1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread VAR Watch

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Skylarker, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

I know some are in favour of VAR and some aren't...

I'm not a fan but that's beside the point.

This week we've seen the good and bad side of it.

Leicester rightly awarded a goal that was given offside.

Willian getting booked for diving when there was clear contact. All the pundits thought it was a pen...when the VAR refs were asked they said the ref didn't make an error.

So let's see what decisions it throws up for us as time goes on and discuss on here...hopefully we'll then be able to work out if it's a good thing or utter ****e.

So far its been shockingly bad imo. The confederations cup was the first sign... last night (although very funny) also showed it's broken.

Anyone changed their minds about it? Good or bad?

Lovearsenalcock and BobbyD like this.
  2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

****. Takes longer than expected and the retard referees will always protect their colleagues rather than have them look like idiots.

Smash it up.

pieguts, Libby, BobbyD and 2 others like this.
  3. Skylarker

That's basically what happened last night. VAR hq saying the ref didn't make 'an obvious error'

Hmm yes he ****ing did you bellend.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Willian dived.
    He started going down before contact had even been made.
    Definite booking for me.
    You are either forced down (fouled) or you go down (Dived).
    For me he could have stayed on his feet and he didn't.

5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Contact doesn’t mean there was a foul. The pundits were therefore wrong. I thought the ref got everything right.

6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

They're all tossers, that old wrinkly one from R.E.M. Who comments on stuff on BT Sport is the worst, he basically just says the ref got it right every time.

"I can see why the ref didn't give the pen, he clearly can't see the studs in the face from 15 yards away because of the spec of dust floating past him, it's also not his fault that the player died as his priority is to tie his shoelace, which was undone".

Libby and Skylarker like this.
  7. Skylarker

I know it's a contact sport but for me it was a dead cert pen. I can't stand Chelsea as much as the next man but I honestly think that was a stone wall pen.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Powerspurs just likes being controversial and bodinkis lost it ever since i had to discipline him for his faux pas earlier in the year.

Of course it was a pen, the defender sticks his leg out so that William has to jump over it and William clips it (willian has not changed direction to run into the defender). If var can't sort out this sort of decision then just do away with it.

At least we can say the ref made an honest mistake lol.

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

The only reason Willian "clips it" is because, when jumping, he trails his left leg and leaves his foot pointing down to ensure contact.
    He starts going down before contact is even made. He dived.
    He was not bought down, he went down.
    So what if he had to jump the players leg, you can jump up in the air and land on your feet, just because you jumped doesnt mean you have to fall on your arse.

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He's been impeded you fanny. How much medication you been taking recently? :p

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

So you need to drop like a sack of **** when impeded?
    That impediment did not force him to the ground, he chose to go to ground, so he dived, simple as.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yes otherwise you won't be given a foul if you stay on your feet (provided the clip didn't mean him fall over) even though he was fouled

13. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Then that is what needs to be addressed, why the referees only give fouls if players fall over.
    Maybe if fouls were correctly called regardless, players would be less inclined to dive.

14. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think people understand the Willian one.

Took VAR cameras to slow it right down on the perfect angle to see he was slightly clipped.

Therefore the referee did not make a clear and obvious error. They are the rules.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

the whole point of VAR is to make sure mistakes aren't made?

Else what's the point in them.

Maybe they should say VaR will only be used for offsides and everyone would accept it as that is more black and white.

Think that's the only place we use VaR and it has to be for immediate offside decisions (about right for what happened to nacho

16. PowerSpurs

The fact that this isn’t clear cut simply shows how badly the Laws are written.

17. PowerSpurs

The the point I was making was that since contact doesn’t prove a foul it shouldn’t have been mentioned by the pundits. They should have been discussing whether the tackle was ‘careless’ which is the criterion for a foul. Since that is clearly a matter of judgement I can’t see how it can be over-turned by VAR.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Contact doesn't necessarily mean fouling has a grey area (see morata, defender pulls him back but not enough that it's a definite foul. Pulling him back is part of the professional game but is illegal, something pulis and sam are masters at but most of the time its not called as a foul let alone a pen!).

Likewise, falling down to "win" a pen isn't a yellow.

Pedro was embarassing. The ref whipping out the yellows is just as bad.

Oh to answer your question, the mentioning of the contact is because it further strengthens the argument so of course it will be mentioned.

19. PowerSpurs

The word contact doesn’t appear in the Law on tackles so it is irrelevant.
    Simulation is defined in the Laws as feigning injury or pretending to be fouled. But if we can’t agree on what a foul is we certainly can’t know what pretence is.

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Seems pretty clear to me (grabbed from the FA website)

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
    • charges
    • jumps at
    • kicks or attempts to kick
    • pushes
    • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    • tackles or challenges
    • trips or attempts to trip
    If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
    • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
    A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    • holds an opponent
    • impedes an opponent with contact
    • spits at an opponent
    anyway it's just common sense, willian has to go out of his way to avoid the tackle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.