1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 12, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Where do I start with the "what could possibly go wrong" with this one. It's their cup final so they are bound to be up for it.............

Think this is the big one for both clubs. It is most definately not a must win for either club but a win would be massive. A draw would not be the end of the world for either and even a loss would not end anything for the season. Form wise it is hard to fault either club so I don't think that is much of a consideration. Can we win it? I think we can and I don't think we fear anyone nowadays. Not being complacent and saying this is a walk over or anything stupid like that but we can win and it is going to be a hard fought affair. Probably.

Do we owe them anything? Well we always owe Pompey something even if it's for years ago. Just need to give them a hiding for something and you can perm anything from a host of stuff as the excuse. They owe us for the play off defeat in most recent years even if we did let them win the league given it is much more important to them than us. That was the only time we will let them mind so lets give them a thrashing and be done.

COYG

PGFWhite likes this.
  2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Hope we have great day and score a few goals to improve our goal difference. Wish I was there today!

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Let's hope there isn't any trouble. Extra seats have been opened in the Barn Park End and that didn"t go well last time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is always a couple of idiots at every match from both sides.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes....last match they were in the away dugout.....:grin:.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

There was a time in the not too distant past when I would look forward to this fixture with more than a bit of trepidation-especially at home. Not any more. The Players are up for it , the Club are up for it, and most importantly the supporters are up for it. Absolutely nothing to lose, it is a full house insofar as there are no more tickets for sale (!?) . Looking forward to the banter, the chaos ,the noise, and most of all (if it happens ) the 3 points. I have yet to see a full 90 minutes at home this season but will be doing my best for this one (unless anti-doping turn up-which is probably nailed on!).

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep know what you mean lyndie. Win lose or draw this is going to be a tense affair and nobody will be leaving early I would think. It's a hard one to call and I won't be putting my house on it.

8. notDistantGreen

Bright but misty here in Plymouth, an odd combination.

The weather forecast is for the sun to come out at 3pm and stay until 5pm. I'm going to take that as a good omen!

9. notDistantGreen

Unusually, there are abusive and threatening posts on Twitter this afternoon. Knuckle Draggers are out and about.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Taylor out....picked up an injury during training this week........Joel Grant in.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0 H/T.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

What is it with Final Score on the BBC....not any mention of the Plymouth v Portsmouth match at all......all the teams around them....but Argyle no chance.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0 F/T Phew.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talking through Div 1 results on BBC Final Score....not even the slightest mention of the dockyard derby in front of 14,000 plus.....reminds me of how BBC Radio One ignored that Cliff Richard existed by not playing his songs.....but all over the raid of his house with cameras zooming into his windows as police searched his property.....something wrong I reckon with how they report fairly.

15. notDistantGreen

A scruffy and nervous affair with hardly a clear attempt at goal from either side in the first half.

Argyle then hit the "Go" button at about 50 minutes and a 10 minute purple patch without quite making a scoring situation.

Pompey sprang to life in the last 10 and had a shot cleared off the line I think by Threlkeld and then hit the woodwork all in a 90 second spell.

Ryan Taylor was badly missed. Joel Grant is lively when the ball comes to feet but he isn't made for aerial warfare. Argyle couldn't change their game plan to accommodate that.

Argyle had the balance of play but Portsmouth will think they should have won it at the end. A draw was about right and keeps us in the play-offs.

We go again soon and hopefully Taylor will be back.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks notDistant....lets hope Ryan Taylor is match fit for the trip to Northampton.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Some big games coming up this week before Saturday.

Tues
    Bradford v Portsmouth
    Gillingham v Rotherham
    Shrewsbury v Charlton

Thurs
    Blackburn v Peterborough

It is possible that if games go right for us...we could have a stronger Play-off position.

PS.....and on Saturday there is Portsmouth v Charlton.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams post-match comments seemed very dismissive of Portsmouth's ability to cause us any lasting threat....and rated Joel Grant as MOTM....not so sure about that.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

MOM for me was Ness. I thought he had a terrific game. If not him then Fox who also had a very good one.

Filled with trepidation when I heard that Taylor wasn't playing. We missed him badly. Grant is not a target man and unfortunately we played as if we had one. This game had draw written all over it from the get go and sure enough that is exactly what we got. However, for me it was an entertaining 0 - 0 and I've seen far less entertaining scoring games. Not going to go into any great detail but I think a draw was the fairest result overall. Not only was that my opinion but was also the opinion of a number of Pompey fans I have had the pleasure to meet at the Hyde Park Social club after the game. I think both sets of supporters were relieved. We should have had a stone wall penalty which wasn't given and they should have had a stone wall penalty which also wasn't given. Nobody lay on the floor rolling around or tried to get anyone else set off or booked. Good game, right result.

20. notDistantGreen

Can't say I enjoyed it although that's not a complaint. In nearly every game I've seen this season, Argyle have produced a moment of beauty that took my breath away. There just wasn't space out there for that in a game in which both sides were desperate to stop the other playing.

My Mom would be Threlkeld. Up against the very dangerous Naismith but still got up to support the attack