1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Gillingham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 16, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thought I'd give you more time to contemplate this one given the apparent history between the two clubs. I have read that it is 41 years, yes that is right, since we won at their ground. That stat seems almost impossible but is true according to pasoti who don't often get historical stuff wrong. Apparently their record down here isn't much better but that isn't the point is it. It is about time we put that record to bed and lets hope it's this season. The Ref once again seems to be a card happy one with 76 yellows and 5 reds in 23 games. Last time we had him though we won 3 - 0.

So what do you reckon? Can we finally break the hoodoo and come away with all of the points or are we destined never to get a win there ever. I think that if we are going to do it then this season is the one so I'm going for a definite win even if not totally comfortable.

COYG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I might be putting be putting the mockers on this game....I've never seen anything but defeat down Gillingham....and I'm going.

Just to remind you all.....I went to Charlton earlier this season.....and witnessed Argyle lose their unbeaten run...with a bit of a damp squid performance.

So 4th of March 1986 we got a draw.....and the last win was the 28th of February 1981.....although we did get a win there just over 20 years back when Brighton were using Gillingham as there home ground....less then 2,000 in the ground on that day....and I wasn't one of them...so maybe that's why we won ?

So Gillingham's home record is.....16P...4W...4D...8L...12 goals for... and 28 goals against....what possibly could go wrong ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just revisited the stats and apparently out of 54 times we have played them there we have lost 28 but won 15 and drawn 11. So the loss ratio is only just over the 50%. Better than I thought (he says hopefully).

4. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

My Daughter and Son in Law from Sittingbourne will be there.
    My Daughter in her Argyle shirt, and he in his Gillingham shirt.
    Sounds like a fun day out..

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I think it's going to be a wet and windy afternoon down there....the away end is an open stand with no roof.....built on half the scaffolding in Kent I would think.

I'll be in the Medway 'C' Stand up the top in the dry.....hoping I don't get wet from all my tears if we end up getting the usual result down there.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Given the forecast for here tomorrow and up country for Saturday I'm wondering how many games will bite the dust.

7. AWAY IN BC

Is the game on. ?
    A bit windy there i read.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

At the moment it is BC. Not sure if it will stay on and given the weather even for tomorrow it won't lead to great football. I'm sure there will be some games off even if it's waterlogging.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A bit of turnstile damage at Gillingham so they say.....but the game is still on.

AWAY IN BC likes this.
  10. AWAY IN BC

I will be up for the game anyway...if it's off then back to bed..

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You should live in a civilised country with proper timing BC. I will get up tomorrow, have brunch, open a bottle of beer and settle down to follow the match. Never mind this setting the alarm and getting up at some ungodly hour.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been checking train disruptions.....some of the green army might have a difficult journey today....just needs the odd weakened tree to decide to topple this morning and chaos will happen.

My journey from Bromley South at the moments looks okay.....and Gillingham have soughted out the damage that has occurred their end.

At the moment there are no reports of games off over the country.....just the Bournemouth game Friday evening...which was understandable.

Just noticed the Exeter games off.

13. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And I think there might be road works on the two obvious ways to get to the M3 via M5 J29 or M5 J26.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just arrived back home from Bromley South Station....no North Kent coast trains running at the moment...and they can't tell you when because of tree clearing....the alternative is to go to Victoria...catch the underground to St Pancras.... and catch the high speed Folkestone service.....you must be joking.

So it's possible that travelling from Plymouth....and then St Pancras... is easier to do... than travelling from NW Kent.

Looking forward to todays trip....oh well.... they should have a better chance of winning without me there.

15. notDistantGreen

Ennis and Garrick start up front, otherwise the 1st 11 available

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Bolton, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Garrick, Ennis.

Subs
    Burton, Broom, Hardie, Randell, Law, Jephcott, Crichlow.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Load of attempts and none on target so far. Possession 70+%.

18. notDistantGreen

All Argyle in terms of possession but not making clear chances yet. Tricky conditions... pitch is OK apparently but wind is making things hard.

19. notDistantGreen

Gillingham dropping deep when Argyle have the ball, which Argyle haven't taken advantage of. Perhaps it's a day for Jephcott to get a scruffy one from a couple of yards in a crowded bix. Garrick not having best of days according to commentary.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T....no shots on target yet by either side....but Argyle have had 9 attempts to Gillingham's 2 off target.