1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Charlton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 3, 2019.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Much the better side in the first half but lots of good approach play wasn't converted into deadly chances.

Charlton racked up an enormous foul count, most of which were cynical trips and pull-backs on Lameiras who as usual was giving their defenders twisted blood injuries. Clearly that was their only game plan to stop him.

Missed penalty for a trip on.... guess who... Lameiras.

Then they score.... and then again right after half time and the spirit's gone from players and fans.

Infuriating. Never a relegation side in the first half but we just can't put games away when we are ahead.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

2. notDistantGreen

PS Carey went high down the middle of the goal for the penalty while the keeper dived to his left... and saved it with his foot.

When your luck is out it's out big time.

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If thats correct we need a total clear out next season...where is all that team spirit gone!

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just listened to Adams match comments....he kept telling us how well Argyle played in the first half.....the problem is if you don't score when you have the chances it counts for nothing....especially if you miss a penalty.....just doesn't sound convincing personally.....something missing.....and we start using our subs too late possibly.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's saying that because it's actually true plym and if you had seen it you would know exactly where he is coming from. As notdistant said we were way way the best side in the first half. How we went in one down I will never know. On that first half performance you would have thought we were the play off side. However, no matter what we did the ball was not going to go in the net. We could still be out there and I don't think it would go in. It was one of those games that we just could not score. Had the penalty gone in I think we would have won that one and talking to some Charlton fans after the game they wouldn't argue with that summary. Carey normally puts the ball in the top corner when he takes a penalty. Today for some reason he didn't and it was saved. Can't fault the keeper who pulled it off. Things today went off the knee and out of play, Just over the byline or off a leg or toe and into the possession of them. Just too long and just too high. Very very a case of making you swear.

Second half and an own goal. One of those things and you could see the energy being sucked out of the players. Heads went down and the effort drained away. Charlton are a very good side make no mistake but we could have won this one. We will get our points needed I'm sure but today wasn't going to be it.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Doncaster.......A
    Gillingham......A
    Barnsley.........H
    Accrington......A
    Scunthorpe.....H

Hope we're not still needing points on the last day.

7. notDistantGreen

And we don't need a wholesale clearout. We have some decent players in most positions.

To me, it's in midfield we lack options (and I'm afraid in goal).

The manager also needs to make sure we play to our strengths. Ladapo has scored 17 but it's no use lumping high balls at him. It's just not his game.

I'm going to say something radical now. Lameiras stood out as MoM for the crowd today. I'd sell him for the right price. He's beautiful to watch but in this league, strength, pace and aggression get the job done.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sadly he is out of contract at the end of this season notdistant so selling him is not an option.

Ladapo was ineffective today. Not totally his fault because lumping it was a lot of the play from the back. We need somebody in the middle to put a foot on the ball and think a pass. I remember players like that we have had before. McCall is one that springs to mind. No legs left but boy did he see a pass and his positional play was immense. Nalis was another. We also need better backs who won't keep repeating the same errors. Keepers are another matter. I still don't like Macey. Not at fault today but generally not good enough and will never play for Arsenal. The rest are pretty fair. Not sure about Sarsevic either if honest. Good at times but god awful at others. Just not consistent. My best guess is that Adams will lose around 10 of his players and we will start again at building another team. It was ever thus in Adams land.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And we can beat any or all of those teams left to play plym.

10. notDistantGreen

Yeah I thought about that after I said it. My opinion stands though. Beautiful player but League 1 isn't a beauty contest.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not so sure sensible....Barnsley at home will be hard and I don't fancy our chances at Doncaster or even Accrington, we need to do better than our 5-2 drubbing at Gillingham this time and Scunthorpe will be looking to avoid relegation as well.....we need some fighting spirit to finish the season with....have we got it, dropping a valuable 4pts in injury time against Rovers and Blackpool makes me wonder.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Gary Sawyer talking to Daniel Cole of....@Only1Argyle, said that it was unlucky that Graham Carey missed the penalty, but he would bet on Carey scoring the next one.
    He also said that they were a 'strong mental group' and felt one more win would get them to 50pts and teams below them basically wouldn't.

