1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Newport

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 20, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Game over...............3 points and that's all that matters.

3. notDistantGreen

It just goes on... 6 straight away wins, 4 points clear at the top.

I learnt late last week that Sheridan finalised last year's retained list only a few days before he left. Maybe others knew.. Imagine what Adams might have achieved if he'd come in with a free hand.

Good result, could have been 4 near the end.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only 4pts in front.....was 6pts for awhile.....blame Carlisle for that.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The all important points difference is with 4th and that's 9 points. 3rd is good enough even if we would like it to be better. I'd take that right now.

What to say. I listened to a lot of this thanks to her indoors who insists on putting it on the radio and turning the volume up. I can't avoid it unless I go outside. Newport gave us a good game of it despite the score at the end and their current league position. The commentator on Radio devon called both Newport scoring and who would do the deed about 5 minutes before it happened. Bittner came on against his old club who he formerly only played once for I think. Two penalties. Yes two which after last season seems unreal. Best bit Westley going into meltdown on the touch line which would have been worth the entrance money alone. Job done, good result and the story goes on.

6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

3 points and move on. Ropey pitch by all accounts and Newport apparently played pretty well (everything is relevant), Think only us and carlisle won out of the top 6 which can only be good.

As stated, the only stat that matters is the 9 point gap between us and 4th.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You mean you didn't go this time? Bleddy plastics are all the same.......fair weather the lot of them.<whistle>

8. notDistantGreen

Second week in a row that we've been granted a mini-headline in the Sunday Times "Other Leagues" column.

Also we got a very positive mention on the nationwide BBC Final Score show just before the switch-over to Strictly Come Bake-Off Factor, or whatever comes next.

9. notDistantGreen

For the record... I think you can see why the keeper got the red: no attempt to play the ball and therefore an attempted cynical professional foul as well as a penalty.

Look at Jervis tackling back: perhaps getting the hook against Portsmouth woke him up.

PS Love that white kit

10. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did Parkin realize that McCormick was a tad too far off his line....I know it is a thing of mine about McCormick going walk-about....experienced striker using his savvy.....or was it just a lucky strike.....and did the ball touch the ground between Bittner and the back of our net ?

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched the goals and both pens were in my opinion correct. The Red was obviously going to happen and the keeper can't really complain. As for their goal I think Parkin kicked it in the general direction of the goal and got lucky. He could try that again 100 times and miss them all.

12. notDistantGreen

Parkin just hoofed it in the general direction - I don't think McCormick's position was unusual given the ball was way out there and with pressure on it too.

He'll probably be disappointed he didn't move his feet more quickly but there you go. Adams did describe it as a "bad mistake and Luke knows it".

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's one of those hit from nowhere and hope something happens type attempts. He controlled it well, turned and kicked it. Decent play and if it was one of our's that did it we would be chuffed to bits so fair play to him. Luke should be aware all of the time no matter where the ball is and who has it. He should expect the unexpected and he should have saved it comfortably. He saw it too late because he wasn't concentrating. I hear the goal is up for the goal of the week or something. Don't think it was that good but they sort of look good on the tele. In fairness he did mean to do it.