1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Charlton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 19, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Penalty saved ................phew. Lets hope the out players can build on that.

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Half time 1 - 1 but pressure mounting by looking at stats. Shots by Charlton going up, corners going up, fouls by Argyle going up and percentage of possession going down. Still all to play for though so onwards and upwards (as it's the only way we have to go).

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Charlton started and finished the half well, Argyle good in between. Grant o for Wootton, let's hope that's not disruptive.

Seems better from Argyle, in some ways will increase the complaints that Adams should have picked this side before but he sees them in training, we don't.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

4. notDistantGreen

Greg Wylde on for Gary Sawyer
    Saying nothing.

5. notDistantGreen

Now Sarcevic off injured, replaced by Fox. All 3 subs used.

6. notDistantGreen

Joel Grant hits the bar.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Stats say pressure mounting once more...............

8. notDistantGreen

And Charlton hit the post. 5 mins plus e/t to go

9. notDistantGreen

And now score. 88 mins, 2-1

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bollox..........................

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

What a bustard!

12. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a quick thought or two now that I'm home...I'll say more later.

Derek Adams what have you done ?... you've somehow turned a team that finished 7th.... and during Jan/Mar no team wanted to play us.... into a dis-jointed, with continually changing personnel... into a team that cannot cope with crossed balls and look vulnerable every time a corner is taken.

Charlton played two wide players who had oceans of room every time the ball went to them... neither full back looked happy.

We got a break in the 9th minute from a corner when Carey was left free and directed his header into the corner.....but it only took Charlton 3 minutes to equalize and any momentum from taking the lead evaporated.

Hanging on desperately for a point...but not to be... in the 87th minute the inevitable happened....and another defeat was chalked up.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I tried reverse psychology with the prediction league and still it didn't work. I have nowhere left to go. You could see from the way the stats were stacking up that it was only a matter of time.

14. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

My usual 7am coffee and the game on my Lap Top.
    For a change i really enjoyed watching Argyle being in the game.
    One up and another coffee top up.
    1-1 and Argyle still in it.
    At 87min my NO woke up the Wife "I'm not saying NO to you dear" said I.
    Anyway a good game with a disappointing end.
    At least thats the way i saw it.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

By the sound of that you got something out of the game on 87 minutes BC.........................Oh Matron!!!

16. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Daft i call it..

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well Argyle rode their luck during this game....better finishing from Charlton would have in a way been cruel on Argyle....who looked very nervous in the first 5 minutes....but came through and took the lead from a rare Carey header...from a good cross from the left.

But Plymouth's weakness in dealing with corners and any ball crossed in the air soon blew away that lead three minutes later and evaporating any confidence that had come from scoring first.

Charlton looked more dangerous and always had an outlet on both wings with players hugging the line....Argyles defence looked very narrow allowing acres of space down each flank Sawyer just about coped...but Ashley Smith-Brown playing on the right side of the defence for the first time had a hard time.

Their penalty looked a little soft, but it was down the far end from where I was...so difficult to be sure.....Lyle Taylor took it and blasted it just too near to Macey who got something on it and pushed it onto the crossbar....still a good save......going in at 1-1 at half-time was in the end a bonus for Argyle, but we had already lost Wootton to an injury in the 38th minute and Peter Grant came on for his first Argyle league appearance.

We started the second half with another substitution...Sawyer had an injury to a foot and didn't start the second half (ended up on crutches).....the surprise was that Gregg Wylde came on and went to left back ?....but he did ok and his speed was useful to contain their wing play....he also did a great goal mouth block....he did manage to overlap now and again but it was his defensive work that Argyle benefitted from....never thought I would say that.

After yet another goal mouth scramble, Sarcevic was left sitting on the ground....Charlton fans assumed he was wasting time and told him so....but the Ref eventually allowed the trainer on and he had went off without much treatment with what looked a groin injury.....so in the 53rd minute David Fox came on.....this meant all three Plymouth subbings was because of injuries...at this time Charlton had not used any.

