1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 23, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There cannot possibly be anything that can go wrong this weekend. I am going to ignore all previous data in favour of me just remembering things how I would want them to be. This game is part of our usual 6 point haul over a season.................

They can dive, throw themselves to the ground in heaps but it won't make any difference. There is not a chance in hell that the Dockyard Port will get anything out of this game.

Right, that's set the tone so it's over to the team to deliver. Simples.

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They won't be laughing at 6 bells on Saturday young man. You know we are your bogey side and you can't possibly win this. (I reckon if I keep telling myself this it will be an internet fact)

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Looking forward to a shorter journey than normal - our 2nd closest fixture. Mrs Lyndy and son in tow and in the Milton end for a change. Think it will be another typical away performance with the points coming back to Devon. 0-2.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm saying nothing but you may like to look at this league table based on the last 6 games. It's a long list.. Persevere for the full picture.

upload_2017-11-24_13-49-51.png

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Very good notDistant.....now if you could break that down in to home and away results....:headbang:.....it would show Pompey are better at home unfortunately.

7. notDistantGreen

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I therefore rest my case give the undeniable evidence provided above by notdistant. You cannot argue with the facts..........

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bugger one down..............

10. notDistantGreen

Only just picked up the radio commentary; doesn't seem to be too good so far. Mistake from Matthews for the goal, failing to clear a through ball just outside the penalty box.

There's more than distance that makes this a "derby" of course but this will cheer you up a bit though, from Twitter.

please log in to view this image

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nope. Still not smiling. We are back at the bottom. Double bugger

12. notDistantGreen

Wait until you see the goal then......

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Treble bugger...............

14. notDistantGreen

Quadruple: Kennedy on....

15. notDistantGreen

...and has a shot in under 60 seconds.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It;s beginning to look like a curse with keepers for us. Sounds like Matthews has been injured now and according to the radio is trying to run it off. All we've got left is the U12 keeper so for christ sake football God give us a break here.

17. notDistantGreen

Back to the bottom. Wimbledon in 20th 3 points and 7 goals to the good.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just got in (5pm)...so we lost 1-0....disappointing....only one shot on target...<doh>.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Had to go and give away such a stupid goal! Not needed in our current position.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been reading around the Argyle boards....and there is despondency around in bucket loads.

First thing I will say notDistant is, that that twitter mileage chart...Exeter and Torquay are far nearer Plymouth than Portsmouth and the mileage calculator I used also quotes Yeovil a mile nearer Plymouth...that's town centre to town centre not to their stadiums of course.

So we realized that the Pompey game would be difficult, having not lost to them in the last five meetings the law of averages could easily click in, and it did.
    The way we lost it 1-0 was rather galling....Remi Matthews has saved us regularly since coming on emergency loan.....in hindsight a good leathering up field was the best choice instead of trying to control the ball then passing it forward....so it didn't work this time and the ball rebounded off the Portsmouth player and agonizingly slowly ran the length of the penalty area into the corner of the net....slow motion agony.

More important might be the fact that Matthews might be injured and unavailable for the next match on Tuesday in the tin-pot trophy against Yeovil....if that is the case his emergency loan might then be over and he would go back to Norwich for treatment...loan over. With only youngster Childs being available and no back up at all, another goalkeeper would be needed on another emergency loan.
    Matthews does seem to have been carrying a knee injury for a few games now....maybe that's why he didn't just hoick the ball away.

Goal scoring does seem to be our number one problem...Jake Jervis soldiered on manfully yesterday without much support....one shot for the team on target all game is not good enough....why can't we get players up the park in support of Jervis...is it Derek Adams mind set that getting numbers behind the ball even when we're losing over riding any positive forward movement....if it doesn't change soon than there will be the possibility of relegation at the end of the season....I don't want to be going to Gillingham next May with the prospect of having to beat them to decide if they go down or us.

What else is worrying me is the fact we fielded quite a strong reserve team yesterday and only drew 0-0 with Saltash....it included Nathan Blissett, Ryan Taylor, Oscar Threlkeld and Jacub Sokolik and ziltch goals was the outcome.....where oh where will we find someone who can put the ball between those white posts regularly....I think we've proven that Blissett isn't going to be the man and that Taylor might be the best target man we have but he doesn't score that many goals either.....and if no one is up supporting him....end of story.

Not to many good comments about Antoni Sarcevic yesterday....they reckon he looks overweight and not interested.....why is he playing then.

Graham Carey was heavily marked by comments yesterday...two on to him most of the time by accounts....ok if that is the case why didn't that free up space for someone else to benefit from.....we have more questions than answers at the moment.....the biggest problem is will Matthews time be over at Argyle ?