1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus MK Dons

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 14, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Recently we have sort of kick started two clubs season for them and given another a goal to put them in a play off position. We are on the same points as our now opponents. So what does that mean for this game. I think it's about time we kick started our own season and we stopped being nice. It's not like we have played badly in all of these games and we seem to have had our luck taken away, if we had any in the first place, and the only type we get is bad. We must be due to give somebody the run around so lets hope it isn't them running around celebrating that is the outcome. We are good enough to win this one so come on Argyle pull your bleddy finger out and get cracking.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Back in December we beat MK Dons 1-0 at home ending our six game losing streak.......can a win tonight also end our losing run of four matches.....I'm grasping at straws here.....but there's not much else to hope on.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Opoku, Aimson, Fornah, Edwards, Grant, Camara, May, Ennis, Jephcott.

Subs
    McCormick, Hardie, Reeves, Moore, Lolos, Lewis, Woods.

Fornah back in for macleod....Lolos back on the bench.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

MacLeod not in the squad damn it. Injured again presumably.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

running out of enthusiasm like the "team"

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Changes needed like yesterday ffs!

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...H/T.....Jerome...22mins.

I'm not watching this one....but some adverse comments on pasoti......the thought seems to be...how the hell have we got to have time and are only one goal down.

It does seem a mystery that lots of teams we play have been having a tough time....and then they play us and they look a million dollars.

8. notDistantGreen

Jerome is marked until after quite a delay, the ball is crossed. Our defenders then move away from him and GIVE him the room to score.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Only my own opinion but I think we were ripped off by the Ref tonight. I don't think it was a penalty and I do think if that was then where were the two minimum we were not given. I am sick and tired of Refs in this league this season. In the first half he gave everything to MK Dons that he could. In the second he gave us little and not what we should have had and then gave them their points. I haven't seen a replay but I am convinced it was a harsh call on their penalty. We were crap in the first half and deserved nothing. Their goal was a carbon copy of so many we have conceded this season. We were winning the second half by a country mile and then let them back in after we score. The Ref did the rest and I am totally pee'd off.

11. notDistantGreen

Another shockingly poor result on a ploughed lane of a pitch under one of the worst referees I've ever seen.

We're as fragile as a fragile thing that was damaged in transit. We started reasonably but then another horrific mistake in the defence gifts MK a goal and apart from the once again magnificent Niall Ennis, we fall into a pile of tiny little pieces.

I don't know if we watched MK but a brief viewing would have revealed that they have a CB called Darling who brings the ball out of their defence to great effect. We had no tactical plan to stop it in the first half.

In the second half, we started better and Jephcott was denied a penalty when tackled from behind in the box. I think that's what Lowe was booked for when he remonstrated with the ref.

Later, the ref took no action when 3 of their players gave him a roasting for 2 or 3 minutes over some imagined injustice while one of theirs was down injured. A ref cannot allow that with cameras watching. It completely undermines his authority and that of all referees. He is a disgrace to all men in light green.

Hardie came on for an ineffective Jephcott and with Ennis still dropping hand grenades all over the pitch, Hardie's running put their back line under pressure.

Connor Grant then scored one of his trademark thunderbolts and for a brief period we looked the most likely.

Eventually a stalemate ensued until right at the end, Mr. Stockbridge once again intervened. First, he fell for a pathetically obvious dive by one of theirs for a freekick in our right defensive corner. Then, as the cross comes in, he sees a handball in an attempt to block it and it's all over.

That defence needs to play some old fashioned table football. The back line there have wooden rod joining them in a dead straight line at the waist. That's how they need to play, level at all times and up and down the pitch together. Kelland Watts needs to be told to stay in.position and not imagine he's an attacker. I know in an ideal world, the CBs would join in under Ryan Lowe's philosophy but we need to get back to basics. Three defenders, joined at the hip. We won't win games until we get robust back there.

I'm a mixture of depression at the way we are playing with no confidence at all and fury at where they get these so called referees.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Absolutely notdistant.

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Absolutely it is Non Distance, and i'm thousands of miles away..

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So we lost 2-1.....Jerome 22mins & Fraser 89mins pen..........Grant 61mins.

Just been reading the above.....is there a video to look for....I shall search.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video... great goal by Grant....but unlucky with the penalty....I think the Ref had no choice....we would have been livid if we had not got it.

Their first was a typical poor Argyle defensive moment allowing the attacker to climb above you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So five defeats on the trot....the last bad run was six on the trot....that adds up to a quarter of a season with zero points......add to that your top scorer having not scored for ten games which nearly equates to a quarter of a season as well.

