1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Mansfield

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 26, 2019.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

OK, 3 minutes for 6 substitutions but EIGHT MINUTES of added time?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stop with the panic notdistant the pain is over and we still have the points...............Phew!!!

3. notDistantGreen

Phew. Gritty performance from Argyle in the 2nd half to keep Mansfield out. Doesn't sound as if Mansfield are very good but 3 away points are very welcome.
    Hopefully we haven't picked up any more injuries, especially Mayor.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

PHEW....1-0...F/T... Argyle.....98 minutes played.

5. notDistantGreen

We've both been around Argyle long enough to know that panic is always required unless the number of goals we lead by exceeds the number of minutes remaining!!

I seem to remember the ref scoring against us once..... clearance bounced off his head into the net.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sounds as if George Cooper ended up in the wars.....broken nose and a black eye is what's being said elsewhere.

Also a comment about him...did he get a yellow card for damaging the Mansfield players boot with his face.....the Ref was giving out yellows to Argyle like confetti.....six in all.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I will lay odds that none of the Argyle fouls were anywhere near as bad in result as the one against Cooper. To break his nose with your boot has to be considered dangerous play. That is normally a red. I cannot believe that amount of Argyle fouls warranted 6 yellow cards. I was expecting us to get a red the way it was going.

Anyway, 3 points at last. I am sure I read somewhere that Argyle have not won a game in September for 5 years. I could have got that wrong. But, if not then we have now so that's a monkey off our back.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mansfield only got one yellow......looking through the BBC match stats shows that Cooper's injury wasn't even chalked up as a foul against him......I can only assume that Cooper ferociously attacked the Mansfield players boot with his face....so Cooper was lucky to get away without being booked.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bennings boot was high and although not intentional it was in a dangerous position when he caught Cooper in the face and surely a yellow card....but not given.

Conor Grant's goal was so powerfully hit that it lifted the frame of the net off the ground.

10. notDistantGreen

Cooper was behind the Mansfield player when the latter tried to flick the ball back over his own head was kicked in the face so I suppose he could argue he didn't know he was there. However, Cooper was standing upright, so the foot was very high and that usually attracts a yellow,

The iFollow highlights only show Sawyer's yellow and that was deserved. Presumably none of the other fouls were worth showing! What are shown though are two fouls on Mayor in the same passage of play early in the 1st half. Firstly, there's an attempt to pull Mayor back as he leaves the first defender for dead. Then, as Mayor is advancing into the penalty, a second defender tries to trip him before he gets into the box. Mayor stumbles and stays on his feet but the chance is gone. the ref is looking straight at it from 5 yards but does nothing.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And that's where I have a problem with these Referees. They are so inconsistent. We have had several Refs at Home Park who have virtually given us nothing when fouls are blatant and even penalties are more blatant. In other words far from Homers. Yet in this match there are clear fouls that are not given and in contrast yellow cards handed out, to the away team of course, like confetti. Was he a Homer? You decide. I often have a look around the boards and a common theme this season so far is the worthless officials there are. Being poor is not a crime but if you are having a mare then you should be having an equal mare not a one sided one.