1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Accrington

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 17, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Got to get this out there immediately. The Ref on Saturday is none other that Charlie Breakspear. Deep joy all around. He has issued 134 yellows and 3 reds so far this season and stand by for another "I'm in charge" performance and "It's all about me".

Apart from who is the Ref what could possibly go wrong I hear you cry. Well despite being halfway down the league I don't think that Accrington are any sort of push over. We have had a couple of hard fought games in the last 2 and this one is yet another that could prove to be difficult. There is no doubt though that we can win it and our form isn't lacking anything much either. So I'm going for the win despite the banana both skin on the pitch and in charge of the game.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wont be able to follow this match and put down the starting eleven today.....I will be at a Remembrance Service for a friend and might not be home until the game has concluded.

If Argyle turn up like they did versus Portsmouth on Tuesday night then there isn't anything to fear....it's not the moment to start dropping home points.

Accrington do well at home and their away form has been letting them down....a win today would mean a maximum 6pts from them this season.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Hazy but bright & dry here. Windy though, keep the ball down.

Conor Grant back in for Sessengnon and Jordan Garrick starts alongside Ryan Hardie. Panutche Camara keeps his place with Ryan Broom on the bench.

4. notDistantGreen

Presuming Accrington are attacking the Devonport End, they'll have had the wind at their backs in the first half. Their aerial bombardment will have been helped by that and they've had a lot of shots as a result. They have hit the bar but they've got no shots on target at all and Cooper hasn't made a save.

2-0 at the break and therefore comfortable.... at least you'd think so!

5. notDistantGreen

Shrewsbury 0-1 at Rotherham at half time. Who forecast that?

6. notDistantGreen

Busy few minutes. 3-0. Camara, who'd just been booked off and Randell on. Accrington keeper sent off for hauling down Hardie as he was about to make it 4.

7. notDistantGreen

4-0 - that man Hardie again.

Shouldn't be greedy but 1 more would give us the same goal difference as MK Don's plus the game in hand.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

4-0...F/T

Team.....Cooper, Wilson, Bolton, Gillesphey, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Grant, Hardie, Garrick.

Subs.....Burton, Broom, Ennis, Sessegnon, Randell, Jephcott, Crichlow.

Scorers.....Camara...12mins.....Edwards...37mins.....Ennis...64mins.....Hardie...79mins.

Subbed.....Ennis for Garrick...60mins.....Randell for Camara...65mins.....Broom for Mayor...80mins.

Accrington keeper red card...68mins.

Good win....another clean sheet...improved goal difference....and up to 4th.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video....what are.... Accrington feeding their team on.....a team of giants.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That was a regulation Saturday afternoon stroll. Don't really think we looked in much danger throughout that one even though they are a big big side. We dealt with their aerial threat quite well even if they did have a few chances. Breakspear (the Ref) didn't manage to do too much controversial in the game even if a couple of decisions were a bit baffling. The Red for them was a stone wall red and I don't think they could have any complaints. My MOM was Edwards who I thought had a sterling game throughout. Led by example and put a proper Captain's shift in. The one player for me today who was a complete enigma was Camara. He scored one and was well in the mix assist wise for the second. However, some of his touches were so bad as to be embarrassing. On the ball he was either brilliant or complete rubbish. There really wasn't anything in between.

Some slightly shocking results today except ours wasn't.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just noticed that Argyle have the best home defence in Div1.

12. notDistantGreen

Do you know what? Having been to the previous 3 home games (?), and watched a couple of the intervening away ones on TV, I'm only mildly impressed by that result.

Gulp, going to say it, that's just about how good we are. Sensible thinks so too although perhaps he's wise not to explicitly tempt fate . Regulation and stroll. He knows...

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are definitely goading me now Notdistant. You know that I think we are a bleddy good team and squad. You know that I get a little bit narked when people hint that we aren't or always assume we are going to be the patsy. You are right it was only mildly impressive and yes there were periods when we looked a bit average. That though is because I know how good we CAN be even if we aren't 100% of the time. If you read around the other boards then there are those who think we will fold and fade. Well we might do that but then again with our momentum and form we just might not and it is they who should worry that we might wreck their season rather than the other way around. I read a post that said Plymouth have had some easy games of late to go with their run of 5 wins and clean sheets. If I were a supporter of any of the clubs we have played I would take umbrage to that. Bolton and Portsmouth are two you would not put in the easy category. Accy got a point away at Sheffield.