1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Oxford

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 28, 2020.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Will it be on or won't it is probably the biggest question given all the postponements there are. It will be and we will win it.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Never been so many jokers on one game.....we need a banana skin clearing workforce before kick-off time please.....can our defence play three good games in a row....we'll find out tonight.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So many games being called off with ease lately......seems like double standards here......we had to play at Lincoln when Covid results came through mid-afternoon and we had to re-arrange our defence..... and send players home who had traveled separately because of Covid tests pending.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

At least we can be proud of our club: no games called off due to problems at our end. The only cases in our squad were due to indirect outside contacts.

Long may it continue but is a dangerous, invisible foe.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Aimson, Canavan, Edwards,Grant, MacLeod, Camara, Mayor, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    McCormick, Wootton, Nouble, Telford, Reeves, Moore, Fornah.

Same team and same subs as the Charlton game.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Your figure per 100,000 is good.....here in Bromley Borough it has dropped from 858 to 801 per 100,000.....so clubs in the London area are living on a knife edge.

I can see the possibility of Football closing down for a month or so....the Cabinet are discussing the situation at the moment.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Camara...12 minutes.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...Ruffels...37 minutes.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...H/T

10. notDistantGreen

Argyle dominate fir 35 mins and then concede from a dead ball.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-3 F/T

12. notDistantGreen

Happy New Year to you all.

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am sick to death of watching Argyle's opposition whoever they may be on the day score exactly the same goal over and over again. Lowe you should be addressing this because it is costing us dearly. Oxford learned a trick and then repeated it over and over. They gave us no room or time to play the ball out from the back. Recognise that tactic anyone? We played for the first half an hour and then the last 10 minutes. Groundhog day once more.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Camara easily the MOTM.....just need a few more 90 minute players like him.....a lot of 30 minute players tonight.....substitutions a bit baffling.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Not the news I wanted this morning....shocking!

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Being a mid-week match I didn't watch this one....(phew sounds like a good choice).....Mrs Plym isn't a footie fan and me sitting at the computer all evening isn't a good idea.....I just check the BBC screen now and again.

So have been catching up on reactions this morning to the match......have we been this way before ?....it's becoming too regular a story.

We are bottom fodder for the form league......in our last 9 league games our record reads as follows...played 9...won 1...drawn 1...lost 7...goals for 8...goals against 22...points gained 4......we have played more home games than away (another one Saturday as well).....and our away results are appalling....not one win yet....so our prospects are starting to look bleak of avoiding a relegation battle...especially if we start losing at home.....that to me looks like the facts....definately a half empty glass type of person that's me.

Looking at all the info on the match last night...there didn't seem many fans feeling that what happened last night was acceptable....it was summed up by a comment by one poster who said that Ryan Lowe got involved with one fan after the game....and this fan seemed to be telling Lowe what he thought about the game.....and he didn't seem too happy about things.

Comments last night.

1.....That Camara was all over the pitch for 90 minutes...working his socks off....scores a great goal....and certainly didn't deserve to be on the losing side....and to Lowes credit was a great player to bring to Argyle.

2.....We lack a leader on the pitch....or leaders in general....no one seems to take command......Canavan shouts a bit...but is that enough.

3.....Too much sideway and backward passing...we get pressed and then we definately look iffy without having a decent out ball.

4.....When we kick long our forwards are beaten by Oxfords two central defenders....who remind us what two central defenders should be doing.

5.....Lowe doesn't seem able to adapt and change our style of play....once the opposition manager has sussed us out and adapted...we're in trouble.

6.....Can anyone really understand Lowes subbing tactics....seems to always take of the successful players.

7.....We don'r really have any game changers on the bench.....so subbing quite often weakens the team.

8.....Lowes post-match comments where thought by some as not the reality of what actually happened.

9.....During pre-season recruitment most of us felt that Lowe had done a good job on selecting his squad...but in the cold light of day do we think that now ?

Just a few thoughts from the Green Army fanbase.....do you agree or see things differently.....please discuss.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video....what on earth was Aimson doing tackling in such a position....the ball was literally going out of play.

18. notDistantGreen

I'm not going to go through all the points but I'll pick up on a few.
    1. Ryan Lowe has a philosophy of playing through the thirds and pushing the wing backs and midfielders up to overload the opposition. If we do that properly, we need quick nimble strikers, not ones who dominate in the air. If they are having to fight aerial duels, we aren't doing it right. He isn't suddenly going to for a flat back 4, and 6ft 7 centre forward and not wearing out the grass in between. Plan B is doing Plan A better. It's take it or leave it and at the moment, although I'm concerned, I'll take it. The key position in that is the deep lying midfielder who needs both to screen the defence and to receive the ball when it's played out, turn under pressure and play it on. Maybe we're lacking there as well as in the defence itself, which I think we all acknowledge.
    2. Because the season started late, we're playing a lot of games in a shortened period of time. For us, the long distance travelling exacerbates the problem. Every team from the EPL down is making lots of substitutions, Last night, he didn't make his first substitution until the 68th minute and that was to take off a wing back, who probably do more running than anyone else on the pitch. On the 85th minute, he took off the other wing back. In both cases, he replaced good all-round soldiers with more attack minded and pacy players in the hope of getting a point. He took off MacLeod who's recently come back from a knee injury and limped off on Saturday after Lowe thought he looked tired. He brought on Fornah, who's probably a bit more attack minded than MacLeod. The last one, Nouble for Hardie at 73 minutes is a bit more arguable but Hardie hasn't been playing to his full potential and when he's chasing a goal, Lowe does seem to like the strength of Nouble. Nevertheless, Hardie started and played for 80% of the game.
    Recent form is very worrying and with no income from fans, there isn't going to be a huge amount of cash to spend. We do have a few loans we can end early even if the term doesn't permit if the players concerned aren't going to be getting game time. If cost can be trimmed, it needs to be spent well.