1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Crewe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 26, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well the boys in green made very hard work of the last game so what will they do for this one. Win I think even if it is yet another game against bottom of the table opposition. It really is strange how we often seem to struggle against these sides where the form book says we should win it at a canter. Of course there is no such thing as Argyle and canter being said or written in the same sentence. Crewe got an away draw at Rotherham last time out which isn't a bad result for them at all. This fixture though is a bit different where it is Tuesday and they have to travel a much longer distance to get here. Argyle on the other hand were on the back of two long treks to away games and a game that was played at 90 miles an hour. This time it is no travel and they will have had a proper rest in between. Or as Plym would say "Oh no it's a banana skin waiting to happen again".

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I assume a lot of struggling teams at the bottom come not to lose so just stifle being attacked.....but Doncaster did give it a go and were unlucky to go home with nothing.....I think both penalties were ok....although Jephcott was a little lucky scoring his......Agard was literally rugby tackled in the end for the second.....although he did help the ref with adding a dive to it.

Crewe are the only team at the moment to have lost to Charlton....so I need a win to stop my Son and Grandson gaining bragging rights over that fact.....of course at present they can still live on the 6-0 thrashing they gave us at Home Park during our end of season meltdown last season.....although they've been very good about it.....I expect they felt sorry for me supporting a team that just laid down and let their tummy be tickled.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle looked a little jaded and probably tired on Saturday.....we're not using the squad to give players a break fron consecutive matches.....I'm not sure Ryan Lowe trusts his subs bench to maintain the same level of performance.....we need James Bolton, Niall Ennis, George Cooper and even Danny Mayor being fit and available.

I do feel Panutche Camara will run out of steam... like last season...if he plays nearly ninety minutes each game.....would be nice to see him subbed after sixty....but only if we have full control of the game by then....but that isn't always the case.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Sure a lot of other teams have selection problems but 3pts are vital in order to get to that 55pt whatever safety. Cannot afford to slip up like last season as if went on for another month we would have been relegated lol.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It must be Broom and Camara and Edwatds and Grant feelin the pain most as that's where the miles get run.

Would be nice to firmly in control at half time and give Randell, Garrick and Law a run. We can't afford to risk Mayor or Cooper until they are 100% ready.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have to smile sometimes when I read some people's comments. The contradiction with opinions is quite funny.

"You don't change a winning combination or side" - "We are not using the Squad to give players a break"

"I'm not sure Lowe trusts his subs bench" - "You don't change a winning combination or side"

"We don't want a repeat collapse like last season" - "We have a complete new defence and 10 different players"

Why would Lowe have acquired the bench players if he thought none of them could play? What has happened this season with all of these different players to assume a collapse was imminent? A little bit of trust in all of them from Manager down would be nice for a change. I read your comment on Pasoti Plym. You really don't like Danny Mayor do you as you always seem to be putting him down. I can assure you if you watched him more then you might change your mind.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wish I had the chance to watch him in the flesh.....might have a chance at Charlton in awhile...if I feel able to leave Mrs Plym for 4/5hrs or so.

Or maybe he will just frustrate me more with his lack of end product.....the team isn't missing him at the moment results wise.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What Mayor does is firstly get the team up the pitch with his runs. He normally isn't the one with the assist but what he does is play somebody else in to be the assistant. I agree he doesn't score enough but by the time he gets anywhere near he is surrounded by several players. He attracts them like a moths to a light and thereby gives space to others. Like they do to Camara now they kick him a lot. So his stats may not read the way you would want them to but his contribution is large nonetheless. I realise you can't watch him regularly due mostly to geography but if you did I am sure you would be sold more easily. However, he will have to play himself back into contention once the chance comes because I don't think you can change a winning side that easily.

9. notDistantGreen

If you mean Mayor Plym, we aren't missing him because Ryan Broom turns out to an absolute whirlwind of a player. With the quality and effort he's showing for us, I cannot imagine how Bristol Rovers let him go.

No, I wouldn't drop Broom for Mayor but there are tactical situations where I'm sure Mayor's ability to keep possession and to twist and turn a defence until it turns into an incoherent tangle will be of value. And I believe Broom can play LWB, so if something happened to Conor Grant, then we could see Broom and Mayor down the left. That isn't a prospect many defenders would enjoy.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We do seem to be one sided down the left always......left footed Carey used to play down the right and cut across the penalty area...scaring the daylights out of defences as he looked for a clear site of goal for that deadly left foot.....we do miss action at present down the right side

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson , Edwards, Broom, Houghton, Camara, Jephcott, Hardie.

