1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bristol Rovers

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No we don't....0-0 F/T.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In your dreams hp. Nil nil it is. Well it's a point and it could have been worse.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A point against the worst home record in the league.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They could be saying the same plym. A point against the worst team in the league..........

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I cannot see how this team can do better than 16th/18th position this season.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

At least no goals conceded. Opinions seem to be that both sides were poor but we controlled all bar the 3rd quarter. Sarcevic could (should?) have won it, but didn't. Something to build on perhaps.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

In the end it was a fairly enjoyably day out at the Mem- good journey both ways and well looked after by BRFC staff. Good to catch up with our ex, and their new, CEO as well.
    First half was fairly poor from both sides, but for us it was job done at HT, 0-0 is always a decent position to be in at the break. BRFC would also have been of the same opinion. In the second half a decent (half) game of football broke out, Sarc & Carey should have scored and Matt Macey pulled off a couple of great saves. To be fair I guess a draw was a fair result - it genuinely could have gone either way. Zak Vyner was in the away end cheering on the greens and being really good with the fans. I have to mention the ref - he was excellent. it could have been a match with a rash of cards and Carey could easily have received a red for an out of control two footed challenge, but the ref tried to let the players get on with it. He gave very little all afternoon , but was fair to both sides , so no complaints from me. Carey was 'better', Ladapo, was good, and Joel Grant was excellent when he came on for the second half. I wouldn't say we are there yet , but plenty of reason for optimism. FWIW I also agree with DA about SM. Apart from the comments about the football which of course everyone is entitled to, I reckon about 90% of stuff written about the Club on some of the other forums is simply untrue, and has clearly just been made up by those with an axe to grind for some reason. I have stopped reacting to them as there is no way of convincing a keyboard warrior that they are simply wrong!
    Onwards and upwards - I fancy 3 points next Saturday.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I fancy 3 points from any fecking where. Whether we get them or not is another matter. I love DA saying peope in this area are negative. Really? These people who endured a load of crap at the start of last season and yet never gave up on Argyle and the same people who refused to let the club die not so long ago. Give people from anywhere something to cheer about and they often respond. Give them the start of this season as a repeat of the start of last season and why should they be positive? Who else does he know who would be dancing in the streets. I don't go along with keyboard warrior types and there is no need to be unnecessarily rude to anyone but there is no need to ignore everyone because of a few you don't go much on. I'll cheer when those 3 points are in the bag for once.

9. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

And I have only lived here for 35 years , yet my opinion isn't accepted by many as I am not a Janner. Whether you like it or not, DA is correct. Having been all over the world , and lived in many areas of the UK , I cant think of anywhere where the prevailing attitude of 'that the glass is half empty' is more prevalent .Plymouth is simply full of people who are either unwilling or incapable of looking on the positive side of things. You may disagree , but then again you might be one of them!
    Huge amount of investment in the city through the Uni and others , but curmudgeonly people still moan. We all appreciate every thing that was done to save the club, we really do , but it is time to move on . We will be fine on the football side this season and ultimately that is all that matters .

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was talking about the football team which is all Derek Adams should be talking about. Argyle fans have had a load of crap to endure for years and years and it has nothing to do with living here for life or 35 years or anything else. Argyle constantly flatter to deceive and have done that for years and years. Is it therefore altogether surprising that they have a half empty glass? Give them investment in their team that actually works and something real to shout about and then watch them. Can't do it and the owner won't do it so all that is left is the crumbs that they get. Doff your cap and touch your forelock for that one then. I have also lived in many areas over the years and there are many like this one if you mix and listen to the locals. You might disagree but rather than throw in a snide remark I will say that's your right and you are entitled to your opinion.

