1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Mansfield in "The Cup"

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bit early with this thread I know but bugger all else seems to be being discussed so thought I might as well chuck it in now.

So this is the FA cup and will it be our usual knocked out in the first round. Do I care much if we are? I have mixed feelings about this due mainly to the overwhelming desire to get out of this league first and foremost. It would be good to get a couple of wins in the cup for a change and perhaps get a big club and payday away. Would have to be away as our ground isn't big enough now for it to be at home. Money is never to be sniffed at. All of that but not at the expense of anything else. Would a cup run be detrimental to our league form or would it just run hand in glove with it for a change.

As for the opposition we have played them once down here on a very windy day when as I recall both teams found it hard to cope. We won the game 2 - 0 and again if memory serves we didn't look much like conceeding or losing on the day. We are still very much the form team of the division and Mansfield are in that division. Our away form has been exceptional so what could possibly go wrong. If we are to have a wobble, and I keep saying it must come eventually, I'd much rather it be in this competion than in the league. Same applies to the Swansea match. Lose them two and get back to winning again in the league for another 13/14 games.

A bit of me wants both though so I'd still tip us to win. Can't help it.......

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Hopefully win to keep up our ego....made the semi final once!

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Garita and Threlkeld both with the squad and warming up but neither on the bench.

Nelson only on the bench in Oxford's televised game today.

4. notDistantGreen

Argyle starting poorly and are 1-0 up though Slew after 13 minutes!

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

First half ended with Argyle winning 1 - 0. Stats are not very impressive for us yet we still have a lead.

6. notDistantGreen

Slew starring it seems....

7. notDistantGreen

Ashley Hemmings, who else, equalizes. Argyle not playing that well, could be difficult in windy conditions.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Somehow Argyle are now 2 - 1 up.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And it ends 2 - 1. Another grind but successful day. At the minute it's report on repeat mode......

10. notDistantGreen

Well, shock. horror, we haven't been knocked out in the first round. Probably hardly deserved it, but who cares? Remind me, playing badly but winning anyway leads to what?

11. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

sensible....two seasons back you predicted Argyle to win 2-1 every game.....hardly ever happened.....this season they have already done it SIX times.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep and I hardly ever do 2 - 1 these days. Did this time though.

As old Brucie used to say "Good game...good game. Points win prizes........what do points win?"

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Out of curiosity I just looked up the prize money for this round winners. £18k and I assume a third of the gate as well. That wasn't a lot but I'm guessing it will be another £5/6k. Take out expenses for the overnight stay etc and they will have pocketed over £20k for an away game. Best part of a weeks wages for the squad. Not bad for a day out I suppose.

14. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I didn't realize that Mansfield was up there amongst the big days out sensible.....:smiley:....look out Blackpool, Brighton and Bournemouth here they come....what a pathetic crowd of only 2318.....their average home league attendance is 3334 per match.......didn't they think that the mighty Argyle weren't worth watching....or don't they like watching defeats....I thought supporting your club came first......I expect with bigger clubs to watch within a shortish travelling time it must be hard to stay loyal.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  15. notDistantGreen

Just watched the video snippets. Three good goals in that game, all from open play. Slew ran the whole length to scorer, taking out the last defender with a sudden acceleration. Good shot into the roof of the net from Hemmings from a tight angle albeit after some so-so defending by Argyle. Cool finish from Fox for the winner after good play down the left.