1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Oldham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 5, 2019.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This should be an easy win shouldn't it? Everything points to that which makes me think banana skin straight away. On form and home advantage it all points to a win for Argyle. But, we all know things in life are never quite that simple. Can we win this? Certainly. Will we win this? We should. Is it that cut and dried? Never in a month of Sundays.

I think we won't slip up this week. Oldham have yet to set any game alight and I think they probably won't all season. We can do this.

COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yeh that's my point notdistant. It all seems a bit too easy doesn't it. This is Argyle and the football gods will never allow that for sure.

4. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I will be setting my alarm for the morning kick off.
    I did buy an Argyle shirt so will be wearing that. drinking coffee out of my Argyle Mug.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have an Argyle mug. It says on the side "Not to be confused with a Cup". My kids bought it for me. Very droll.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Palmer, Wootton, Canavan, Josh Grant, Edwards, Riley, Baxter, Mayor, McFadzean, Byron Moore, Taylor.

Subs.
    Michael Cooper, Sawyer, Aimson, Conor Grant, Randell, George Cooper, Rudden.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...Branger...27 mins
    1-1...Wootton...31 mins.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...H/T.

9. notDistantGreen

Not a good half for PAFC but better at the end than the beginning, so all to play for in the 2nd half. Two penalty shouts, the second a very strong one as Moore's goal attempt seems to hit an Oldham hand.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...Byron Moore...74 mins.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...Wheater...77 mins.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...F/T....not good.

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Defence needs sorting I believe..

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No hp it doesn't particularly. One word for today and that's CARELESS. Gave the ball away in the first half far too easily and on occasions in poor places. But, we still should have won this.

Referee was a novice and it showed once again. Red should have been issued at least once but he bottled it. Bookings for next to nothing on other occasions. Definate penalty and if the one we gave away last week was a pen then this one had to be. Thought the new rule applied but obviously not for this Ref. Possible one other but that could be debated. Their first looked a shade offside. I sit opposite the 18 yard line and it was at least a shout. Lino on the Lyndhurst at least a couple of yards off the pace as usual.

But, Argyle brought about their own problems by gifting the ball to then far too often in the first half. Not the defence to blame but the whole team. Second was better but every ball that bounced off something went to an Oldham player. I am beginning to think we are jinxed. We appear to get nothing of the rub at all. We should have scored more than them and it was poor finishing that let that one down. Oldham despite their supposed lowly position were not a bad side and they were quite worthy of their point. I did fear that things were going to go well and truely tits up for part of the game and they would have 3. In my first post I said this couldn't possibly be that easy and it proved to be spot on.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Defence.....9 goals leaked in last three games....two of those at home.....sounds very much like the problem.

I would have thought Aimson would have got at least 45 minutes yesterday....he won't get match fit sitting on the bench.

Canavan and Wootton are not quick enough....would generally go for Canavan....but of course Wootton muddied the water by scoring yesterday.

Oldham's league record this season suggests that we dropped two points.....yet it's suggested that for periods they were the better team.

In the meanwhile Exeter sail away over the horizon top of the league with 17 pts against our 11 pts.

16. notDistantGreen

Both the Herald and Argyle Life mark Wootton and Riley poorly. I think I'm right in saying a high proportion of the goals we've conceded so far have come from headers. I appreciate Lowe wants to play an attacking style even if that means conceding a few and the majority support that, including me, Getting caught on the break because you are pushing up is one thing but giving away silly headed goals from set pieces isn't what Lowe has in mind.

Equally, Lowe needs his CB's to be able to pass the ball. Canavan's the best passer of the ball amongst the Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer trio and got decent ratings yesterday along with Josh Grant. So for me, it should be Grant, Canavan and Aimson as soon as the latter is fully fit,

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The only defender with any sort of criticism yesterday for me was Wootton. He always has a mistake in him and indeed was the same last season. But, does that mean the whole defence wants shooting? Lets put this another way. We didn't score more than them. Does that mean the attack was also poor and therefore should join them in front of the firing squad? Then there is the midfield. They didn't help the defence out with the two goals and have been there supposedly for the whole of the 9 goals plym points out. Shall we shoot them as well?

When you play the way we are then there is always going to be chances for the opposition. They press us high enough up the pitch and we carry on trying to pass it out of defence. This is not a top end premiership side this is a league two side. They are going to get caught sometimes. As for the Oldham were the better team thing well that's just bollox. They were not a bad team throughout but to say they were better than us is just wrong. We should have won this but did not score more than them. Don't forget also that this is Lowe in league two where he was last season. Do you think the other managers have forgotten his tactics in a short space of time because he has moved? Course not and this is where Argyle are going to have to improve their passing ability and play through teams who will be set up to press and then build a wall.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Only two sides in Div2 have scored more goals.....and ten sides have given away more goals than Argyle....so that suggests our attack is better than our defence.
    We're making more chances than most clubs....just need to convert more of them.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Stats in football prove nothing at all. You can be just plain unlucky at times and with scoring goals just plain lucky. Here is another one for you. If the wing backs could actually cross a ball we would win most games by at least five. We should shoot them as well.