1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 15, 2023.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is a tricky one because you never quite know what you are going to get with Fleetwood. That is despite their current league position. They have won their last 2 having lost the previous 3. They also beat us early on in the season with a late winner. Now where have I heard us let in a late goal before? A further problem is a certain Mr. Stockley who as I recall ripped us apart single handedly at Charlton on the dreaded 5 - 0 loss night.

However, having said all of the above we are better as a team now than then. We have been riding high for most of the season and we are at home. Have to say I'm not sure about this game albeit on paper it doesn't look like a tricky one. There is no doubt we CAN win this and if I am saying this hopefully I think we will. The Ref has quite high stats for cards again but I'm getting the feeling they all have this season so perhaps he isn't a hanging judge after all.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unfortunately I can say....I woz there....you do Whittaker a disservice by saying nil at the Charlton match....this was his first Argyle goal.....any ripping apart was done by winger Jesurun Raki-Sakyi on loan from C Palace....their top goal scorer this season on 9....made Gillesphey look as if he didn't want to be there.

Stockley did score the penalty after the sending off.....been a total disappointment for Charlton with only 3 goals.....couldn't get rid of him quick enough when Fleetwood came calling.

Fleetwood also brought in Peterborough striker Jack Marriott (7 this season for Posh)....I would be more worried about him if he plays....they've had a few games together now so they'll probably come good against us I expect.

Stockley has scored one so far....Marriott nil at present.

There top scorers this season are.....Carlos Mendes Gomes on 6.....Shaun Rooney on 5 and Promise Omochere also on 5.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are right I'm getting my games mixed up. It was so forgettable that I forgot.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Getting a bad feeling about this game.

Fleetwood have strengthened during the January window.

They have won their last three games.....at home to Peterborough 1-0....away to Charlton 2-1......and of course beating Sheffield W... in a FA Cup replay 1-0.

And we lost there at the beginning of the season.......they're on a double against us.

Will Stockley and Marriott both be in the team ?

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

................................................................................Burton

...................Lonwijk............................................Wilson...............................................Gillesphey

.......Edwards.......................Houghton................................Matete......................................C Wright

.................................................T Wright....................................Azaz

.....................................................................Hardie

Subs
    Parkes, Bolton, Butcher, Ennis, Miller, Cosgrove, Mumba.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just heard on BBC Final Score....that someone has just won £600 by hitting the crossbar.....biggest cheer of the match so far.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Had the better of it but haven’t got the goal. Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 2 MKD. Hmmmm

9. notDistantGreen

Listening to a Michael Cooper interview on Argyle TV. As a junior for Argyle, he was also playing cricket for Devon. Don’t you just hate people like that?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...F/T.

Disappointing but not surprised.

Wednesday score 5.....Ipswich score 4.....Barnsley score 4.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023

11. notDistantGreen

Disappointing result against a determined performance from Fleetwood. Down to second and 8 points clear of 3rd placed Ipswich.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This is the easiest round up of a game so far this season. Result dreadful, Opposition dreadful, Argyle to a man dreadful and Referee dreadful. Thats basically it.

13. notDistantGreen

I was afraid of that. Azaz coming off because he “wasn’t at his best” didn’t sound good.

I don’t want to sound like one bad game is the end of the world but I wonder if the squad rotation has gone a bit far. There’s something to be said for having a “best 11” or a near equivalent.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Azaz looked like a complete amateur today. Touch non existant, passing non existant and anything else non existant. He was not alone. Sad part is we could have had at least 4 in the first half alone had anyone had a pair of shooting boots to finish with. It wasn't as if Fleetwood were this unbeatable wall. We were just pants and I do think our esteemed Manager has green tints on tonight. He says not a lot wrong and I have to say that if he truely believed that then he was at a completely different game to me.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Don't underestimate Fleetwood....they've done well in January....strengthening there team well.
    There win over Sheffield Wednesday should have warned us.....unbeaten in their last four games now.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not underestimating them as it's a bit late for that as the game is over. IF we had taken just a couple of the gilt edged chances especially in the first half then they would have looked even more ordinary. They are not a good side they are no more than average. Well at least they were in this match. We were poor all around today and it was the worst performance by a few players I have seen this season. We are better than that and I have every confidence we will bounce back from today. Some days you could play for hours and never score and today was one of them.

17. notDistantGreen

Schumacher is saying we played reasonably well, particularly in the first half. He reverted to one striker and two No 10s because he expected Fleetwood to sit deep, which they did. In fact the 10’s did receive the ball 70 times, which is a lot apparently.

He admits the problem was from there on, converting those positions into on target chances and goals.

Our next league game is away at Peterborough so they’ll need to be a lot sharper then.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't often disagree with Schuey but I do on this occasion. Ok we were better at the back than at the front but going forward and actually making something of the chance was a different story. In that we did not play ok we were crap. At times it was almost impossible to believe we didn't at least get a shot away. Two on target says it all and one of those was a punt straight into the Keepers arms like a gentle lob which my Grannie would have saved.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Fleetwood had no shots on target.......and committed 16 fouls to our 3 .......2pts lost for us.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The last 3 games have netted 7 points. That's still better than 2 per game on average so nothing to be too despondent about. If we maintain that then the club in third will have to go some.

Greenarmyjoe likes this.