1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

V Tranmere

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Apr 25, 2015.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

A tense day at home park saw Argyle take the necessary three points to (almost) secure a play off spot and sadly also saw Tranmere relegated to the conference.

Lots of pre match stuff got everyone in the mood -Luke (no surprise)won the player of the season awards, Wottsie was honored for his services to the club, the RBL were there and we remembered those no longer with us, the Argyle fans who passed away this season (including my mum) got a minutes applause and those that never came home from a match at valley parade 30 years ago received a perfectly observed minutes silence.

The match itself was a scrappy affair with both sides contriving to give the balll away. Reuben converted an early and somewhat dubious penalty (at least from our angle in the Lynddy) . We let then back into it by sitting back and they scored the equalizer with a good strike before Tareiq H-D made it 2-1 with an excellent long range shot from outside the box.

Second half much the same -the game was stretched and there were chances at both ends before Lewis Allesandra scored a tap in having been put through by the probably offside Ansah (who had replaced RR).

Time to celebrate as the news that Luton were loosing reverberated around HP. Still time for Tranmere to pull one back and for a few knuckle draggers to invade the pitch, one during the match and the rest at full time. Quite amusing when those on the pitch realised their 'mates' weren't following them and the rest of the crowd were booing .

Respect to Tranmere fans who backed their team throughout and to our club who waited for the Tranmere fans and players to leave before doing their well received lap of honour.

So playoffs here we go (barring something very odd next sat). First leg 7.45 kick off on Saturday the 9th.-ill be there!

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thought it was quite an entertaining match today lyndhurst. It was definately an away team going for a result that's for sure. When they went one down they picked it up and went for it. We let them. When they equalised it sort of drifted off again until we scored the second. Went for it again and even after the third went in they still went for it. Ok they had to but a lot of sides might well have just rolled over so massive credit to Tranmere for giving it a go. Oh how quiet the Devonport went when Tranmere scored their second. Oh how they blew thier imaginary whistles to end the game. Relieved is what they were at the end and rightly so.

From where I sit the pen looked dodgy. Alessandra and Ansah did not look offside. The lino for once was quite on the ball on the lyndhurst side. Not much he got wrong and I never expect them to flag for fouls anyway. Ref was a bit odd at times. He let things go he should never have and occasionally whistled for things he shouldn't have. He was consistent for both sides though although you would think he was a homer given some of the reactions from the Tranmere players. He wasn't and their passion boiled a bit which was understandable given their position.

I think it would take a complete disaster to overturn our playoff position now. Job done even if they made a mountain out of doing it. Tough on Tranmere but somebody has to go out of the league at this end of the proceeding so would have sympathy for whoever it was. They were crapest over the season so it's them. Very good support from their fans today though who gave their side all the support they could. Hats off to them. Learned today that the playoff first leg is on a Saturday ko 7.45pm for the cameras. I'd say bollox to them. They pay us very little so why should they dictate. I know they will regardless but just felt the need for the two fingers up.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Forgot to mention the crowd of just short of 10000 today. Impressive and great turnout from Tranmere.

4. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

So what is the playoff format..home and away total goals ?

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes BC 2 legs,

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

7th play 4th and 5th play 6th. Home game would be 7th and 6th first followed by midweek reverse of fixtures. Agregate score counts and in event of draw then extra time on game 2 followed by pens. Do not think away goals count double in this one. As 7th team then first game is as Lyndhurst says in final line above. Second game would be either on the following Tuesday or Wednesday I'd guess.

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was more concerned about Luton losing.......when Southend went down to ten men it looked a bit dodgy......and then Tranmere getting a second made it a bit too tight personally,

Without checking the league positions.....I think we can still play Southend,Bury or Wycombe W in our play-off game (assuming we our alright on goal difference at Shrewsbury).

I must admit I find it hard to comprehend that little Bromley will be playing the likes of Tranmere next season in the Conference.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Something else that deserves a mention today was that the Bradford disaster was remembered. At halftime some penis brained scroat decided it would be fun to let off a couple of smoke bombs in the concourse under the lyndhurst stand. This set the alarms ringing and caused the shut down of the refreshment kiosks. Highly amusing....not. There was also the moron who ran on the pitch whilst the game was still going on. Surprised he could climb over the barier he was that fat. I do despair sometimes.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sensible, you will never rid these Buffoons.. they like the attention.. he must of had is pasties before he climbed on the pitch, or unless that kiosk had run out and he was wanting to get to another one.. :emoticon-0146-punch

I hear that Bolasie is wanted by Liverpool and palace say no les than.. wait for it? 40 million.. Joke he is worth a tenth of that at most :emoticon-0172-mooni

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

As described, a tense and scrappy affair but exciting nevertheless. Tranmere and their fans certainly went down with all guns blazing and there should be some pride mixed with their disappointment. It's a real shame to see famous old names like Tranmere and Bristol Rovers (and Torquay) outside the league and I wish them luck in getting back where they belong. Could so easily have been us.......

Plus points for me were the back 3, especially McHugh for handing a centre forward the size of an American fridge. O'Connor in midfield. Bobby Reid and Mellor looking a bit more like themselves. Alessandra, as always, the best player on the field by several lengths.

Negatives; Too much hoof ball, we can do better than that. Holmes-Dennis who I had great hopes for. He let a Tranmere player cut inside him for their second goal and looked generally unsure, Blizzard who was anonymous. Reuben Reid who didn't acheive much apart from one shot on the second half which the Tranmere keeper parried away at the near post after his defenders had made the unwise decision to leave Reid unmarked in the corner of the penalty box. He made the penalty look so easy though, send the keeper one way and slot the ball into the other bottom corner, what's hard about that?

I might be inclined to bring in Brunt, Ansah and Banton for the 2 Reids and Alessandra against Shrewsbury to give those 3 key players a rest before the play-offs.

PS Any idea how the play-off tickets will be allocated? Full season ticket holders first for sure, but after that?

11. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

As a Shrews fan I love your idea about resting some of your key players against us on Saturday. We need to win to have a chance of the title though I suspect Cambridge are not good enough to get even a draw against Burton. Hope you win the play-offs and we see you in league 1 next season.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is no reason for Rueben to play in the next game. A couple of weeks off would do him the world of good and I said this a while back. He looks finished and every game it gets worse. All power to him for carrying on but no time to be brave.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm a bit surprised you say Blizzard was annonymous notdistant. I thought he ran about the pitch and did put a lot of effort in. It's not his fault he hasn't got any pace because if he did have I think he would be a terrific player and not with us. He closed down a lot and put challenges in all game. Passing a little off a few times but them again if you think Bobby did well then Blizzard's passing wasn't any worse than his at times. Thought Bobby was a tad lazy in his passes at times and tried showboating a few others when it wasn't the place for it. Him losing the ball was the catalist to one of their goals.

14. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

excuse the intrusion, but congratulations on reaching play offs, 3 points ahead and 8 goals ahead, please rest who you can, and good luck. keep practicing penalty taking in case of extra time etc. we welcome you to Shrewsbury and would also welcome 3 points!

15. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We're good at losing against teams we should trounce......and done well against teams we should lose too.

Trouble is that our top scorer Reuben Reed who made the league two team last weekend, has been carrying an injury for a couple of months at least.....and needs rest to improve it....he's been playing 60/70 minutes most weeks so not ideal situation.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I reckon we will win next Saturday at least 2 - 1. We probably don't need the result so it's just the sort of game we will get them in. Sorry Atcham Jack. On the other hand we could lose it 1 - 0 if your lot settled for that right now of course. I couldn't see Luton doing an 8 niler.