1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 11, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With or without Mr Barton in charge we have to owe Fleetwood a kicking after our debacle at their place earlier. Would like to think we have improved enough to win this one even if not at a canter. Will be nice for our boys to get back onto a decent pitch and be able to play their normal game. Not that anyone could have played fancy football on Tuesday night.

COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of a time when PAFC had 3 strikers under contract such that when any one of them appeared on the teamsheet, you rubbed your hands with glee and thought "we'll score today".

On the face of it, you can't leave Jephcott out because of his scoring rate. Almost all of his goals are from very short range though and have to be made for him. Ennis and Hardie do more to make chances for themselves and others.

So a straw poll:

1 Ennis & Hardie
    2 Ennis & Jephcott
    3 Hardie & Jephcott ?

I can't help noticing Niall Ennis has the biggest gluteal muscles to appear in Argyle shorts since Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. That can't be a bad omen.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In order of preference for me it would be 3 followed closely by 2. I think Jephcott has more of an understanding as the feed man than the other two. I would not be bothered if it was 2 followed by 3 either. Erm.....I have never noticed his legs notdistant.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When Ennis scored it was his pace that created the opportunity from the defensive cock-up.....I'm not sure if Hardie would have found it so easy to do the same.

Hardie's goal scoring achievements have not been anywhere near what he achieved at the end of last season.

Ennis although showing rawness in his first few games has already scored twice in his short time here.

Jephcott requires that killer pass into the 6 yard box to do his work....and that at times needs good service from the wings or through the centre...he needs serious watching.

But Ennis and Hardie use speed to latch on to the ball played quickly from break-outs of defence....so a bit of variety there.

We've got to make sure that Fleetwood don't score early...because when they've got their tails up they can become dominant.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Think Hardie is faster than he looks. I was reading your post and got to "they can become" and was left dangling.......

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I was left dangling as well.....I got called away for a moment....then when I came back I thought I had just forgotten to post....it's an age thing I expect.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Opoku. Aimson, Fornah, Grant, Camara, Mayor, Moore, Ennis, Jephcott.

Subs
    McCormick, Edwards, Hardie, Reeves, Lolos, Lewis, Woods.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Holgate .11mins... OG....H/T

Camara taking a bit of stick....but no protection from the Ref.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0......F/T.

Argyle always needed a second goal....just to calm down the Green army.

The defence always looked like it had a mistake just around the corner.

Impressed with Ennis and his turn of speed....he is seriously fast at times.....might be taking over from Hardie as Jephcott's strike partner.

Fornah had a good game...saved at least one goal and broke up numerous attacks.

So Fornah just beat Ennis for MOTM.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  10. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Never watched game but seems we're learning slowly with a few nightmares of course lol. Maybe teams will be wearing nappies in the near future when we show up<laugh>

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Absolutely spanked them with an own goal......

Thought we were worth the win today. Hard fought and a bit of a strange Ref to say the least. Despite the score line and the fact it was hard fought I thought we did well in all laces today with nobody being that much of a weak link in any position. I did think the Ref was worryingly wrong in quite a few decisions but they were fortunately for both sides. So I guess if he is consistent then that's about all you can ask. I think the wind played quite a part in the game today and was stronger than it looked out there. Not a day for running about in shorts and a tee shirt.

12. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Hardie reminds me of a greyhound, don't underestimate his pace or his deadly finishing when he's on song.

Bit of a nervous and scrappy affair again. Not our best performance by a long way but I think justice was done.

I don't get refs these days. They penalise trivial offences, often reaching for a card, but then when their substitute RB Saunders scythes down Adam Lewis right at the end, foot raised, studs showing and late, he gets a yellow. That's a potential leg breaker and should have been a nailed on red.

He may have seen red (pardon pun) for an incident a bit earlier. Right in front of his own dugout, he's trying to stop Danny Mayor taking the ball down the left. Mayor's hard against the touchline and a bit hemmed in. He goes in for the tackle and Mayor is literally not there any more: he's gone: he's two or three yards away towards the Fleetwood goal. He doesn't know how, I don't know how, but he's gone. Talk about embarrassing.