1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Crawley

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 26, 2020.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

WE played the last team a month apart from the away and home fixtures but this time it is the mighty Crawley who we last played way back in September. We managed to go one down, pull it back, go one up and then draw in the end. However, at that time we were definitely an up and down team form wise whereas now we seem to have stopped that particular rot.

So, form wise you cannot fault Argyle at the moment either home or away. Crawley on the other hand have had a very mixed bag of results lately which is not doing a lot for their league position. I keep asking this question game after game but still am not totally convinced we have changed completely. Can we win this game? Of course we can given all the pointers that are seeable. Will we win this game? That depends still on which Argyle turns up. We have been so prone to breaking our runs this season that I can't help wondering if this will be our latest banana skin where we are expected to win at a canter but struggle on the day or night in this case. It's the curse of supporting Argyle that gives us this mind set. I will stick my neck out and say we will win this game and reasonably comfortably for a change. My son said he thinks we are going up automatically and even possibly as the No'1 team. He's quite the pessimist so if he thinks so then we must be doing something right.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I will miss the Crawley game as i'm having surgery on my Prostate. Will look for the result Post Op.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Hope all goes well with your ball game also BC,

4. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Well thank you Mr. S.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Kick-off put back to 2015 hrs....because of bad traffic congestion around Plymouth.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Palmer, Edwards, Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer, George Cooper, Sarcevic, Josh Grant, Bakinson, Moore, Hardie.

Subs
    Michael Cooper, Conor Grant, Joel Grant, Lolos, Randell, Jephcott, Cleal.

PS.....No Danny Mayor in the squad ?.....starting transfer rumours before the January window closes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...Ollie Palmer...27 minutes.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...Sarcevic (pen)...44 minutes.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...H/T.

10. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Need to win this one now as the top two lost..... :D

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...Jephcott...83 minutes.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...Ollie Palmer...90+2 minutes.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...F/T.....that was hard work and disappointing.....with Swindon and Exeter both losing we would have really benefitted with a win.....but even with a draw we gain on both of them.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We were pants tonight. However if you can play that badly and still pick up a point whether home or away then it isn't a disaster. We tried very hard to give the result to Crawley who weren't any great shakes themselves. Some of the communication between players was non existent and you would be forgiven for thinking they had never met let alone trained together. We got away with one is about my summary. MOM for me was Sarcevic who doesn't know when to stop trying or running.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the Sky match highlights....phew.... the defence at times reverted to their old style relegation form of last season.

It looks like Palmer had a bit of a mare in goal and didn't seem confident in his defence in front of him.....couldn't believe the moment he rolled the ball out and our defender didn't pick it up and lost it to a Crawley player....so lucky that it didn't end up in the net.

Dominated in the air with their equalizer.....Wootton and Canavan not switched on to the danger.....also teams picking up that Sawyer needs targeting with a speedy winger........it could of been worse and a point is more than Swindon and Exeter got.

16. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

A very disappointing and worse, disturbing performance. Good in patches, the first 15 minutes for example, but poor in the rest,

It's the first time in a while I've gone to 2 consecutive home games and the same problem was there in both. If we're pressed high up the field, our back 3 can't play out which stifles our attacking and presents the opposition with chances when we give it away in our own half, which was frequently.

Compounding that, Mayor holding the ball too long does get criticised by some, including me, but when you see a team without him you realise that he does help the transition from defence to attack. In that issue is contained the switch Lowe has had to make from pure possession at Bury to territorial advantage using longer passes at Argyle. Our midfield couldn't hold the ball to save their lives last night and we paid for it. Sarcevic was my MotM too, by some distance, but his style is high energy running, tackling and shooting, not studious guarding of the ball. I've seen Bakinson twice and I'm not a fan so far.

The three wise men behind me were having a go at Sawyer also but what they seemed not to grasp is that he isn't playing LB but LCB in a 3. He should be getting cover from Cooper at LWB but his instincts are attack, attack, attack. Edwards on the right is nowhere near as creative but he does do his defensive tasks.

I lost count of the number of times players dozed off and gave away daft throw ins and so on. Individually they are nothing but they give the opposition the ball and they gave every impression of a team having a collective inability to concentrate amidst a hectic midfield battle, The one that summed it up in the first half was Palmer in possession of the ball in the middle of the six yard box and deciding to pass it 5 yards straight forward to I suppose Canavan without noticing Canavan was facing the other way. The ball is then loose on the penalty spot with both of them rooted like rabbits in the headlights. We didn't concede but we deserved to for that one.

Lowe has called for patience and he's right, the crowd did get on the players' backs last night and given we haven't been out of the top 10 all season (have we?) and are lying 4th with games in hand, they deserve better, but we could and should have done so much better last night.

I forecast a 3-0 win last night and based on our good bits, that wasn't as daft as it sounds now, but we need to be solid for 90 minutes rather than spectacular for 15 and below par for 75.

17. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

This don't give a feck attitude been going on for years now even with different squads...mind boggling to say the least! But it's a point we never had....

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Looking at the highlights we could have been stuffed in this game...

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not really. We tried to give them a goal a few times and managed it once at least but stuffed is not a description I would use.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

This is the last post from BC that we have...on the Crawley Match Day thread......he doesn't say how serious it was going to be.....probably didn't know I expect.

That was back on January 26th.....over five weeks ago.....I would have hoped that we would have heard from him by now.....hope he is ok.