1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Oldham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 24, 2018.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Interesting match stat:

Argyle: Fouls 7, Bookings 5
    Oldham Fouls 10, Bookings 1

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2-1 win.

3. notDistantGreen

Phew, 3 points, up to 13th although others have games in hand.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Don't look down.....you could hurt yourself if you fell from that dizzy height.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was just looking at the match stats stuff on the beeb notdistant and noticed the foul/booking tally. They had 14 fouls in the end with 2 booked. We had 8 with 5 booked. Makes you wonder doesn't it. Perhaps we are just better at fouling than they are.

Great result though and keeps us in the mix. We did need this result with the fixture list we have to come in the near future.

6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just back following a swift drive down from a damp and cold Oldham. The journey flew by thanks to 2 x commentaries on the radio and of course another hard won three points in the bag. It was a pretty average pitch and things were not helped by a strong breeze swirling round the stadium. Oldham started okay for 5 minutes and then fell apart for the next 20. A great finish by Sarc for our first, then some absolutely shocking defending allowing Ruben to tap in for our second. Oldham were in disarray and it looked like we might get a hat full. They made a tactical substitution half way through the first half that was (for reasons unknown) met by boos from all around the stadium, but it worked, and Oldham played some decent stuff- they certainly didn't look like relegation fodder. However the damage was already done and a couple of outstanding saves by Remi made sure the points were safe despite Yann unluckily scoring an own goal off the back of his heel. Oldham had a lot of the ball but were mainly restricted to long range efforts. Once again we defended brilliantly. The ref was very card happy-Remi was booked for stopping them from taking a throw in which was fair enough. Sarc was being baited by their players, perhaps because of his Manchester roots, but he was unlucky to be booked and the other three yellows were fairly tame too- by no means a dirty game. Good to see the Players acknowledge Ry Edwards who was there again with his Dad. Everyone gave everything but Tayls and sarc were the standout players and they can share my MOTM. 8 points clear now and reasons to be optimistic - even Plym!.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't expect plym to be happy about anything to be honest. He's naturally a miserable git and what's more he's very good at it.

Thanks for write up. Watched the scores only today and knew we were safe when Torquay weren't winning. That's the old adage that all 3 Devon sides cannot win on the same day.

8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Nice to see Argyle held on in the end. Was reading bbc text commentary and we were getting battered and thought this is it when they had a corner in dying seconds. Phew!

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not fair...I'm an happy little bunny when Argyle win....just worn down by how many points we've given away at the end of matches.

Nazon made a difference when he came on....but great that he didn't get on the score sheet.

You got your skates on Lyndy to be indoors by 2230 hours.....hope no cameras latched on to you.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

No hold ups and I was actually back by 1000 so bang on 4 hours from when I got on the M6. Hopefully wont get any letters through the post in the next few days!

11. notDistantGreen

Coming after the Wigan defeat, I think this is an important win. Although by all accounts we played well against Wigan, 2 defeats in a row might have sown seeds of doubt. As it is, another battling away win in front of the travelling support should have had a positive effect. Two tough games coming up but hopefully we can get something from them.