1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread V Brizzol

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Sep 19, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Very short report tonight as it is the wife's birthday and I am cooking!

Firstly it was great to meet a couple of members of this forum and although you may not have enjoyed the match Plym, I hope you enjoyed the day out at a sun drenched Home Park.

A high tempo affair from the start with Argyle exerting the early pressure. Lots of slick passing at speed but tbh too many stray passes, mistakes and little in the way of shots on target. Rovers were obviously here for a point and spoiled the game at every opportunity. Second half much of the same although we had clearly been told to shoot on site, and we did, including a couple of ridiculous shots from Hartley. Their keeper pulled off a great save with 10 to go but just when it looked like it was going to fizzle out to in a goaless draw Argyle took the lead through a scrappyish goal; but they all count. The chants of 'we are top of the league' lasted about 2 mins before the ref gave a penalty to them- my initial thought was that it was somewhat harsh-I was more concerned about the prone Luke M especially as we had already used all three subs... who was going to go in goal for the penalty and 8 mins extra time that the ref thought fit to add on?....as it happened, Luke recovered, received a yellow card, and was powerless to stop their equalizer from the spot- he did however receive a standing ovation shortly after for a world class save that prevented all 3 points going to Bristol.

1-1 was probably a fair result in front of 10600, Referee and linesmen were pretty poor and the ref bottled a couple of key decisions- no idea why Curtis Nelson was booked after being shoved by their player..

No harm done and a couple of 'easier' fixtures to come. safe journey home Ron!

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your report Lyndhurst..hope you cooked a great meal for the Birthday Girl..

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Why were you not invited Mrs Jools!! <diva>

4. lyndhurstgreen

I did ....as always! A selection of Italian dishes.

5. lyndhurstgreen

Ooooh don't blame me, by coincidence Plym and his wife bought tickets only 8 along from my season ticket seats , and then sensible popped over. Didnt know you were still attending Jools otherwise am sure they would have been in touch.......

6. Greenarmyjoe

Linda, they did not want any trouble at the ground so they never invited Mrs Jools:emoticon-0146-punch:emoticon-0146-punch:emoticon-0146-punch, i could not attend as away in Torbay, but may meet up tomorrow with them as i did meet Ron last year in london.. Hope you all had a good time..

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Plym's wife was present so it wasn't men only thank you very much. Pleasure to meet the chaps and Mrs Plym.

Have to say that Argyle did everything right in the first half except make a telling last pass. Reid was poor today and nothing seemed to stick to him. Control zero and his passing non existant. I thought he should have been subbed much sooner than he was. Carey once again my man of the match for us. Might have considered Luke for that but his penalty and lucky to stay on move wasn't clever. I was expecting a red if honest. No comment on the decision as I sit a long way away and to be fair didn't have the best of views. Jervis got the goal again which bounced off him. One day he might score one that he means to get. But, I don't care how they go in. We should have burried Bristol in the first half and if our final pass had been any good I think we would have. We struggled to improve in the second half although as said above it was a decent match with plenty of incident. Incidentaly we should have had a nailed on penalty of our own when Brunt got fouled. The defender got no touch on the ball at all. Strangely in the end I think we could have lost this one. The final 15 minutes, including all the stoppage time. was spent in our box it seemed and Luke did pull off one world class save to keep us in it. I would have said it was 2 points lost at one stage but in the end I think it could have been a point gained and was fair enough.

8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi folks.....just arrived back......five hours from Plymouth to home .....not bad.....two trains plus underground and a bus......say more tomorrow.

PS never did meet up with Joe ........he's a busy man.......but might see him at Dag & Red by the sounds of it.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Hi Plym, Sorry i could not make it yesterday.. I was away in Torbay at the weekend and came home yesterday afternoon and had to look after the little man as the Mrs was still in torbay resting!

Yes i am hoping to be at the Daggers game..

I have read you met up with a few others.. enjoyed your stay i hope and the weather was not to bad.. sorry again but will catch up again when i am your way.. Did sensible have the stars

10. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I cannot remember the last home game I watched.....a long time back.

What did surprise me was Argyle's approach to a game at home......I was expecting a more attacking line up and that they would show more authority and try to dominate and get the green army going.......I am used to seeing them playing away and attacking on the break and putting the home team on the defensive with quick raids from defence, what was evident was that there was less opportunity and space to attack at home with the away team being more defensive and cautious.

For division two the game was quite entertaining and Mrs Plym found it more interesting than she expected......she did make a few comments about that nice Mr Derek Adams and his team, and the lack of players out wide up field when McCormick cleared the ball up field. This was more the style that they use in away games and I did mention when reporting on the Wimbledon game at the start of the season how McCormick targeted Jervis who quite often won the ball in the air directing it towards the penalty area with some success for breaking players to run on too.

Rovers are a better away team than home and had success in the Conference last year on their travels.......so they had their share of opportunities during this game.

When Argyle scored with less than five minutes to go the game should of been over and we would have been top of the league....but give Rovers credit they didn't give up and caught us out with a through ball down the middle leaving McCormick no alternative but to go in for the ball.........from where I was it looked a 50/50 ball....and maybe another Ref would have played on instead of giving a penalty......he gave Luke a yellow card which I couldn't understrand......If the Ref decided that Luke had fouled the player then why wasn't it a straight red because there wasn't any defender behind Luke so he was the last defender and he stopped the Rovers player from being through on goal.

That was a dampener giving away an equalizer.....but a short while later the same player looked likely to have scored a winner until McCormick brought off a brilliant save....now that would of been a disaster.

Reid I feel at times gets not enough support from Refs.....there was one moment in the second half, right in line with where I was sitting when McCormick lofted a long ball down the centre and Reid was trying to stand his ground and the defender literally was holding Reid by the hips and marched him foreward literally six feet.....if that isn't a foul what is ?

It was nice to meet Lindy who amazingly was only ten feet away in the same row !!.....sensible came and said hello as well....so it was nice being able to put faces to usernames and have a face to face chat.

I couldn't help but notice that my local team....Bromley (2miles from me) thrashed Torquay putting seven goals past them away at Torquay....although Bromley had only been promoted this season to the Conference .....teams should take note that they are good away.....as Torquay have found out.