1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Agree with you NDG, problem is the morons who keep hurling that un tastefull abuse dont realise what affect it also has on the families who were involved.. do they think they still want to heat that. Yes he committed a crime, served the sentence , also that has to live with him for ever.. Not all the pompey fans but the Pricks who continue with that utter abuse.. they should be removed from the ground and banned..

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Cup final.. Look at the league table.. that never lies.. :emoticon-0136-giggl

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Right calm down folks it's a wind up and nothing more. Pompeylampras is not a nasty person even if he is slightly deluded some of the time. (Don't tell anyone but he thinks American Football is a sport).

The first thing to say is the Pompey players, again, did do an aweful lot of moaning and groaning and were in the Ref's face most of the time. Their No.19 is worse than my Missus. I thought the Ref did well this time to resist both teams trying it on. He did set the precident at the start by booking one for diving. Have to say they got a penalty for a softer one last season that this one but the Ref got the card out instead. What he didn't do is carry that on and the players kept throwing themselves over. I can see where the Pompey players get it from because Cook did his fair share of running up and down the line shouting at officials. Two other criticisms from me. One was the idiots who came onto the pitch. It means years of being banned so why the feck do it. They can't get off the pitch without being caught nowadays so what is the point. The other was an injury to our Keeper and the chants by most in the Pompey end of "let him die". Sorry can't condone that one either.

As for the football well it was quite entertaining most of the time. Pompey are quite clearly a decent side who can play. It beggars belief why they get beat by much lowlyer sides or even draw so many. Maybe they thought this was their cup final and were more up for it. I don't think our goal was particularly against the run of play. It was sort of 50/50 at that stage and either could have scored. Good delivery and decent enough finish. About the only thing O'Songo did right all afternoon. Their equaliser was no less deserved and again good build up and decent finish. You could see it coming a mile away.

Second half was much the same as the first. Much moaning and some decent enough football most of the time. In my opinion their second was in so lets say that at the outset. The problem was that there was no way on this earth that lino could have seen that. He was at least 15 to 20 yards down the pitch. He ran to the corner flag and then just stood there. Eventually he waved his flag for a goal. Simply he guessed and there can be no other explanation. It would have been an injustice if they had not got it but that isn't the rules of the game and fairness never comes into it. The equaliser was not undeserved either. I think 2 - 2 was a good result for Argyle and would have been taken by Pompey before kick-off. In other words a reasonably fair one.

If, and it's a big ask, Portsmouth can take this game into the rest of them then they will go up. No good being good one week and average the next. Argyle have proved already they can hold on, come back or dominate. In other words difficult to beat by anyone and they won't face teams like this one every week. I've said it many times now, there is something about this side that says promotion this season. Not great, few real stars, but able to get points which win prizes.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Portsmouth's away form had been average this season.....so a draw would seem to be a good result for them at the League leaders.

So they played well and must of been a tad disappointed not to have won having scored near the end to take the lead for the first time.

It was mentioned on Radio Devon...... that why did it take Argyle going behind to stir some effort up.....why not when they where 1-0 up to kill the game off.....it nearly happened with Pompey doing a goal line clearance to defy Argyle breaking away to ram home their 1-0 goal advantage into being two up.

A draw in the end was more satisfying for Argyle having gone behind near the end........emphasising Argyle's never die spirit this season, which if we had had it last season would have seen us promoted without the play-offs.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate this one Plymborn, Portsmouth looked a useful side, especially the No 19, diver that he is, who was running past our back 4 at will. Pompey started both halves strongly and it was end to end stuff pretty much throughout with Argyle probably finishing the stronger after Connor Smith's equalizer.

I don't think either side were ever in a position to say they should have killed it off - although either could have killed it off at one time or another.

I do agree with Sensible about the linesman - I think it was in but he was awfully late flagging - the ref had signalled play-on and the players were getting back in position before the flag went up. I think he guessed it just like the guess most of the offsides because they aren't up with play.

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I hope we both get promoted. I'm sick of this damn league and I imagine you guys are too.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Given the size of comparable budgets you should have gone already Pompeylapras. We do have debt to cope with so are not quite that well off althugh we must be better off than most. We have knocked on the door moree than you and I do think it's the big club lets raise our game and shock them syndrome. If you play every game like you did here then promotion should be nailed on. Few sides would cope with it and to be fair we only just did in the end. League one is little better than league two to be fair. But, to get back to anywhere decent you have to go through both so it has to start somewhere. The football standard is better than it used to be but it isn't fantastic now. If I were a betting man I would bet both clubs will go up this time. Pompey though need to stop dropping silly points.

8. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Well since we've been in League 2 we've had a succession of bad choices for manager.

Whittingham - Completely a sentimental choice
    Awford - Just screamed Paul Hart all over again
    Barker - Warning signs at Bury ignored and chosen probably for the 'buy-one-get-one-free' deal with Steve Coppell.

Cook is our first manager with real experience and has had some success before joining us. We also had a lot of debt for a while, but that's been cleared off now. But yes, teams raising their game against us does seem to happen a lot. It's bloody annoying.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights:

Unfortunately you can't do slo-mo but looks even more certain that Pomey's second goal was valid. It does appear though that the lino doesn't raise his flag until Portsmouth appeal, which is not how it's supposed to be done.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was in the City Centre today and there was a young lad in there in an Argyle shirt. My Mrs being somebody who talks to anyone commented to him as we walked past that it was nice to see a Youngster in a local football shirt instead of a premier one. Turned out he was from Glasgow and was there with his grandad who is the father of our full back Miller. Lad was his son. We chatted for a while and he was telling me his son loves it down here and we should do what we can to keep Adams who knows how to construct a competetive side. They came down in time to be at the match on Saturday and the conversation got around to "that goal". I said I thought it was in then mentioned the lino and his bizaar behaviour with it. He was in full agreement that the lino should have gone to the halfway line immediately if he thought it was a goal and signalled it. You do not go 20 yards the other way, stand there for a minute and then wave your flag, He was glad somebody else spotted it as he thought he must have seen it wrong.