1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Peterborough

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 22, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This one could be a bit trickie. Have to say I sort of fancied them for automatic promotion this season. But, never mind the feint heart. We must owe them a thrashing or two so lets get out there and win this one. (Blimey this pep talk business is tiring isn't it)

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can remember an occasion we owe them for....24/04/1975.....I drove all the way up there to find half of Devon had got there before me....or so it seemed.

We needed a win to become Div 3 (tier3) champions.....a bit of trouble caused by the green army that day unfortunately.

We lost 1-0 and Blackburn pipped us to the title the following Monday night by one point..

Looked it up on GoS to check my memory.....Furnell, Hore, Burrows, Saxton, Green, Delve, Randell, Johnson, Mariner, Rafferty, McAuly.....sub that day was Vassallo.....11,176 crowd of whom 5000 were greens, This was the old days when you got 2pts for a win and you can only remember it all in black and white anyway

Rafferty was voted player of the division by one of the big newspapers that year......I think I was driving an Austin 1100 in those days.....I was just a young lad of 36 ...with a ten year old daughter and a six year old son....I'll get emotional in a minute'

Yes a win will compensate me a little....nearly 46 years ago now.....<yikes>.

3. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Going to be a hard match for us(posh) but i think we have enough for least a draw :)

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Depends which of our teams turn up. On our day we're a joy to watch and we can beat anyone in this league. Then again sometimes we're not...... quite a few young players, 3 significant individuals not available.. including George Cooper who you know.

We were poor on Saturday - I think there'll be a bounce back tonight.

5. poshfan

Our front three are mustard on there day hope your back four have a day off

6. notDistantGreen

None of that back 4 stuff here. 3:5:2 at all times.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Being mid-week and a 7-30 kick-off.....(everyone else in Div One starting earlier tonight)...I shall not be watching it live because Mrs Plym will be wanting to sit down by then...which is fine by me....so I'll just check it on the BBC website.

If we win this one it will build up peoples expectations that we might get a play-off spot at the end of the season there are a lot of teams in this Division that have a heavier work load than us because of games in hand... that might not last the distance....so they might not get the points they expect.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Opoku, Aimson, Fornah, Grant, Moore, Camara, Mayor, Ennis, Jephcott.

Subs
    McCormick, Edwards, Hardie, Reeves, Lolos, Lewis, Woods.

Still no start for Edwards....and Hardie still on the bench.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T.....any ones game

10. notDistantGreen

I was pretty happy with the first half. We matched a good side who looked fair value for their league position. The two sides cancelled each other out but that's no bad thing for us as we haven't always looked that robust.

Then Kelland Watts leaves his brain in the half time dressing room and we're 0-1 down after 20 seconds of the second half. Theteafter we've fallen apart.

Nil - nil was a fair representation of the first 45 and we can't complain about the second.

For me, we need a refresh. We've made very little up front and I'd start Ennis and Hardie on Saturday. They've got the pace to make something for themselves if we can't play it through the thirds. Harshly, Jephcott needs chances made for him and he's in a goal drought at the moment.

I'd also have Joe Edwards in for Byron Moore. He protects the back three better and even though Moore's theoretically a forward, Edwards does better up front too.

We've been beaten by a better side and I'm not too depressed by the result in itself. However, we matched them in the first half and it's frustrating we can't keep it going for the full 90 minutes again.

11. poshfan

Thanks for the points lads and best of luck for the rest of the season

I found you was to slow and kept passing backwards to your keeper

which gave us time to press your back line

hope you get least 3 points sat against Lincoln :)

12. notDistantGreen

You looked good I thought, well deserving of being top of the table.

We can do better than that but I think you had a game plan to make it difficult for us and there's nothing wrong with that. Once you got the break through you were ruthless. Good luck, you look to me to deserve to go up automatically at least.

13. poshfan

We want to go up as champions after last year been cheated out of going up

best of luck to your lot as well

tho after sat we have lots of hard games against the top teams

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Blimey plym if I knew you were that hard up and could only afford one chair I'd gladly send you a donation.............

