1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bradford

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 21, 2019.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This could be the hardest so far. Bradford going well and with very similar form to ourselves more recently. However they are only 4 points better even if they are 8 places higher. Tight in the top half that's for sure. Will need to be at our best for this and hopefully after what seems an eternity I will be disappointed not to see a performance having been starved at Home Park recently. We can do it..................

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And sensible you'll soon be getting rid of all those grumpy grandstand exiles in the weeks ahead and have some elbow space.

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Unless he goes to the grandstand as well. Mmmm

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can't see me moving BC. Too much hassle and hard work. Besides I can spot an off side easily from my seat and can give the lino a hard time. Somebody has to.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I see the club are offering discounted half-season tickets, with cover starting from Stevenage at home on December 29th.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2019/november/half-season-tickets-on-sale-now/

That's nearly £600 for my little band (both juniors are still 17 until next year) and as due to other interests and A levels looming, we aren't in a position to goo to every game, so it's not for me.

I guess with a couple of thousand (or more) moving back into the grandstand, the Lyndhurst is going to look empty compared to the way it's been packed over the past year or so with a consequent reduction in the perceived atmosphere. I hope the club do sell a few.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having spent the last year plus following this build on the GoS photos....things look good and nearing completion.

What concerns me is the extra roof overhang....what does it achieve....from the photos....not a lot....the lower Mayflower and it's new seating have no noticeable benefit from being protected from the rain..... the back rows of "luxury" seats have to be protected with plastic sheeting to stop them deteriorating from the rain.....so are they more expensive to get a soaking in than the standard seats in front.....the plastic sheeting looks like an after thought and seems to be easily blown off in the wind.....would those seats absorb the rain because there padded and give the sitter the experience of sitting on a soggy sponge ?

7. notDistantGreen

Surely it's the same at most grounds: sit in the front few rows and you get wet.

Most of our wind and rain comes from the south west quadrant. That blows into the Lyndhurst and Barn Park End but the Grandstand will offer some protection. I can confirm you can get wet in the Lyndhurst seats if the wind's in your face!

It was ever thus. I remember arguments when the Lyndhurst was the Popular Side terrace and rain drove the front ranks back under the roof. Hardier souls always took the opportunity to get right to the fence and right to the half way line and were then often expected to give up their newly acquired prime spots to their original occupants when the rain stopped!

Ironically the new lower tier of seats (the old Mayflower Terrace) are going to get least protection when there's little or no wind or a north-easterly - but then, it never did get any protection. How will those seats be priced? I don't know. It's very clear from booking seats online though that even now, the front few rows in the Lyndhurst are the last to be sold, partly because you get a wider few higher up and partly because you know you'll get wet if it rains. If it's Liverpool at home or a must win 3 points for promotion, they'll all go like hot cakes.

8. notDistantGreen

It seems Kelvin Mellor is likely to start at RB for Bradford. WCPGW?

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Palmer, Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer, Josh Grant, Edwards, Sarcevic, Mayor, McFadzean, Moore, Joel Grant.

Subs
    Michael Cooper, Taylor, Telford, Conor Grant, Clarke, Randell, George Cooper.

PS....Kelvin Mellor only a sub for Bradford.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Moore... 5 minutes....1-0.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Edwards...25 minutes...2-0.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Canavan OG...51 minutes...2-1.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...F/T......good win.

PS.....Derek Adams loses...5-0.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It was a good 3 points but made to be harder, no much harder than it should have been. We should have been 3 up at halftime not 2 up. Game over if that had happened.

As it was we were coasting and then started the second half on the back foot and suddenly it was 2 - 1. I do think this was a decent result for us and it was the right one. Sarcevic was for me MOM. He gets better and better this season. Our finishing at times leaves a bit to be desired and their keeper was a lucky boy more than once. Anyway, after a month away it was good to be back and with the result we wanted. Up to seventh so nothing bad.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video (2.02 mins) looked the better side....Canavan unlucky with his og......FA Cup next.

17. notDistantGreen

I thought it was a very decent, no....good performance against a team that had won 22 points from their last 10 games, losing only 2, away at Cheltenham (6th at start of play yesterday) and home to Port Vale (8th), each by an single goal.

We frequently made them look like lumbering League 2 stereotypes with some beautiful passing movements. The fact they made two substitutions at half time and changed their shape shows how well we did in the first 45 minutes. Palmer was forced into only one save of note whereas at the other end, we generated several "how did that not go in" moments. The goal they did get was very lucky, with Canavan partially blocking a shot which, left to its own devices, would have cleared the near post or been saved there, simultaneously slotting it in instead at the near post and leaving Palmer going the wrong way.

This isn't all about Mayor's fairy footed dribbling or Sarcevic's rampant bull efforts. Our defence was generally comfortable whilst our two strikers and midfield harassed the Bradford equivalent to distraction. I lost count how many times they were forced back to their own keeper from the half way line or beyond.

This team are playing knee deep in love flowing off the terraces and the players seem to be equally proud to be wearing the shirt. I couldn't pick a player out there yesterday for a word of criticism. Sarcevic did stand out for sure but I'd go for Byron Moore for MotM. Scored of course but he gets it not for that but for his blistering pace and his relentless desire to give defenders a very hard time when they have the ball.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just amended a couple of speling things from last night. Must have had one more than I thought.

It was a decent performance and a couple of the moves deserved a better end. I'd agree with the Byron thing notdistant except for one difference between him and Sarcevic. Sarcevic runs all day long (except when wasting a bit of time at corners when we are leading) and Byron ran out of steam part way through. However he did put in a shift chasing things down so it was understandable. For once the crowd appreciated the closing down thing and responded with applause a couple of times. Mayor is beginning to bug me a bit. He is clearly gifted and also clearly prepared to do the dirty work if necessary for the team. However, having danced his way onto the edge of the box and created an opening why the feck doesn't he shoot more. I lost count of the times he delayed and then passed it wide instead. For somebody who scored a shed load for Bury you would think he had the confidence wouldn't you. Not sure what's wrong there.

19. notDistantGreen

You are right, I'm afraid. Mayor floats like a butterfly but when it comes to the final pass or shot, it's not always the sting. The simple early pass or the early shot is often the right thing.

If you notice, he beats players with ease but when it comes to laying it off, it's often a bouncy awkward thing to control. Too often it's the recipient that gets the blame but we have a perfect pitch, it should be easy for a man of his caliber to lay it off so it's easy to receive.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Frustrating isn't it. I have noticed this trait over a number of games now. I'm still waiting for this "best player in the league" bloke to turn up. Having said that he is good to watch up to the final point. Trouble is we don't always need good to watch we need an end product.