1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Lincoln

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 26, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes quite..

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting that Ryan Lowe revealed that the club had spoken to the ref before the game about the unnatural number of penalties Lincoln were getting and the player who was winning them. I didn't know that sort of conversation was allowed. Fat lot of good it did.

Let's be totally honest about this though. This is going to sound like.me bashing Luke Jephcott again but it isn't meant to be.so. He's not a target man and our style of football isn't supposed to include high balls pumped up in the hope someone will win them. However, he does get balls lumped up at him and as always takes a battering from CBs. He goes down a lot is all I'm saying and almost never gets a free kick. Is the word out there? If so, why doesn't it apply to Lincoln penalties?

As Sensible has said, the biggest refereeing issue for us is the battering Danny Mayor gets week in, week out with no protection at all. In the main, he gets up and gets on with it but if nobody else is going to, perhaps he should learn to scream and writhe around too.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There was one occasion against Lincoln (I can't remember who it was)... when we had a camera view from behind the goal... and an Argyle player was on the ball advancing towards the left hand upright....and then got tackled....the Argyle player staggered for a moment and still tried to get to the ball before it went out of play.....personally it was a nailed on penalty if he had gone down...but no he still went for the ball and the moment was gone.....is that a lack of awareness and naivety to still try for the ball...?....or is it just plain honesty.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read a post on pasoti last night which summed it up for me. I am like that poster a member of the old school. When I played cricket and if I touched the ball and it was caught I walked. Didn't wait for the finger to be raised I just went. I never feigned an injury playing football and never just fell over. I was a winger and got on the wrong end of many a slide tackle (remember them). But I never just fell down and it was a source of pride if you could stay upright. This modern thing is just plain cheating no matter how anyone tries to cover it up. The feigning of injury to get somebody booked and the rolling around on the floor is pitiful. If you are going to fall down then you clearly have to practice rolls and somersaults these days and lets not forget the cry as if you just stepped into a gin trap. ALL teams seem to do it but some do it far more and probably better than others. This then cascades down to the kids who do it even in the school playground whilst having a kick about. Managers applaud it when it's their boy and moan when it isn't. Pundits give blessing to it as the player's right to fall. Referees are stuck in the middle with slowmo replays which show the slightest contact even if not enough to knock over Captain Tom without his walker. They learn to go on the side of caution and award things they quite possibly think daft. If they don't they get hammered.

This problem can only be solved by the players themselves and their management not putting up with it in their own ranks. As long as they turn a blind eye or condone it then it will be done. It seems quite clear that some teams even get coached in the art of the fall down. Me and my mates used to play who could die best falling down a hill when I was around eight years old. It was a child's game and definitely not a way of life. If you did the same on the park with a ball somebody would make sure you really got kicked. The FA will do nothing as per normal. It's here to stay and I hate it and even more if one of mine does it. It's worse than embarrassing it's shameful.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The only time I can remember really getting injured on a football pitch....was when I laid there for 45 minutes waiting for the ambulance to come.

Nine months off work with a broken right tibia and a double break to the fibula....seven months plastered from my toes to the top of my thigh....the muscle wastage over that time meant that when I eventually got into a bath... my right leg floated like a cork and I didn't have the strength to push it down....that was the worse moment of all.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Ouch.

No Opoku then. Interesting.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Ryan Watson...40 mins.

Banana skin starting to happen.