I did say that I fancied Peterborough for automatic and there tonight was the reason why. Can we have Dembele please. Agree with you notdistant it was a very even first half and the only chances they had we tried to present to them on a plate. I do so hate this knocking it about in our own last 22 as if we are Barca. Second half and they gave us a lesson in finishing. We could have scored several ourselves but just could not get on the end of anything. No complaints from me about the final result if the score was a tiny bit flattering. I still think Barry Fry is a wide boy and muppet and Darren Ferguson is a whiny git but fair play to them today. Onwards and upwards and let this put a stop to stupid play off talk.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video highlights.....we just couldn't cope with their attacking ability in the second half and were undone literally straight from the kick-off....and it was hard to see how we would score....only one goal in the last three games...just not doing the business.....must do better on Saturday...or it could all happen again.

16. notDistantGreen

To be fair, the third was a worldie. Can't legislate for that and it would have gone in if they'd been playing Man City.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how to judge our 0-3 thumping last night.

Does it suggest that Peterborough are an excellent away team....that's how it looked last night....but is that truly so.

1.....BEFORE the game their away record was...14P...6W...2D...6L..and a 14 for and 15 against goal tally...20 pts....okay that means they give as much as they receive.

2.....But their true strength is their home form...14P...11W...2D...1L...32 for...10 against goal tally...35pts....(we lost 1-0 up there)

3.....I have only seen the highlights of the game last night....and of course the goals scored were the biggest portion of that video...so opinion can be that we were well and truly thrashed....and of course that was true of the second half....in the first half we held our own but failed to score.

4.....Argyle's defence looked vulnerable down there right flank...our left flank.....and it does seem that we do give a lot of goals away that side....Kell Watts has played well for us as a youngster.....and has not missed a game so far this season....teams seem to have worked out that playing long balls over and beyond him can cause him problems....is that his weakness or does it show that cover behind him at times is lacking ?

5.....What we do know is that when Jephcott's goals dry up we are limited in being able to score....and also we do struggle when the opposition scores first....we have mostly a young defence that seems to have problems when that happens....and we need experienced older players to help them settle again....we did need and older central defender in the January window and that of course didn't happen....with Opoku picking up a knee injury... will we be finding out what Sam Woods has to offer....how did he play last night when he needed to come on ?....it didn't really show in the video.

18. notDistantGreen

In our last 6 home games before last night, we'd taken 11 points with only one defeat. In their last 6 aways, Peterborough took 8 points with 2 defeats. Predicting a home win wasn't unreasonable.

The first half was a stalemate. Both teams pressed the other and had the odd chance, often arising from defensive mistakes. We had more problems down our right than the left in the first half because Dembele is a damn good player.

The match turned on that first goal. We've pushed up too aggressively straight from the kick off when we didn't have pressure on the ball or our shape sorted out. Conor Grant goes chasing the ball and the long pass down that side has undone us. Then Watts gets stood up and Cooper and Aimson play "After You Claude" at the near post. It's just silly mistakes, one after the other. Thereafter, the more we have to chase it, the more space they get.

Let's not forget that Camara missed a sitter for 2-1 at 70 minutes which would have made the last 20 minutes a bit different. Equally, if we'd nicked one in the first half, which we could have done with a bit of luck, then we could have sat back a bit and tried to pick them off as they had to come forward. I've commented on the Jephcott v Hardie issue before: ironically against a good side like Peterborough we may be better off without Jephcott because we need strikers that can use their pace to make their own chances. Against the weaker sides when we can reasonably expect to play through midfield, get the ball to Jephcott in the box and he'll score at will.

Prior to last night, Lincoln had taken 16 points from their last six away games, scoring 12 and conceding just 2. The points they dropped were in a 0-0 draw at Hull. I'm saying nothing................

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Peterborough in the first half benefited from our defence losing the ball in the centre circle....and they broke forward with two players and between them should have scored...just a bit lucky...but a taste of what was to come.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No point in over thinking this. We made mistakes which let them in a couple of times. We missed a couple of decent chances. They are obviously a good side or else they would not be where they are in the table. The Ref bottled a booking that would have meant a Red a bit later on. We have played better. That's it basically. We lost one which doesn't suddenly make us bad. Move on to the next one and see where we go with that. It is another hard game but no reason to think we cannot win it.