1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread V Crawley

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Oct 3, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Having been lucky to take all three points on Tuesday night, Argyle put in a performance that should have made the victory far easier than it eventually turned out be be.

For the second match in a row Argyle played the 'wrong' way in the first half i.e. towards the Devonport end and it seemed to work; lots of free flowing passing football and numerous half chances that we failed to convert. Crawley offered little in response other to fall over at the slightest touch and hoodwink the ref into awarding free kicks and giving out yellow cards. Just as the crowd were getting restless and looking forward to half time, Reid was put through and coolly slotted past the keeper to give the greens a deserved lead. Personally I thought he looked offside and by the Crawley reaction so did they, but fortunately the flag stayed down. The start of the second half was more of the same and Argyle set up camp in the Crawley half and won a succession of corners -surely it would only be a matter of time before we scored again. However we started to slow things down, sit back and 'manage' the one nil lead. Inevitably Crawley came back into it and got a equalizer following a disputed free kick. Luke saved well but the ball rebounded off the bar and he had no chance with the follow up effort. Looked like Argyle's chance to end the day top of the league had gone, but in the 89th min Boateng popped up to sidefoot into the net after their keeper failed to hold a Carey freekick. 2-1 and richly deserved, could easily have been 4 or 5.
    Reid was bizarrely given the sponsors motm- he was better today but other than the goal didn't do a huge amount other than miss a couple of other really good opportunities. Boateng was my MOTM again but everyone played well.
    The ref somehow managed to book 6 players including Sawyer and Mchugh which I think means they have a one match ban under the totting up process (5 yellows before Nov) I presume they can serve this in the paint Pot match v exeter on Tuesday.

All in all an excellent day in glorious Devon sunshine 'we are top of the league...'.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks Lyndy for your report...it made good listening nice to have Gordon Sparks back..

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Lyndy for the report,.....too early for sensible to comment he'll be down the pub still.

Little worrying that when we are on top we don't get the goals to confirm our dominance.....sickening to give Crawley a late equalizer...before Boateng got a well deserved winner.....MOM surely on most peoples card.....followed the game on the BBC plus the website.....doesn't help the blood pressure.....you see how the other teams are doing.....swapping positions with Wycombe.....they being two points in front then us ,doesn't help you enjoy it much......I think we would have probably still been top with a draw.....but to lead by two points is great.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pretty much sums it up for me as well lyndhurst although I'm not convinced Reid was offside and I sit a lot squarer to it than you do. Close call but the lino wasn't up with play most of the match so down to him whichever way it should have gone. Good cool finish by Reid and he needed that.

I could not stick Crawley when Evans was in charge there and thought it was because of him rather than the team. However, I decided today it was a combination of both. I can't stick him and I think Crawley just play that way anyway with or without the toad. They are a shower of moaning whinging cretins. They got what they deserved in the end which was precisely nothing.

Back to the MOM now. This is going to shock one or two but for his first half performance especially I would give it to Wylde. The only criticism I would have is he should look up before he crosses to make sure he has somebody to cross to. He did very well today without actually managing to put in a tackle or do much defending. I did think though that as a unit the whole team deserved something. The yellows might have done us a favour in their timing because you are right that they can be served in the paint trophy.

The officials were their usual awful selves. Where do they get them from because the only bookings that should have happened were one each. The rest were soft indeed. The Ref also missed a stonewall penalty for us in my opinion when Jervis was brought down in the box. It looked nailed on for me and he must have seen it. So should the lino mind but they never see anything at all even who kicks the ball out of play.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I forgot to mention one incident in the game. That was the volley by Carey from the left hand side just outside the box in the first half. I actually thought it was Wylde who did the deed but everyone seems to think it was Carey so guess it must have been. What an effort that was and if ever there was a shot on goal I desperately wanted to go in it was that one. Long pass in the air and first time volley which whistled just over the bar. It couldn't have been too far away. You could have closed the goal of the season competition had it gone in. To appreciate it you had to be there.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Didn't attend yesterday but I'm glad you are coming around on Wylde Sensible.

He's not a David Beckham type crosser of the ball who can drop it on somebody's head from 40 yards away.

As the pundits put it, he plays it into "a space", often a hard, low surface-skimming cross behind the defence but too far for the keeper to come for - Alan Hansen's "corridor of uncertainty". I've seen Jervis get 2 goals by arriving late to meet those at the far post and I think a third on TV. Jervis gets it if Reid does the same, we'll get bucket loads of goals.

Personally, I'll glad if a few players get a rest against Exeter. Local rivals they may be but it's a nothing game compared to getting promoted. Carey can stay at home for one.....

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yep i agree let Excretia play our youth team.. Getting promoted is our main aim.. The tin pot cup is a distraction for us now.. But then again we want to win against them. The morons will be out in force no matter who play's! ...

8. lyndhurstgreen

I thought it was Wylde as well, and my son thought it was Sawyer- will have to wait for the highlights. Whatever, had it gone in it would probably have been the best goal I have seen at HP.

9. lyndhurstgreen

Having seen the 10 mins highlights on Player, it was def Carey, it would have been the best goal ever, and Reid was onside.!

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Told you he was lyndy. I think what threw me ref the rifle shot was the boots. Carey does wear bright ones although not as bright as Wylde's. Anyway, it should have bleddy gone in and we would be writting about it for weeks.

11. lyndhurstgreen

was one of those rare ones that actually looks as good/better on replay as it did in real time.