Looking at our fixtures left......Bristol R (H)...Blackpool (A)...Shrewsbury (A)...Hull (H)...Burton (A)...Charlton (H)...Oxford (A)...Sunderland (H)...Gillingham (A)....I feel that we could be in a relegation battle.....we need some momentum from somewhere and Bristol R at home our next game is as easy as it gets.

Something is wrong with this squad....we are being deceived with attractive football being played.....but we are always available for soft goals against.....only three teams have a worse defence than us....and with such a poor return in the attacking third we have no way of balancing the goal difference.....we are at times eleven individuals without any on field leadership to show that they care anymore.....and although Ryan Lowe is a likeable person....his coaching and organization of his squad is definately lacking discipline.....as I've said before everything is too gung-ho.....young Kelland Watts at times goes powering up field....and it looks good until it breaks down...and opposition then have acres of space to run into....our defence as individuals do goal saving moments....but as a defensive unit working together they are at times total rubbish....Cooper at times has saved the day with goal saving moments...but you feel he his not protected by his defence being disciplined to snuff out such situations.

I always wonder why Byron Moore is in the squad....and always comes on....I don't see the benefit.....and so called wonder boy Danny Mayor never gets subbed why not....there are times when you just haven't noticed that he is still on the pitch.

I felt out of sorts after the last defeat......the first thing is not to lose.....but our ethics is more to play pretty football for awhile then lose and that will be okay....my worry is that Lowe got an extra year on his contract recently....and we can't get rid of him.....I can hope that the vacancies at Portsmouth and Charlton interest him....but I doubt if they are interested in him.......I haven't had the pleasure of listening to Lowe's post match comments as yet....maybe a good thing it will probably put me in a worse state of mind.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just listened to Lowe's post match interview.....he said..."I don't want to moan about the Ref,,,because I might get into trouble (already on a yellow card)".....then spent 7 minutes 54 seconds doing just that....okay might have been hard done by for some of that match....but he doesn't sound like a manager who can turn it around.....have we enough points to stay up....not at the moment.

18. notDistantGreen

There are quite a few out there saying that and worse. Others are slagging off invidual players, Tyrese Fornah being a case in point, who's taking a hammering on social media, but also citing a supposed general lack of desire and effort.

These are of course the same people who were idolising Lowe as being not only the best manager alive but also one of them, a bit of a lad.

It makes me sick.

Things are going against us at present and individual mistakes are being made too frequently. We have a lot of young players: I think I'm right in saying only Joe Edwards and Danny Mayor are on the wrong side of 25. Tearing shreds off them on social media isn't going to help them or the team.

We're without George Cooper and Lewis Macleod who might otherwise be very influential.

Our permanent recruitment has been good at least. In fact I'm flabbergasted we've managed to sign someone of the quality of Niall Ennis. Why on earth did the other clubs he's been loaned to not see his potential? Some of our loan signings may not have been so successful, and I don't mean Fornah, who I think does OK, but that can be corrected if we can hang on in this league. Next year, we hope finances will be a bit more certain.

Anyone who's ever seen Ryan Lowe at a game knows he genuinely thrives on the passion of the crowd. I think sometimes in a cynical game the influemce of the fans is over rated. Not in his case. And if as a player you've just spent 5 hours on a coach to go and play on a cold and dark winter Tuesday, if you aren't stirred to step out onto the pitch and find 1,000 of the Green Army got there before you, then you shouldn't be playing the game. Perhaps we've lost more than most teams in that regard.

I may be in a minority of one again but we are so close to being a great side. When things are going right, we can play breathtaking stuff.

We need to cross our fingers and stay Green.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

notDistant I am of the belief that Ryan Lowe can only play gung-ho football....which came off in Div2....but you need more discipline in Div1 and Lowe can't supply that.....he can only see his style attacking and scoring goals....has he not noticed that we're not scoring enough goals to cover our lack of defending ability.

20. notDistantGreen

He has to deal with the players he has. Most of the bad goals we've conceded come from individual errors. Look at the first goal conceded last night. Who's got Jerome?

At one point he's marked. Is it Fornah with Aimson screening in front? Then Fornah, if it's him, steps forward as if to change places with Aimson. He can't do that with the ball very much in play with the other side, he has to stay there and at least get in the way. As it is, Jerome gets a free header from 6 yards.

Defending freekicks and corners must be scripted by the manager but that can't happen in open play: players gave to use their own judgement.

Up to the goal, we were doing OK but with confidence low, we went to bits, it's that individual error that lost it.