1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Morecambe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 3, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here we go for a happy reunion with an old friend. Good O'l Derek has come back to town again but is it to haunt us this time. I read the question on tother site as to the reception he might get. From my point of view I couldn't really care how often he comes back and who he is managing now if honest. He is just another ex employee who left and I have no feeling for him one way or another. I won't be booing or shouting abuse anyway.

On to the game. We have another card happy Ref for this one. There seems to be a lot of them about this season so lets just hope he keeps his cards in his pocket unless he really needs one and doesn't spoil the game. This is one of those games that we should win given league positions etc but you never know do you. I think we will and it will start another little run of successes.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I have them down for a win and using my joker...
    Wish i was there Mr S.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's the way to do it Mr B..............

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Beautiful day for football. Dry, sunny and hardly any wind.

5. notDistantGreen

I take back the hardly any wind bit now I've been outdoors. Northerly 12-15 mph according to the BBC.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Grant, Gillesphey, Bolton, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Broom, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Ennis, Garrick, Sessegnon, Randell, Camara, Crichlow.

Camara on the bench...is he being rested or is he carrying an injury ?

We do seem to be regularly swapping our two strikers each game....problem there is... out of the other nine on the pitch only one subbing left ?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Grant...14mins.

Oh dear goal on 14 MINUTES....notDistant your in deep trouble with sensible....you could get a points deduction.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...Hardie...43mins.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...F/T.

11. notDistantGreen

If this was a boxing match. ... out with the cliche... it would have stopped before half time.

The gulf in class was immense and the game was as one sided as a Russian state TV bulletin.

I don't know why Camara didn't play but Broom played like a man who wanted his place in the team. He made a few mistakes (as does Camara) but in Derek Adams' honour another cliche, ran his socks off to get the ball back. My Man of the Match, hotly pursued by Danny Mayor, who at times had 3 on him but still retained the ball.

We could and should have scored more but could have conceded too. Michael Cooper had to make two excellent saves. Make no mistake though, it would have been a travesty if we hadn't got the 3 points at a sunny and happy Home Park.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

From most of the stats you wouldn't know how the game panned out.....same amount of shots....same amount on target.....we had more corners....and they committed more fouls.

I expect the biggest clue of how it went was that we had two thirds of possession....but that can be misleading at times.

In the past this game could have been a big banana skin....and we would have lost our way.

Tuesday we have a similar game....Wimbledon....who only lost 1-0 at Wigan today....just need to grind it out for another win....the two games in hand are 6pts that would keep us in the play-off race.

13. notDistantGreen

Well you have to admit that they did have chances: most hopeless, a few threatening. If you have chances, you may score.

But the quality of our play was far better than theirs and the possession more controlled and purposeful. We deserved the win. But then, we deserved a win against Rotherham too...

However you analyse it, I was happy with the way we played today and I believe we deserved the 3 points by quite a margin.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The result in the end came too easily and Argyle were slack at times and could have conceded more than one at almost any time. As said above it would have been a travesty if we had lost this or even drawn. They did have chances make no mistake and Cooper stood up well to all of them. He was my MOM because he kept us both in the lead and not sweating on the final whistle. The match overall was boring. We looked by far the better side but we did not exactly shine either. The game got stagnated and the amount of keep ball we played, hence the stat, was a large part in that. We went backwards so often it was almost like the Italian Army. However, the result was what mattered and we got 3 points which seldom looked in doubt. Regarding the second goal. I am not convinced at all that Hardie touched the ball at all. If he did then it was a hair and no more. Where I sit is right in line with the action that took place and the ball never looked to have moved off it's trajectory at all. I am recording Quest and will see if that throws up anything different when I've watched it again a hundred times.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video.....literally impossible to tell if Hardie touched it.....his reaction seemed to give that impression.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He's a striker plym of course he reacts. Don't they all even if they are on the touchline getting their leg put back on at the time. I wasn't convinced at the time and doubt I'm going to be convinced when I've watched it a thousand times.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

One thing I missed out in my first post. Their No.11 was a complete dick from the whistle. He did nothing but niggle away at our players. especially Houghton. He nudged him, elbowed him when running past, tapped the back of the leg and so on. He did the same to Mayor and on one occasion took Mayor out completely. I am convinced he was told to do it and I commented at the time he was playing to the letter of his instructions. The Ref spoke to him but didn't book him which would have been perfectly justified. About 10 minutes later Mayor went in on him with a tackle I have not seen Mayor make before. To say it was a throw back to the old days is putting it mildly . Mayor really meant it and got up looking like the cat with the cream chuffed he had put it in. The Ref didn't even give the player a free kick. I think he thought that the boy had deserved his kicking as he had dished it out. The chant for Mayor went up from the Devonport End who obviously noted the "committed tackle". A little while later the No.11 got booked. He stopped kicking people though.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams reckons his team had better chances of scoring than Argyle.....funny I would of thought that two 'chances' that end in the back of the net for Argyle would have been more conclusive an argument.

19. notDistantGreen

That's our Derek isn't it? He knows his side were comprehensively outplayed and to be honest, I don't think we got out of third gear in the second half. There's another game on Tuesday and at 2-0 up, you're cruising aren't you?

Yes, they forced Cooper into 2 good saves but as I remember it, they came from mistakes by us rather than great play from them. Scarr can't come back soon enough for me and I was glad to read that Galloway is expected to start pre-season on Day 1.

Hardie had another great effort in the second half too: a shot taken on the swivel at hip height that the keeper wouldn't have got near if it had been a foot lower. Definite goal of the season missed there.

Sensible says it was a boring win and so are others. We'll take those though and I prefer to see it as an easy win.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I did think it was on the boring side notdistant but as said we will take them when offered. Adams is also right in the fact that they did have more than one chance and if they were a decent side could have scored a few. Wasn't counting but they might have had more chances but nobody on the end of it. Hence not an attempt on goal as a stat. I have watched the second goal a couple of times now and would concede that he maybe got a slight touch. I watched Quest and the angle they showed it at did make it look like the ball moved a bit. On the day I was convinced he missed it.