I feel that the last few weeks performances haven't support Sawyers comment about the team being a 'strong mental group'....they moved from being in control up to 39 minutes to being down and out at 49 minutes....ok I wasn't there, but what I've been reading from other websites suggests many others had that same opinion.

Isn't Yann Songo'o one of our best fighters in this type of situation....why isn't he getting more playing time at present....none at all yesterday.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I didn't actually say we "would" beat those teams left to play. What I said was we "can" beat them which I stand by and restate we definitely could. We are good enough when we want to be. I am prepared to say yesterday we were unlucky which is the fate of most teams at the bottom half when playing those riding high. The football gods always deem that to be the case. You are also saying in a roundabout way that these other sides are going to be in such magnificent form that they haven't been in all season. I maintain that we will be fine and will get the one win we need.

14. notDistantGreen

I was at both the Bristol Rovers and the Charlton games. In both cases we should have won.

We were totally dominant in the first 35 minutes yesterday, pinging the ball about beautifully, which I would say was precisely because Songo'o wasn't playing and Ness had a stormer, probably the best I've seen him. Charlton were frequently reduced to hacking the ball away to nobody in particular and it was just coming straight back at them. Although we conceded right before half time from the only chance Charlton had made, as the teams went in I was confident we'd win it in front of the Devonport End. Maybe I cursed it, but I remember thinking we would get 2 for sure and then given the way we'd be played, I thought "nah, we'll get 3 against these".

As Sensible says, we are good enough when we want to be, more than good enough. We do need to do it for 90 minutes and we do need the rub of the green. As cases in point, in the first half, Carey was put clean through after good play down the right but as he controlled the ball it somehow jumped up in the air, hit him on the knee and went through for a goal kick. That wouldn't happen to Graham Carey twice in a season. In the second half, he hit a rasping drive from the left of the box which looked on target but hit a defender. That close in, you'd normally get a corner if not the goal the shot deserved, but in this case it went straight back, hit Carey and went behind for a goal kick.

Lastly, I thought the ref had a decent game in many ways but Sensible will back me up I'm sure in saying that Charlton could easily have had 2 sent off in the first half. You'll see they conceded 19 fouls and had 5 booked overall. Most of those were for highly cynical fouls on Lameiras who was too hot for them to handle legally. This ref got the decisions right but was unusually loath to reach for the red card, otherwise matters could have been much different,

It was one of those days.

15. notDistantGreen

Confirmed by Lee Bowyer:

“In the first half-hour of the game, they were the better side,” he said.

“They won a lot more second balls, they moved the ball well and created a lot of chances. But as soon as Dillon made the save, it was a bit of a wake-up call. We then started doing what we are good at and then we started dominating the game. I think from the penalty save onwards, we were the better side.”

“We obviously had to change things shape-wise because they were causing us damage. Lamires was playing up top but then dropping into areas where our centre-halves couldn’t go all the way with him and that was causing us problems. So I had to change that and, once we did, I think we were comfortable and deserved to win.”

I don't agree with the final sentence!

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure about 2 red cards but probably one was on. If the Ref had done what he maybe should have and produced a Red in the first instance we would not have seen Charlton being so forthright in a challenge. Ergo a second would not have happened. I thought they were niggly and tried to upset Argyle with their manner of play. It kind of worked if I'm honest. I do think the backs targeted Lameiras from the off though. They clearly did their homework on him. We tend not to do that sadly and I do think we suffer for it. I also think we should have been running at their back 4 a lot more when they had been booked. Bloody hard to take Lameiras out if you have a yellow already. I still think that Adams is tactically naive at times.

17. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the loony bin,
    Actually l say 'welcome', but l wouldn't wish this night mare on anyone.
    Rovers and Plymouth both had decent runs which in Plymouth's case seemed to have cleared the danger zone
    However here we both are back in the danger zone.
    It seems that this flat bottom to the table will continue as so many fixtures are played out by the relegation contenders playing each other. Minimum two points per match.
    So l call on our two teams. Take maximum points from our relegation rivals which will guarantee third flight football for both clubs next season
    Good Luck to us both!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    sensiblegreeny likes this.
  18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you Saphire. I said on your board that I thought you would be ok and I think we will as well. One win and 50 points for us and one and a draw for you. There is no way all the teams at the bottom are going to go on a run.