1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v Reading U21S

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Jul 25, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just a few comments. Normally don't enjoy friendlies but today was an exception at a cool but sunny Home Park. Not going to go into much detail (haven't worked out all new new players names/positions yet!) but today gives some optimism for the rest of the season. All the new signings did okay against a fairly good Reading U21 side. Boateng was particularly impressive- remind me of a much stronger and calmer Bolasie for some reason-he could go far and it is great we have him for half a season. Gary Sawyer slotted in at left back- it was as he has never been away.
    Both teams played some good passing football and both missed a penalty in the first half. Argyle probably had most of the ball with Wylde impressive down the left wing and Jervis pretty good on the right, Brunt did well as the loan striker with the lob sided diamond behind him (I think). Reuben replaced Brunt at HT and looked sharp (if a pound or two heavy). Fair play to him, he put the 2nd away with typical Reid coolness.

Did we learn anything? not really, but all the new guys did well and we appeared to play with a purpose and to a plan. Looked a bit shaky at the back at times and Reading hit the post 3 times, but we looked good going forward.

Certainly didn't miss any of those that have departed, and am looking forward to the season with even more optimism.

MOTM Boateng- class act with a good range of passing and a calmness that belies his youth-a bit too left footed though?

The pitch looked stunning and the 1485 that were there all seemed to be satisfied.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And the score was.........(schoolboy reporting error there).

I thought about going and then thought I wouldn't.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Too much thinking for you sensible.....2-1 win......better than a 2-1 defeat.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know I got a headache. Decent enough result because the Reading U21 mob are supposed to be good opposition even if they are young.

5. lyndhurstgreen

Ah yes , a bit of a pre season standard report, and Reading were indeed quite good.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What about the important stuff like what the pasties were like?

I see the attendance was just short of 1500. It's the clubs own fault it wasn't higher. Maybe next year they won't forget to book a game and have to scramble about like amateurs again.

7. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

No mention of the missing seats in the Barne Park End or the the home dug out is now what was the away dug out ..... Errrrm that was most of our 1st team against an U21's side .... I am saying nothing !

8. lyndhurstgreen

Alright, alright, the dugouts have been switched (the Home one is now nearer the Barn Park end ) so that the manager can 'get in the ear of the linesman' - no idea how this will be beneficial. Equally have no idea why there are seats missing from the BP end I can only assume they will be replaced in time for the Portsmouth match. Lots of people wearing smart new home shirts(inc us) and a couple wearing away kits. Luke's new goalkeeping kit is the worst he has worn for a few seasons(turquoise blue?). Didn't have a pasty or a hot beverage , although they seemed to be in plentiful supply.

It was a pleasant enough afternoon which gave the team a run out against a technically gifted side but which didn't really give many clues about how good we are. pse direct any further questions direct to the club, because that's all I know!

Torquay on Tuesday - not sure if i should post any comments!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh go on.......who was there? What were their names? What were their trainers like? Did you take any selfies? Was the bloke from Big Brother there? Any other celebs?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Please Lindy we would like you to give us your view on the game.......but only if you do not try to predict the result before.....:rolleyes:

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Beside what Lindy said Jules......keep the linesman/ assistant ref away from the away teams dug-out and any comments or suggestions that they want to influence him/her with.

12. lyndhurstgreen

The seats in the BP end have been removed in an attempt to fix a leak. For anyone with STs at the back of the lyndhurst it is to be hoped that the club employ someone with a power washer to remove the large amount of guano (seagull and pigeon) that has been deposited on their seats.

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for your report Mr. Lyndy.