1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus MK Dons

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 27, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well folks this is it. Last one and final chance to get into play offs for the season. Being televised on Sky.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

On Sky you say...means no Argyle TV for me..

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Checked last years League result.....we beat MK Dons 1-0......I'll take that.....they ended up mid-table.

I was surprised to notice that Wigan avoided relegation to Div2 by only one point last season.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm hoping Argyle can make the play-offs.....BUT the team that can pip them is their bogey team Wycombe Wanderers.....it would be the final straw if that happens.

With MK Dons still hoping for automatic promotion they will obviously be playing their strongest team.....they have the second best away record in the division.

We do have a good home record.....but we have major players doubtful......behind the settee job for us exiles tomorrow.....although some will be watching it on Sky.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Gillesphey, Sessegnon, Broom, Houghton, Mayor, Law, Garrick, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Edwards, Hardie, Ennis, Randell, Crichlow, Craske.

Edwards and Hardie not fit enough to start....no Grant.or Camara in the squad....what a time to be struggling to put a strong team out......hard to see where the goals are coming from against strong opposition....if we come through this with a result it will be a miracle.....tough afternoon......are Wycombe going to have the last laugh for the third time this season ?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-3...MK Dons.

GAME...SET...and MATCH.

Plus Red card....Houghton.

Even if we make a comeback other sides are doing the business.....really disappointing end to the season.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-5...F/T

Thrashed.....Houghton didn't help.

Probably best we didn't get in the play-offs with missing players......7th is better than most.

8. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Hard luck fellas. Think we may be playing you next season though as franchise and their team of loanees seem to be our bogey team this year

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

They tore us apart<doh>

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The first thing I have to say is that, on today’s showing, MK Dons are the best side I’ve seen Argyle play in the league this season.

They hit the bar from a superbly taken free kick early on but we could have been 2-0 up after 15 minutes when well made chances didn’t get the final tap in they deserved.

We were finding it had to contain them and conceded another free kick in a dangerous position, albeit a bit more central which I hoped would make it harder to beat Cooper, it didn’t: exquisitely hit, it just flew in.

Late in the half, they got a second and then Houghton gave the ball away 35 yards out and brought his opponent down, albeit that the guy made the most of it. The ref had hardly put his card back in his pocket from having booked Houghton for a similar offence. Given it wasn’t a violent challenge, that there was simulation to make it look worse and there were only a couple of minutes to half time and a cooling down period, most refs would have issued a stern final warning but this guy went for the red and it was game over.

He was generally awful: he didn’t give us a lot and when he did, we had the advantage and he should have played on.

We ended up playing 4:3:2 and the rest you know.

Being pipped by Wycombe adds insult to injury but in truth we didn’t lose it today against an excellent side, we lost it over the past month or so when we failed to take 3 points from much more winnable games.

The Dons fans chanted “we’re going to Wembley” and the Devonport End replied with “we’re going to Forest Green”. At one point in the second half, the chant was “stand up if you love the Greens” and for once, in a show of solidarity when all was lost, the whole ground did. Some left early but the majority did the right thing and stayed to clap the squad on a “Lap of Appreciation”.

Close but no cigar. On to next season.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Summed up good notDistant and we threw so many games away this season, perhaps a couple understandable but not 7/8 or so.....disappointed tbh....

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video lowlights....no showing of Argyle even being in their half......I was nearly tempted to buy a Sky day pass.....luckily i didn't waste my nearly £12.....that would have been unbearable to watch or even turn off.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not a lot to say as notdistant has summed up MK Dons. They are the best side bar none I've seen down here this season. The Referee was a disgrace and for once the crowd chants at him were spot on. He gave almost everything to them and very little to us. He booked our players and ignored a card for them for exactly the same offence. An MK player fouled one of ours in an identical incident to Houghton's second booking yet got nothing and it was only minutes before the card. Their players surrounded the Ref and bayed for a card and he caved in when it looked for all it was worth he wasn't going to book anyone. Shocking and the Lyndhurst lino was just as bad. He missed a shed load of off sides.

I am not disappointed with the season but am a little disappointed with the final game effort. MOM if we had one was Broom who never stopped trying right to the end.

14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Unlucky lads. I'm sure you'll look back on this as a good season.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It truly wasn't unlucky Arnhem Bridge, they did play us off the park today. Don't think anyone is that green tinted to believe they didn't deserve their victory. Thanks for the sentiments anyway.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mentioned elsewhere that Argyle got only 6pts out of a possible 36pts....from the six teams that finished above us....that tells us we weren't good enough for the play-offs.

17. notDistantGreen

It’s narrow margins Plym. We lost to 3-0 to Rotherham on the opening day as I remember and yet we were the better side and could easily have scored 4. How we lost that I do not know.

Yesterday, Jephcott could have had 2 in the first 15 minutes. Some, who like me have never played for much more than pub teams, are loftily saying he should have scored when both came at him fast and low with only milliseconds to get it right. They deserved to win but if we’d got even one of those, we wouldn’t have been so stretched as we desperately tried to at least improve the goal difference even if the points were out of reach.

It’s a bad way to end the season which has been a vast improvement.

I think the improvement will continue as long the thuggish response to Jane Hallett’s comment, since retracted, that she couldn’t understand fans leaving after the 4th goal doesn’t so piss Simon Hallett off that he chucks the whole thing in.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hey notDistant....we weren't that bad on the opening day...it was only 2-0.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yes perhaps Jephcott should have scored one goal but were coming at pace as mentioned....
    Hope we can sign Broom permanently but the likes of Camara, Cooper and possibly Hardy might get snapped by bigger clubs. Players like Law and Randell are our future gems. At least the club can now plan ahead early for next season. We have them up the road to look forward too also...COYG.

20. notDistantGreen

Well in most cases the club seems to have got players on contacts of 2 years with an 12 month extension at the club's option and there's not much more you can do these days.

Camara has been tweeting again this thanking the fans for their support:

@PanutcheCamara
    ·
    18h

a thank you is not enough to thank the green army you were immense all season I am very grateful for your support to us! I'm very proud of my team and the season you did didn't end in the best way but it's part of a lesson to learn in the future! I'm really sorry #greenarmy

and he was last around the Lap of Appreciation yesterday, brandishing a Guinea-Bissau flag somebody gave him and stopping at every child that wanted a picture taken. He doesn't look like a player who wants to leave but I'm sure he has an agent with his fingers in the trough............

Peterborough have been relegated to League 1 and I don't know how that will affect Broom... will they let him go to cut the wage bill or will they sell someone on Championship wages and want him back to play for them in League 1 as a cheaper but proven League 1 player?