1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Crawley

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 29, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They come thick and fast at this time of year don't they and it's nearly time for the next encounter this time with a complete mid table team. Crawley are currently 14th. Our form over the last 5 matches has been 2 wins, 2 lost and 1 draw. Crawley though have 3 wins and 2 lost. Not such bad form for their position although one of those results was against Newport, another against Leyton Orient and the other versus Crewe. None of which can be said to be currently setting any fires. We on the other hand took 3 points off Doncaster and a draw against Wycome both of whom are flying currently.

Mr. Adams has said that they are looking to sign up to 3 players in the January transfer window. He has refused to say for what position so with a bit of luck that will galvanise the players into wanting to impress. I actually don't think any of them have tried not to impress this season so far but it won't do them any harm to be looking over their shoulders. This is another one we should win. It's something I've said quite a few times this season. My reasoning here is that we had our blip which was 3 loses on the bounce and now we are back undefeated in the last 3 so hopefully on another run of form. We did this before so perhaps we can do it again. I do think Liverpool is a bit of a distraction. The supporters don't seem able to talk about much else at the minute despite the league being the obvious priority. You cannot tell me the players aren't thinking about it as well. It therefore begs the question once again..............what could possibly go wrong.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

After tonights results it's an idea game to stretch the gap to 4th once more. Oh dear.............

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I thought you'd like to see this, quoting Sonny Bradley....

please log in to view this image

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Doncaster only draw....1-1.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Not a very good game to listen to especially with Guy Branson talking more than the commentator
    It was like the Guy Branson Show.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just a short report as it is New Year's Eve and I suspect all are busy. Argyle came away with a hard earned 3 points which restored us to the top of the league, and more importantly 9 points clear of 4th. Far from a classic match and it really was just a question of whether we would be patient enough to break down a team that was clearly only here for a point. First half started brightly enough but soon ended up as a bit of a war of attrition with precious few chances at either end. Miller was having a shocker whilst Garita, Slew and Jervis were providing plenty of threat but with only a few moments of real excitement. Half time came and went and DA made early changes and changed the formation. Argyle's threat grew and grew and eventually we got the ball in the net. The negative Crawley were forced to come out a bit and Luke pulled off one excellent save to prevent an equaliser. The game was stretched and the second went in when we found a bit of space in the final third and the game was done.

Threkland and Tanner both scored which was a good thing, everyone had pretty decent games,. Crawley moaned almost as much as old Wycombe. I thought that the ref did alright- it was an odd performance....he could/should have produced a couple of cards early on but didn't; somehow he managed 11 yellows in a match that hardly had a bad tackle in it-Smith was slightly lucky to stay on the pitch for more than a few minutes after cynically pulled down their player- fortunately the ref must have deemed it to not be a goal scoring opportunity and a yellow sufficed.

Threklend correctly won the MOTM, Fox did well as did the back 4.

Over 9000 there and only about 50 in the away end.

Half the season gone and top of the league! Lets hope we can keep it going.

Happy New Year all!

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Pretty much sums it up sor me as well. I think the fact Smith did his rugby act on almost the halfway line saved his bacon. The Ref wasn't bad and a fair few of the cards were for dissent I think. Boy didn't Crawley moan and moan. Just like an old Evans team. Their manager must be well hacked with some of his players who didn't learn they were going to get booked for dissent. I actually expected a red card somewhere in the game because without it being a dirty match football wise it was heading that way. I thought that if Crawley had been better in the final third in front of goal they might have nicked this game. We huffed a lot and didn't create enough in front of goal either. Not sure how we managed 2 in the end. Great result given others and pleased with the points. Only one more win should see us safe now.........

No time to relax as another game in a couple of days.

Happy New Year to everyone and hopefully to Argyle as well.