1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Peterborough in the Cup

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 9, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a hope in hell........

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Peterborough had a 3-0 drubbing by Luton on Saturday....so they could play a strong eleven to try and get back on track.

We know that Broom won't be playing against his parent club.....and surely Ennis will not play either.....need him fit for Saturday's League game.

Suddenly our transfer market dealings seem to be quite spartan in mid-field and in attacking options.

Maybe Lowe will come up with a plan B option.....no, no I'm getting into fantasy land thinking there.....so maybe we are doomed Mr Mainwaring......and its still early August.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's more like it Plym. I thought even I would try a bit of reverse psychology. I do accept I'm only an amateur at it though.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Galloway, Edwards, Camara, Houghton, Grant, Mayor, Jephcott, Hardie.

Subs
    Burton, Gillesphey, Randell, Law, Craske, Tomlinson, Shirley.

No experimenting here... just Galloway for Gillesphey.......three youngsters in the squad....other than Law and Randell.....so no depth at all to this squad.

Peterborough make seven changes.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1.....Hardie...23rd minute.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-2.....Hardie...33rd minute

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I don't want to be s party pooper but why can't we do this in the league?

8. notDistantGreen

Just the 10 shots to their 4, 7 on target to their 1.

Hardie on fire.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-2...H/T

Peterborough made seven changes.....maybe they just want out of this competition.

Hardie involved goals and chances.....he must think it's Christmas.

So are Argyle playing well or Peterborough total crap.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-3.....Jephcott...66 minutes

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-4.....Camara,,,84 minutes

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is something in this reverse psychology stuff.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Peterborough...0-4...Argyle

What happened there.....we played a first team.....Peterborough made seven changes.......so were we that good or were they understrength and rubbish.

Rotherham lost at home to Accrington 1-2....???

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nah it's all just a dream cause "we're **** and we know we are" May I make a suggestion please. Just a smidgeon of praise this time perhaps? A teeny weeny bit of a one? I read some comments on pasoti after Saturday. Mayor does nothing, he laid on the first goal tonight. Jephcott can't control the ball and doesn't score. He laid one on and scored one. Hardie is weak and easily knocked off the ball. Scored two tonight. So with nobody to slag off after a 4 - 0 away win I guess it will be revert to Peterborough played the under 11 team who played Argyle off the park but were just unlucky.

More of a worry is that a couple more were substituted because of injury.

15. notDistantGreen

They are a Championship club. They picked their team. As a Peterborough fan said, their reserves should be able to beat a League One side. We've stuffed them royally. An Argyle who was there said it was 4 but could have been 8. It may be a flash in the pan but rejoice in the moment.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I couldn't agree more notdistant. I haven't ventured onto pasoti tonight yet and will look later but if it follows the norm some of them will be slagging somebody off because they always do which pee's me off royally as they are supposed to be supporters. Maybe being a dickhead comes with the membership for some.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Graet result no matter who they picked to play against us. Why will people be moaning. hell we scored 4 goals and could been more my mate said their keper was MOM ?? not sure on that but we are in the hat.

18. notDistantGreen

Ryan Lowe confirms Danny Mayor was taken off as a precaution having felt a tight quadricep.

19. notDistantGreen

I watched the full 90 minutes yesterday and so I'll update my personal reaction to the coverage
    ArgyleTV. This again wasn't ArgyleTV

There was a local commentary, commentator and summariser.
    There were replays.
    Much less bizarre camera work, a few hiccoughs but generally very acceptable given it's your only chance to watch.
    Half time was filled with a pre-recorded audio interview with Joe Edwards, Good improvement.
    Used my phone cast onto a TV rather than the laptop. Couldn't get a full full-screen picture and max resolution seemed to be 820P. Did not try the laptop next time as I said I would!

Peterborough

The commentator described them as "perhaps a bit too nice" and I think that was fair comment.
    Played through the thirds like us but gave us a lot of space and time in the first half, which they paid for dearly.
    Nothing much to say really, they were second best and they're probably as surprised by that as we were..

Us

We were ****ing brilliant, no other way to put it.
    The experts were of the opinion our wingbacks didn't push forward as quickly as against Rotherham and we looked much more robust. Even on the counter, Peterborough were quickly smothered in defenders. As a result, they made very few clear chances.
    This didn't stop us scoring 4 and having a bucketful of other chances. While they struggled to break us down, when we went forward we tended to open them up like a big green can-opener.
    Mayor seems to be playing more centrally and it works so much better. He's not hemmed in by the touchline and so can go left or right which makes him even more difficult to handle on the ball. He was releasing the ball much quicker and even had a threatening shot from distance. I'll go out on a limb and say that although he had fewer mazy dribbles, this was by far his most influential game.
    Camara was back to his zany best, winning the ball when he shouldn't be able to and then keeping it when you think he can't. Finished well for his goal.
    Jephcott, same as Mayor, best game for a long time. He seems to have stopped falling over at the slightest contact and lo and behold (or Lowe and behold), he's actually quite difficult to dispossess. When he does go down, the ref was more likely to believe him and give a free kick. Another "lucky" goal from about 6 feet when the ball mysteriously comes to him when the defenders are looking the other way. A true poacher's goal and long may it last.
    Hardie needs to play in disguise because he tormented the Peterborough throughout. Two good finishes, quicker than them, never stopped running and a real pain in the ***. If he goes on like that we'll be beating off transfer enquiries with a stick.

Mustn't get carried away. Perhaps Peterborough were complacent: they certainly had a better spell for 15 or 20 minutes after half time when they went to four at the back. But they couldn't break us down and we were content (and able) to pay it around at the back and let them run out of steam. Then we put the collective foot down again and scored two more in the final quarter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    sensiblegreeny and Plymborn like this.
  20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thank you notDistant for your observations.