Charlton started ramping up the pressure in the last quarter of the match, and one goal mouth melee literally on the goal line had the ball pinging around like a fruit machine....how it stayed out of the net is a mystery......with three minutes left it looked like we would hold out for a point....but no, our luck finally ran out....a cross was knocked down and Karlan Grant (yes I did say Grant) stabbed it in totally unmarked for his second goal.

Lyle Taylor who has had some good times against Argyle was reasonably subdued....maybe we need to give our defence some credit for that....and of course he missed the penalty....of course Karlan Grant has been stepping up to the plate lately and has now scored 5 goals.

Although we have players out injured...plus three more from this game....we do have to say that Charlton were understrength as well....missing Patrick Bauer, Darren Pratley, Krystian Bielik and Billy Clarke.

Attendance.....10818....to be honest the ground looked quite empty.....Green Army 1013 turned up and looked lost down the away end, plenty of space to spread out.....I think last season there was over twice that many, if not more.

Matt Macey.....first time I've seen him close up....a big lad...but looked quite skinny....did ok but didn't fill me with confidence and seem to avoid clearance shoots by hand preferred the ball on the ground.....6/10.

Ashley Smith-Brown.....played as right-back...had played all his other starts from left-back.....didn't look too happy in the first half....but better in the second-half although many crosses came from his side.....5/10.

Ryan Edwards.....He played quite well seeing that Lyle Taylor was around and also two goal Karlan Grant.....6/10.

Scott Wootton.....back in because of Niall Canavan being injured....no obvious blunders today....but he picked up an injury and went off in the 38minute.....6/10.

Gary Sawyer.....playing left-back...did reasonably well although Charlton used their wing players well......injured foot and didn't come out for second half.....6/10.

Antoni Sarcevic.....not fully fit personally, and Charlton fans asked him if he had been eating all the pies.....got involved with some good moves but went off in the 53rd minute with what looked like a groin pull.....6/10.

Yann Songo'o.....yet again man of the match....here, there and everywhere busting a gut as usual to stem attacks and tried to get forward.....MoM... 8/10.

Graham Carey.....showing signs of coming back to form...surprised everyone by getting on the end of a header to open the scoring....which of course lasted for only 3 minutes. Charlton were aware of what he can bring to the table and he picked up his share of free kicks....on one occasion in the second half when he was bundled over, he over did the moment by rolling over at least half a dozen times and I think the referee might of done more about it but changed his mind because of the theatrics involved.....7/10.

Ruben Lameiras.....will the real Ruben please stand up...we have been missing you.....in and out of the game and no end result.....4/10.

Joel Grant.....worked hard and often and did well...swinging in a few good balls....not sure, but it was probably his cross that we scored from....much went to waste because no one was arriving on the end of his crosses....no attacking threat to link up with his good work.....8/10.

Freddie Ladapo.....worked hard without any end product...certainly no threat on goal was evident.....5/10.

Subs.....

38th minutes..... Peter Grant for Scott Wootton.....came on at a very difficult time for his first team debut and fitted in beside Edwards quite well and did some great defending.....good game.....7/10.

H/T.....Gregg Wylde came on for Gary Sawyer..... and shocked everyone by going to left-back....this meant no team reshuffle and a speedy left footer defending that wing. Gregg did ok and as I've already said played well...plus a great goal bound block.....and when he could tried to overlap down the left.....7/10.

53rd minute.....At last David Fox for Antoni Sarcevic....fitted in well and had a chance at the death to get a last minute equalizer....but not to be.....6/10.

It seems that Ryan Taylor didn't travel because he has hurt his dodgy ankle....injuries are mounting up and we have yet to win a league game....it never rains unless it pours.

Derek Adams it is said ?..... set his team up for an attacking game....did it work....well the result suggests it didn't....few shots on goal and not many on target either.....where are we going to get goals from....no one looked hungry enough to threaten Charlton's understrength defence.....must of been a long miserable trip home last night.

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Nice writeup Plym....should have sold that to the Herald.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Seems like DA has used up all his options now so time for the board to lay down some cash! You can only go so far without spending and sure DA has already got several players on his mind.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But will they be any better than the ones he picked up this summer.