Subs
    Burton, Garrick, Agard, Randell, Galloway, Law, G Cooper.

George Cooper on the Bench....no Mayor.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...F/T

Hardie 72mins..........Kashket 3mins.

Argyle have 4 substitutes on.....can that be right ?

Looks like we've acquired a few injuries tonight.

13. notDistantGreen

Well that looked a foregone conclusion beforehand but Crewe turned out to be a neat little passing side. Some decent players: Robertson and Bennett stood out for me. Perhaps they're lacking a really threatening striker to finish the moves off but they really don't look bottom 4 material.

They kicked off and before we'd really got hold of the ball at all, they fluked a goal from nowhere. The ball fell to Kashket on their left about 15 yards in from the corner flag. Perhaps Edwards should have left his man and got out to him but that would have opened the door to a little pass into the box. Perhaps Cooper should have stayed on his near post rather than stepping back to collect the inevitable cross. Nobody could have expected Kashket to fire one across the box but he did and it flew in high up at the far post. Did he really mean it as a shot? Who knows but it went in

After a period of shock, Argyle got on top and had a rash of chances. The stats say 26 shots but that really doesn't reflect how many times the ball fizzed around the Crewe penalty box to no avail.

Crewe revived a bit early in the second half but soon Argyle were on top again and a scything movement down the left saw Broom threatening the box. While his defender was facing up the threat from there, Hardie slipped a yard away and that was enough for Broom to find him with a sliderule pass. Hardie's first touch was sublime and the second sent the ball across the keeper and into the far corner.

End to end play ensued with Crewe fair dos to them, taking off a CB and putting on a CF. Neither side could steal it at the end.

The injuries are worrying.

Wilson went off after being struck in the face by the ball. A concussion protocol substitution was allowed and hopefully he'll be available on Saturday.

Conor Grant though went off with what looked like a hamstring injury. Garrick looked good going forward from LWB and took a turn upfront late on as Law came on for Jephcott, presumably just to rest ghe latter.

Similarly, Agard for Hardie wasn't due to injury.

What doesn't show in the substitutions though is that Jordan Houghton seemed to take a knock to a knee and looked uncomfortable thereafter. Hopefully it's just an impact injury and nothing more.

Argyle dominated for considerable periods but Crewe worked hard to stop that being converted to clear chances. We probably should have won it but I can't begrudge Crewe their point.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have still to see the first goal and have no idea what happened even though I sit right opposite the 18 yard box at that end. I have never seen the ground go that quiet so suddenly and I am convinced the player who scored had no idea at first he had. It was just plain weird. It was out on the wing area and then it was in and it looked to me at first as if it was the side netting. After that I thought it went through the netting. But it didn't and we were one down before you could blink.

We huffed and puffed a lot in that first half bet Crewe were resolute and threw their bodies behind the ball at every turn. They had a couple of chances themselves and Cooper was man of the match in the first half. Make no mistake this Crewe side are no mugs and why they are where they are is beyond me. We threw everything but the kitchen sink at them and they held out with block after block. Eventually with a really good move Hardie was played in and he finished as only he can. Crewe did not deserve to lose as Notdistant says so I guess 1 - 1 was fair in the end.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Thought it would be a tough game but it's another point towards safety. See Ipswich and Wednesday picking up points now. Gonna get interesting.....

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It was announced as part of the change to the sub rules for this season. Not sure what the difference is for a concussion rather than any other injury but still.

I thought last nights results were the weirdest for the season so far HP. It's not really surprising that some of the "bigger" clubs are picking up results wise now. I nearly choke when I use that term. For some of them it won't last though and they can't all go up anyway. Funny enough the one that shocks me more is Doncaster. They just can't buy a result so far even though I thought they were half way decent when they played us last weekend. Normally they are there or there about.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rather puzzling the Ipswich v Doncaster result last night.

1.....Ipswich bouncing along just above the relegation line score six,

2.....Doncaster hardly bothered the staticians last night.....33% of possession.....BUT have only one shot at goal which was on target....no corners at all against a struggling Ipswich who score SIX....mugs game trying to predict this lot

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the Tunnel Cam....at half-time there were some players getting treatment......and at the end of the match when they came back to the changing room they all looked totally knackered.....and it isn't October yet.....we're going to need to rotate the squad more from the start of games....some key players are playing too much football....it's going to catch up with us soon.