1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Blackpool

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 25, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another fairly long hike up the motorway for this one. Another club that has fallen rapidly from the heights. Another one who may find this league harder to get out of than they thought.

Not sure how the match will go but do think it will be close. Cue a 6 - 0 scoreline then.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Is 6-0 in your Prediction League entry? Heroic if it is.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I will predict one 6 - 0 this season but it might not be Argyle. I can come last in the prediction stakes quite easily without that.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Whoooooppppppeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well I would have thought somebody would have at least had something to say by now. From what I heard of the game and what I've read so far it looks like we were battered a bit but got away with 3 points in the end by a rearguard action.

I don't know what to make of all this at the moment. We lost the first 2 and now have won the last 3. We didn't play brilliantly in the game I saw last week but then again we never ever looked like we wouldn't win. This week we were not great even when they went down to 10 men but still got a result. I suppose if you aren't going to be good then you had better be lucky. I'll take either if the points keep coming. It's hard to know what this season will bring.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

From what i heard they were very lucky i think Blackpool were robbed
    Take the luck when you can because it can sure go against you.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Robbed or not its another 3 points on the board.. away from home.. so we must have some luck on our side for once. we will play better and lose. :emoticon-0120-doh:

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The Emperor Napoleon used to ask of his Generals not if he was a great tactician or brave but is he lucky. I'll take lucky all day long. You are right Joe I've seen us lose enough games we slaughtered the opposition in and I'd guess most fans would say that about their side at some point. At the moment the luckiest side seems to be Morecambe. Are they this season's surprise package like Accrington were last season. Looking around so far I don't think anyone thinks their side is playing well. Maybe this is going to be a pants season for everyone.

9. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I expect if we where asked which we would prefer......to play well... or to win three points... the answer would be the three points everytime.

To play well and please the fans is only satisfying to a degree...if at the end of the day the end result is only one point or no points at all it leaves you rather deflated and unsatisfied.

What I've read about this game suggested that we where possible lucky to get all three points.....you will not be to bothered about that a few weeks down the road, if it has maintained a winning momentum....it becomes a habit in the end...just as losing can be, even if it is deserved or unlucky in how you achieve it.

Bulvitis seems to be not just a defender but a goalscorer to...that is his second so far in five league games.....we just need the strikers to start finding the net as well....as a team we're averaging one goal per match....for or against.

Not everyone agreed about the sending off.....but at the end of the day Jervis would of been through on the goalkeeper... one on one and had a good chance of scoring.....was that lucky or unlucky ?.......even with ten men they pressed us hard at the end and nearly got an equalizer except for a great last ditch save from Miller (I think ?).

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

You often have to scrap for anything in away games and so it's wrong to regard this as "lucky", they did a job, rode out the storm and brought the 3 points home.

The sending off helped but then, in fact, it's not just when someone is bearing down on goal that a cynical challenge can deprive you of a chance. We've all seen our players deliberately tripped, blocked or held when breaking out of our OWN penalty box after the whole of the opposition team has come up for a corner or free kick. The player committing the foul knows full well that if allowed to run into an empty opposition half, there's a good chance of a scoring opportunity, that's why they stop it. I'd like to see ALL those cynical, game spoiling fouls punished more harshly not less.

So, a scrappy away win is good. The question is though, how good can this team be on a good day? Jury's still out I think.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

11. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rather amazed that a club who were in the Premiership only 6 years ago....getting 15000 crowds can only muster 3085 now....and over 600 of them were greens......fickled lot.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's not the crowd being fickle plym it's the supporters protesting. They hate the owners and they hate even more what has happened to their club. Their owners won't bugger off so they hit them in the pocket by not paying to watch. There has been no Administration for Blackpool but there has been no investment of the parachute money or any other either. I think they were above their means in the Premier although they won their right to be there. The fall though has been rather further than I think there needed to be.

I think the sending offf was a 50/50 decision. Some Refs give it and some wouldn't. By strict interpretation he goes. I don't think Argyle ever play well against 10 men so I don't see it as much of an advantage. It wasn't for a lot of the match anyway. Last 20 minutes I think.