1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Cambridge

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 15, 2021.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Definitely offside I'm afraid Sensible. Jephcott MAY have been offside when he scored but Hardie definitely was when he headed the ball back to Jephcott. Why it took so long I don't know but the commentators came to the conclusion the lino didn't know which of Argyle players had headed the ball back: Hardie was offside, possibly the other one very close by wasn't.

I agree with you about the ref generally. He lacks presence. On one occasion, when Wilson was booked, he allowed himself to be pursued across the pitch by a posse of arm waving Cambridge players. One yellow card at random kills that stone dead.

We didn't win and we really should have but it was a robust performance and I'm not unduly concerned (yet).

Clearly we need a couple more attacking players and the club are trying to find them. As Lowe has rightly said, he wants good ones and every club wants that. We can't complain ar recent recruitment and must be patient.

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Never watched it but by other comments elsewhere seemed to be just happy to hold on to a 1-0 lead rather than finish the game totally?

3. notDistantGreen

No I don't think so, in fact that's probably what we should have done but didn't. The penalty came when an Argyle attack broke down with Ryan Law upfield, leaving Gillesphey one on one with the large and very fast Shilow Tracey. Sensible says he should have brought him down outside the box but I think it took him all that distance to get close enough to trip him up!

What should have happened is that Camara should have put us 1-0 up in the first half when he had a gift wrapped, gold plated, diamond encrusted chance to do so. Then Cambridge would have had to come out of their defensive shell and I think we could have won by several.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Your opinion will be duly noted but not accepted as the only truth available....Lowe told us he had a few possibilities regarding a striker....and felt that he could well have one before the season started....well that didn't happen.....he can talk well at times....but the end result often is nothing.....I will say what I feel is necessary to say.....if you see it as just doom and gloom then that is your prerogative....after awhile your view might be seen as head in the sand syndrome.....I hope for Argyles sake I'm wrong....but last seasons management flaws have not gone away.

So many youngsters on the bench already is because we're scraping the barrel....not because they have all proven themselves in the pecking order....the squad is seriously understrength....last nights substitutions suggested that players had come off because of niggling injuries developing.....why would Jephcott have been taken off....when we were desperate for something to happen in front of goal.

5. notDistantGreen

Nobody's disputing we need a couple more players. Lowe's not disputing it, the club's not disputing it, we're not disputing it.

The money's there for "2 or 3 more" according to Lowe.

Other than signing the first 2 that come along, what is the club supposed to do? They know what they're looking for, they have data analytics, so it's a targeted search.

One thing I would say is that we've wisely avoided signing young, inexperienced defenders. You can however take more of a risk on a young loanee if he's an attacker. His mistakes won't lose you a game as a defender can but if he's good enough, he might win you one or two.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Where is this experienced striker shop then Plym? Stating the obvious isn't a critical review. How are other teams in this league easy? Based on what, your intimate knowledge of them all? Why are we so great that they are easy? Who says apart from you they are easy? Please don't start this hurt crap again when somebody challenges what you say.

Notdistant I know it was offside. The point being that they changed their minds after almost kicking off again without even having VAR. The lino gave it, the Ref gave it the Cambridge players put on the pressure and they caved. That's the complaint not whether it was or wasn't a legal goal. Sarginson was awful.

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In hindsight it became obvious that training up other clubs young defenders was fraught with problems.....in fact these clubs should have paid us to give their young players game time.

But how much they learned other than letting in 80 goals isn't a good idea I don't know.

Kelland Watts.....another season loan to Wigan.
    Jerome Opoku.....gone on loan to Vejle Boldklub in the Danish Premier League.
    Tyrese Fornah.....still at N Forest
    Timmy Abraham.....seasons loan to Newport.
    Adam Lewis.....season loan to Livingston.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  8. notDistantGreen

You have a point Sensible, which was in my "take so long" question. The ref gave it, the linesman didn't put his flag up. Did the lino speak to the ref on the radio? Because that's the only justification for what happened.

Lowe's made some remarks in an interview which may get him in trouble.....

Perhaps I'm too sportsmanlike. It was offside....

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's the standard of officialling that gets me. If the lino thought it was offside then what he does is put his flag up. What he doesn't do is nothing at all and run up the line to his kick off position until he is given a hard time. I get that officials will make mistakes but that wasn't a mistake was it. We have now had two games at Home Park and the Referee in both of them should be kicked off the list altogether. They have both been totally incompetent. We have had dozens of decisions go against us so if one goes the other way then I have no problem with it as long as it isn't cheating like diving.

10. notDistantGreen

I agree with you. He's allowed himself to hounded by packs of players and that naturally raises questions as to how and why he makes decisions. He's weak and ineffective.

The crucial question is whether he went to the lino because the lino had radioed him about a potential offside or because he was mobbed by Cambridge. If the former he's off the hook, if the latter, he should be sacked.