1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v Millwall 3-5

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Nov 10, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oh well, Argyle's interest in all 3 cup competitions ended for another season by mid November albeit after a spirited performance and a highly entertaining goal fest at HP.

Back to back home defeats are clearly not a cause for celebration, but there were plenty of positive signs that bode well for the remainder of the league campaign. Did Millwall deserve the victory? well probably... Was it a 5-3 match , probably not . In fact they probably had 7 or 8 shots on target and scored five, unfortunately all 5 were largely due to poor defending and errors and as so often happens , teams from higher leagues know how to punish mistakes. Hartley had an absolute nightmare from start to finish. He is a good header of the ball and an aggressive tackler, but lack of pace and tendency to over play things is starting to be exposed. Carey failed to mark their scorer of the first who finished with a deft header; Luke failed to hold onto an average shot and it spilled to a following up striker to slot home, one was a penalty and Mchugh scored a very soft own goal. At the other end Jervis scored a smart brace and Carey's contribution was another absolute screamer from fully 35 yards that will surely be goal or the round/month/season.

Despite going in 2-1 down at HT I thought we at least held our own in the first half or maybe even shaded it. Millwall however were strong and well drilled and it was no surprise when they went further ahead and eventually ran out 5-3 winners. McCormick , Nelson and Hartley all have knocks- not sure how bad. Carey got the sponsors MOTM for his wonder goal but Mchugh was also very good. Wylde flattered to deceive again. The rest were okay, and for once we had a decent set of officials.

Sad that the mindless morons from block 14 decided to get involved with the equally brainless Millwall fans after the match. The stewarding clearly failed and the skirmishes continued outside the ground afterwards.

Yes we lost 3-5, but still enough good stuff to remain positive for the rest of the season.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks lyndy for your views.....and your positive read on the outcome.

Not so sure about our so called good defence at the moment.....hope it's just an hiccup and getting back to Div2 games will settle them down.

Must of shook their confidence a little conceding seven goals at home in two games.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is where the lack of numbers in the squad begins to tell. Luke was carrying a knock on Saturday and it was well noticeable everytime he cleared the ball. We can't afford for him to be out. We need a bit more cover I think.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

lyndhurst......is that you taking the salute in the AFT calender for the month of November ?

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I think Hartley has also been carrrying a knock for a while (I said I wouldn't have played him) and Twiitter reported that Nelson was limping for a while after hurting an ankle or perhaps a knee after an awkward landing.

Assuming we can recover some form, can we maintain it with such a small squad? How did Threlkeld do? Is he centre back or full back material?

6. lyndhurstgreen

I have no idea- not seen it, but if it is the same picture as the one in Saturday's program then yes. It was taken in the pouring rain Armistice day last year (2014)- there is me with the wreath an RM Sgt next to me, and Luke and Curtis in the one I am thinking of. Let me know if it is the same one and I will buy a copy!

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I think it's you from our brief meeting Lindy.....you seem to be standing I think in the centre circle with Luke on your left and a poppy wreath in front of you.....possible the RM Sgt behind you outside the circle with naval personnel on his right and players on his left..... the Lyndhurst Stand behind you all.....seems to be empty ?

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Luke McCormick it seems was limping before the game......and showed signs of it when kicking the ball.

We definately seemed to be playing players who are not an 100% fit.....that's all it takes to be half a yard slow on the ball.....might answer a few questions why the defence have not done well in the last two games. what does it say about Adams faith in some of his squad.....especially Bittner with Luke limping before the match ?

9. lyndhurstgreen

Sounds like the same event but a different shot- it was midweek just before a training session (hence the empty stand)- I laid a wreath on the center circle with Luke at the clubs request - last post, two minutes silence and prayers. To be fair, all the players and club staff turned out to participate in the event even though it was hosing down!- i managed to get the 'Argyle wreath' made by RBL with very little notice and I think the club made a donation to them last season.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Players did seem to be in more casual footwear......not noticeable that it was raining in the picture.

11. lyndhurstgreen

am sure it was that day-not aware that anyone else has done anything similar, before or since. Thinking back, we did the actual ceremony in the rain and then 'restaged' it afterwards for some more phots. ill have to track down a copy. is it this year's calendar or next?

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Get a copy for Sensible, he will put it up in bar> is he the bar manager now the woman have gone? He scared them all off...

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

This seasons calendar....August to July......the Trust generally have a table outside the Devonport end just as you go towards the Lyndhurst entrances......at least that's where it was when I bought an AFT Fanzine magazine the day of the Rovers game.....I doubt if they'd sell it in the shop.