1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Crewe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been suggestions that David Artell is employing Derek Adams to write his post-match speeches.....;).

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

That is I understand the best opening day result for Argyle in its entire 133 year history.

I've been reading the player ratings on http://argyle.life . They make interesting reading

Having been worried about the lack of new defenders, all 3 of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer got 7/10, with the combined unit rated 8/10. It's not as if the had an easy ride as Crewe put on some pressure in the second half.

Joe Edwards got 8/10 in the holding midfield role and the two wing backs, Joe Riley and Callum McFadzean also got 8's.

Surprisingly though, the weakest area was the centre midfield, where both Antoni Sarcevic and Danny Mayor only got 6's. We might have expected that to be a strength but I suppose in some ways it could be a blessing in disguise as we know both can do better.

Up front, Joel Grant got an 8, partly for his attacking but also for working hard to prevent the Crewe defence playing the ball out constructively in the Ryan Lowe style. Byron Moore however only got a 6 although that's linked to the average performance in CM.

Man of the match was Alex Palmer with a modest 10/10. To quote:

Tricky decision on whether to give Palmer a 9 or a 10, but when he made so many crucial saves, and at vital moments, you can’t really say he didn’t deserve the top rating. He had a quiet opening period but came to life right before Argyle’s second goal, making a superb double save from close range to prevent a Crewe equaliser as the opposition started to get on top. A minute later and Argyle had doubled their lead.

It was that match-winning impact that bumps Palmer from a 9 to a 10. Not only did he do everything asked of him, distributing well and attacking crosses, he popped up at vital moments to skew things Argyle’s way. He then made a series of excellent saves in the second half as Crewe dominated. Had he not kept them out, then they would have pulled within a goal and sensed blood. This performance was nowhere near as good as it looked at 3-0, but Palmer was the main man in ensuing that Argyle not only won, but won comfortably.

Mention in dispatches for Conor Grant who came on for Sarcevic and got a 7/10. Perhaps we missed him last season more than we realised.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's good to see your team win and play really well but in the end you only get anything for the win part. I'll take played ok in every match if we win it 3 - 0. It is as good as it looks because that is all you will see in the record books. No matter how well Crewe played in the second half they failed to score and still conceded one. We kept them out and that is all you can ask of the players. I read some comments on pasoti last night and for some you would think we lost. All I can say is you cannot have any negativity when you win away 3-0 on the first day of a season. But, typical Argyle fans isn't it. Instead of a glass half full they moan they didn't think they had a glass at all.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Lowe can get such players as Scott Wootton performing this season....if so it leaves question marks against Derek Adams ability to get the best out of players......in the end you wondered if anyone was playing for Adams.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been reading about Wootton and the supposed useless contributions he made last season. The truth belays the inference that he was useless. The real truth is he hardly played and was never really given a chance to contribute. That is a fact not an opinion and he says as much in his prematch interview. However in the age old Argyle tradition he was made one of the scapegoats for last season's failures. You should read it. Have to say that before reading it I thought he was part of the problem myself. Maybe Lowe doesn't have to get the best out of him just give him the chance and he will show it himself.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I have read his interview and wondered how such a promising early career could end up looking like he was useless....it doesn't help having injuries and unlucky moments at the end of matches such as own goals knocks your confidence.....BUT every player had a clean slate when Ryan Lowe took over.....Wootton got a hug from Lowe at the end of the match....and being handed the No5 shirt before the season started by Lowe can only mean that Lowe has a spot for him in his plans and that must be a confidence booster.....as I said early question marks over Adams man management possibly.

7. notDistantGreen

It's a team game and the defence tend to be the ones that look bad when the others aren't doing their bit. Derek Adams' selections in midfield frequently left the defence exposed to attackers running through with the ball at their feet. Joe Edwards got an 8/10 on Saturday in a position David Fox was unsuited to but was regularly put into.

As another fan said, there was no sitting back on a 0-1 lead yesterday as Adams would have done. They continued to press high up the field. Crewe's highly rated right back, Ng, got booked and McFadzean scored twice from left wing back, including the third right at the end when last season we'd have been camped in our own penalty box.

And then there's this:

Argyle Truth‏@ArgyleTruth 15h15 hours ago
    More
    Alexa, show me the definition of brick wall. #pafc

please log in to view this image

1 reply .2 retweets51 likes

Retweet

Liked 51

Direct message

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't know why they put Palmer on the caption. He definitely punched it..................

Not going to get two carried away with day one of a new season but the result certainly does give a bit of confidence. I think the green army have been looking for something to cling on to and Lowe and the players have given them that. We all know though how quickly things can go tits up so it is best to wait a while before we all go mad about things.

9. notDistantGreen

Agreed and I think we will take some unsettling defeats while the new system beds in. Not on Saturday though I hope.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

2 out of 4 of my group won't be there on Saturday due to hols and stuff. Probably just as well as I would hate to be the jinx. It does make me smile sometimes though when we have a good result or a bit of a run. Some do go a bit overboard with their hopes and dreams. Then we get a bad one and you would think the world has ended. There is definitely no in between with our crowds.