1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Charlton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 18, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I will let Plymborn fill out the dreaded details on this one. It's his local Derby..............

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My local derby these days is.....Bromley v Cray Wanderers.....only problem is that Cray haven't got a ground of their own at present and use Bromleys Hayes Lane facilities.

Actually Cray where formed in 1860...so are one of the oldest clubs in the land....an amalgamation of two local villages....St Mary Cray and St Pauls Cray in Orpington....after WW11 these areas exploded into hugh council home developments....and Londons east enders moved in....so the soap Eastenders is located in the wrong place....shouldn't be in the ficticious Walford.

They haven't played each other for years since Bromley reached the Conference.

PS....I'm a bit nervous about our chances down the Valley....their new manager has started to get them playing and he hasn't lost a game yet.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No not that Derby Plym the Argyle match for christ sake. All very interesting but.................."I'm a bit nervous about our chances down the Valley" is not a rundown.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Charlton have been protesting about Jayden Stockley's red card from last week......talk of the FL committee not meeting until next week....which means they are hoping that they can have it reviewed and of course that would make him still available for tomorrow....if they were successful in the end to getting it changed to a yellow he would then be on five yellows and a one match ban anyway.....but it's all about pushing back any ban until after the Argyle game.

Another of their first choices is banned for Saturday as well....Akin Fameno picked up his fifth yellow during that 1-0 win at Burton.

There will be quite a crowd on Saturday....talk of 3000 green army plus others from around the SE area like myself....and Charlton are doing a ST holders offer of bring three mates along for free....so there should be a large crowd.

With Argyle's self confidence at the moment making them feel as if they can beat anyone in this division it is set up to be a competitive match....I'm just hoping the bubble doesn't burst whilst I'm there with my son & grandson....especially after that horror show at Home Park last season that I had to endure.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Three free tickets? Three? How desperate are they?

Ubedizzy likes this.
  6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Averaging...14264 this season....only half full.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  7. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Not too desperate, but any ground that is only half full doesn’t create the best atmosphere.

Our rockstar, guitar playing new owner is determined to see big crowds back at The Valley.

Hear you’ve got 3,000+ there today <applause><applause><applause> so it should be a cracking atmosphere and hopefully a good game with two in-form teams, although alas at different ends of the table.

8. notDistantGreen

Tight first half by the looks... they've had that a stack of corners butwe've had the on-target chances.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Game over at 2 - 0. Had to happen eventually.

10. notDistantGreen

Gave away a lot of corners one of which let to the first goal. Why? Don't know, them or us?

Finished stronger but too late then so Lowe won't be pleased.

We were bound to lose one at some point, so that's not the issue. The question is has the bubble burst or do we bounce right back? The whole season could rest on that.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well I turned up...but I'm still not sure if Argyle did.....Charlton had a whole week to recover from their last game....Argyle personally looked tired and lifeless....after their Cup replay.

The green army had turned up in force....but were reasonably quiet after the first twenty minutes.

It was all Charlton in the first half attacking down their right wing....must have crossed from there at least ten times...plus having nine corners from that flank....but they didn't give Cooper too many problems.

Charlton have a large squad and it showed that they were far fresher the we were....they scored on 61 minutes with a low shot under Cooper at the far post....for awhile Argyle tried to step up the pressure....but there just wasn't any bite in their attacks.

Charlton settled the game with a quick breakaway and another low ball under Cooper....We did try to respond....but there was no umph in our game and never really got many shots away.

A poor performance and now we've got the unbeaten run behind us lets hope that they can start another run.

I haven't check the crowd size but there must have been over 20,000 there....and as I've said you didn't really hear the green army after 20 odd minutes...they were out sung by the home crowd....not an enjoyable experience.....the Valley must have wondered what all the fuss was about Argyle's unbeaten run.

Jephcott and Mayor came on put it didn't change anything.....and at the very end George Cooper was give a few minutes...his first game for over a year I think.

PS......26,090 officially....but I doubt if that many turned up....with all those free tickets being given away it would be impossible to be sure....for instance my son sat with me...not in his ST seat....so he would have been counted twice....and I think a lot of others woud have done the same so that they could sit with family or friends.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video....blimey it wasn't that one sided.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having thought about the match since Saturday....my conclusion was that we were on the back foot too much and we needed to change it around with something different.

But Ryan Lowe waited too long to bring on subs....and when he did he just changed like for like...and kept the same system which was not working.

Nice to see George Cooper come on...but it was 88 minutes played and all he did was stand on the touchline waiting for a ball that never really came...(by the way am I the only one who thinks he has twiglets for legs...they look so thin)

We needed goals and with 6 minutes of injury time available there was hope....but we were using a set up which Charlton had mastered....and in fact all we really did was try to stop Charlton scoring a third...which on a few occasions they nearly did....it's back to the old song of ...we need a plan B.....when plan A works Lowe looks good....but he's not sure how to change a game.

Jonnie Jackson will surely be made full time manager soon....from reading the match program he seems to have a plan A,B &C at his disposal....and a large squad to help keep his team fresh.....we all know Argyle's best 11 or 13 players because they play all the time if available.....we did look leg weary even in the first half...and Duracell battery Camara was loping around more than running.....he got so easily robbed once from behind from a pass out from Cooper that it summed up the teams effort....quite often we got robbed from passouts from defenders that it did seem we were tired mentally and Charlton seemed more aware.