The draw throws up a bumper fixture only for us to lose at Newport in the replay and never make it. Sometimes it's crap being an Argyle fan.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Looking around at the scores in a lot of the matches this weekend there weren't half a load of goals. Typical that our's was a 0 - 0. Funnily enough my son said to me when we were walking out to the ground that he bet it would be nil nil. It's not often I admit he is right about something (dad's perogative) but this time spot on. Pity was he didn't bet on it in reality. I did say on the prediction thread I thought the matches were easy enough results wise but the scores might be hard. Ok there were a couple of upsets in the results but not many. The scores however...........

16. Greenarmyjoe

Is the draw tomorrow evening?

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

7pm on BBC2 Joe.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Thanks, i may be home in time.. hope fully it will be a good draw and give them something to aim at? better away from home?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Notoriously Argyle lose the replay when it comes to a plum draw. Odds are we will get one of the top 5 or 6 and we all will know the result of the replay long before it happens.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sensible....get a grip....we're going to WIN and get PROMOTED......:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0169-dance...:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:.