1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread V Exeter

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Oct 6, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Another excellent performance saw off our near neighbours without too many difficulties.

Argyle's enforced changes saw Purrington and Simpson replace Sawyer and Mchugh whilst a slight knock to player of the month Carey gave Tanner a chance to impress. To be honest we were outstanding in the first half, and if anything even better than Saturday. Wave after wave of attacking football full of slick passing made for an entertaining 45mins. Reuben went v close with a header which brought an excellent save from their keeper and a smart header from Boateng from a Tanner corner ensured Argyle went in at half time with a justified lead. To be fair Exeter played their part but apart from the occasional pot shot they didnt really threaten Luke's goal.

Second half failed to start due to a floodlight failure, but just as fears were growing that it would be match abandoned, power was restored and we kicked off about 20 mins late. Any worries that the delay might affect the result were soon put to bed when Tanner picked the ball up well inside his own half, ran the length of the pitch and coolly slotted home-a goal reminiscent of Scott Sinclair's effort some years ago. Exeter rang the changes with 3 subs, including pantomime villain, the ineffective Clint Morrison, Argyle sat back a littleand 'managed' the game but still we never looked like conceding. Time and again Wylde marauded down the left and carved out plenty of chances, but poor decision making meant we couldn't add to the 2-0.

A pitch invasion by a knuckle dragging moron (Devonport end ) provided some irritation but it was soon game over and most of the 9400 celebrated. Tanner deservedly received the sponsor's MOTM but it was a top performance throughout , Reuben was much improved and Nelson also made a major contribution.

For once, Ill give a positive mention to the ref who had a pretty good match and managed the match with a light touch.

Another morale boosting performance and result-top of the league and JPT southern section last 8- bring on Sunday.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks lyndhurst. I said elsewhere that I was surprised at the size of the crowd tonight for this one. Good money in the bank so not to be sniffed at plus some prize money as well.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just read a sumary from Adams. "Exhilarating" is how he described the performance. He said previously that he thought the first half on Saturday was the best he had seen us play but tonight was simply the best, better than all the rest..........

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well that went well when the lighting allowed it to....2-0 win against them up the road.

Exeter do seem to rotate their squad....even so they did have their regulars playing.... so a good result against a team that beat Portsmouth away recently.

Pleasing to play so well with three regular first choice players out of the team....Sawyer,McHugh and golden boy Carey ,who was left out so he could recover fully from a knock. That was a really good display and I'm hoping to track down Tanner's individual goa thatl started from his own half.

We still need to work on that final third of the pitch....converting more of the chances that we make.....ok we've only not scored in one game....but I don't think I'm nit picking by saying we need more of those chances converted. I would think Adams is working on that aspect of the game.

Good to see Purrington and Simpson playing well......I do feel that there is a lot more to come from Simpson.....he was part of Crawley's winning Div2 team the other season and captain as well.....he must be getting back to full fitness now.....Adams went for him when he was still injured and Adams hasn't brought in a bad player yet.

Looking for a good away performance on Sunday against Notts County....who literally brought in a whole squad of new players.....they haven't as yet sorted themselves out ....so let us take advantage of that and take three points off them.......PASALB are showing the game live at the Hoop & Grapes up town....but I'll stay at home and follow it on the BBC website......I haven't sold my soul to Sky......the killers of British Sport to the masses.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Plymborn - principles are a fine thing to be guided but not ruled by. Get thee hence to the Hoop & Grapes and leave your soul at home to get the roast beef on the table for when you return!

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No No No notDistant I can't do it.....there might be a local pub showing it ....but I doubt it........a few years back i did watch Plymouth play someone in the back of a local pub with no sound on.....because on the main screen there was a big rugby international being played with all the associated noise that would be ramped up from it......i think I was the only one watching....got a few strange looks from those going to and fro to the loo.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Why were Plymouth Argyle playing in the back of a Pub? <cheers>

I will take your advice on this occasion notdistant and go to another place and watch it. I feel I'm not dropping my principles as I'm not actually subscribing with cash. I will of course scowl throughout just to emphasise my hatred of it all. If Argyle score, or rather when, I shall only applaud respectfully and not show any over the top joy.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Because they were playing Subbuteo sensible.....:rolleyes:.

Have seen the game video now.....only one team in it......what was obvious to me was some of the wasted shots on goal when there where alternatives.....especially near the end when Tanner broke through and blasted straight at the goalkeeper......if he had looked to his right he would have seen two Argyle players completely in open space....available for a tap in.....I expect the luxury of being 2-0 up dominated the moment......good job we weren't losing......I expect Tanner felt he could repeat his earlier goal......oh... to be young with the world at your feet.

9. notDistantGreen

Good man Sensible. I do appreciate what you and Plymborn are saying but in the end the effect of a few standing on principle and staying away is zero. Meanwhile, Plymborn is missing the chance to see 90 minutes of Argyle coverage when he gets limited opportunity to do so live. I know how that feels and it's cutting his nose off to spite his face given Sky won't know the difference one way or the other.

I was tempted to say that Plymborn is used to getting funny looks whan hanging around outside the loos but I decided not to.

10. notDistantGreen

Plymborn - where did you find the video footage of the Exeter game?

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Their is a link most weeks on PASOTI or ATD.....of course the League is always SKY.....cannot remember the cup video (ITV ?)....have you got access to either site ?

PS....just checked.........also on official website.....under Argyle 5000....open to all to see.....I'm not signed up and I could still view it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  12. notDistantGreen

Thanks Plymborn, some unusual camera angles but the best the JPT gets I suppose!

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym i am booking up the train and room for the Daggers game so i hope to catch up then,, may try a beer! if i start drinking again <ale> ..