What I'm not is a happy clappy type who has to act like a seal on heat just because a crumb is thrown. This City is skint and grasps at any investment, no matter how **** it is, because there is little else for it to do. Tell me what huge investment the Uni is making? What building accommodation for Students is a huge investment. What that does is deprive landlords who have invested in houses to rent from renting them. It provides a load of cheap accommodation in prime sites which is due to the town center dying on it's feet. What else would occupy the empty properties in the center if not that. If the number of Students goes down then they will become as derelict as the empty shops they once were.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I know some optimists who would say......'what a lovely sunny day it is'...as they hang on to the stern rail (technical term ?) of the Titanic as the last remaining feet of it slips below the waves.....just no reality of the situation at all....just trying to be optimistic for optimisms sake.

Although I was born in Devonport I haven't got any right to say that I've inherited the traits of the area....but I have my mothers genes so I have got a 'glass half empty' approach to life....Mrs Plym is the opposite and can see the good in things even though tragedy has already happening.....which I can find annoying with the facts in front of me.

This bad run actually started last season when Ryan Taylor got injured in the final run in of the season and is continuing even though Derek Adams has changed literally half the playing staff....has he brought in better players or just changed like for like....probably....minus Threlkeld, Bradley, Vyner and Matthews we have a weaker defence for sure...I don't think you can argue against that being true.

I find it hard to find any glimmer of optimism from getting a point at Rovers...their home form was total ziltch before playing us...so now it has slightly improved. Playing Blackpool next home game doesn't give me any hope of us getting our first league win either.....they were 2-0 down to Bradford and then banged in three goals in the last six minutes to turn it around.

When did Argyle last score three goals in six minutes....or score three in a whole match...at present we're 4-13 against in seven games....find the optimism in that....I find it very hard to do that at present....until we get a decent mid-field... goals will be hard to find... even if we manage to keep clean sheets like yesterday...thanks to one or two good saves from Macey.

12. notDistantGreen

Outside the military, a team sport is probably the activity in which team spirit morale, confidence in yourself and your colleagues and togetherness are such significant determinants of success.

You won't hear a single professional player who doesn't say support from the fans is an important part of that.

Start well and things get better, start badly and if you aren't careful a vicious downward circle starts.

We are far from out of the woods but at least nobody did anything stupid yesterday and an away point from any opponent is not a bad thing.

Adams gas been very critical of the players and rightly so. But now may be the time to praise them and try to start a positive spiral. That's not complacency or acceptance of modest targets, it's man management.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the video highlights....seemed even stevens from what we were shown.....Macy seemed to be wearing similar colours to Rovers....why is that allowed ?

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Adams should confine himself to commenting on his players and not the local population. His customers who help to pay his wages and keep him in a job. I agree with notdistant in some ways in that he should not kick his players in public. This is something he seems to have started to do. Following on from that he shouldn't extend his passing of the blame to the customers as well. This looks weak and says "I will blame everyone and anyone except me who is paid to manage the thing". Not an attractive trait at all.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

At Div One level the fans do pay the wages of the players and manager.....but a recent article states that Premiership clubs don't need finance from fans paying to watch the games....their well paid by the TV fees that they receive from the likes of Sky etc.....do fans matter anymore.....owners are only interested in staying in the Premiership to protect their pockets.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't give a flying fig for the Premiership so to be honest I don't care. Their fans have sort of brought this on themselves by taking the king's shilling for their soul. I also read that article and I've been saying that to other boards for a while now. It's not difficult to work out. But, in our case we do pay the wages so hence my statement of shut up Adams. Anyone who draws a wage from Argyle should not run down the people who pay the wages. It's kind of a silly move isn't it. If the locals get their arse in their hand and decide not to support the club then all of those people will be looking for another job.

17. notDistantGreen

Which highlights did you watch Plymborn? The 10 minutes on iFollow gave me the impression that they had more "chances" but they were mostly of a scrappy nature with no real danger of a goal.

We played the better football and finished the stronger. How we didn't score in the last 15 mins is hard to understand. Their keeper made a wonder save from Carey and there was the goalmouth scramble to end all scrambles from which we could have scored 3!

Ladapo looked a real handful again. If we can make chances for him, he could score a cartload of goals.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The highlights shown on GoS......yes that pin-ball session near the end just wouldn't fall for Argyle.

19. notDistantGreen

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It's not free...you have to subscribe.