1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 13, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This game will no doubt get a load of hype but lets face it there is no more at stake with it than any other game. It is apparently a sell out so the atmosphere should be good for a Tuesday night. The Ref is the same one we had for Fleetwood back in August according to Pasoti. I went back and took a look at comments for that one. I said he was rubbish which bodes well. They wasted a shed load of time or as it is known these days did a fair amount of game management. He ignored all of that and they just carried on regardless. He isn't shy at handing out cards either.

So, we are in form, they are in form and history sort of points to a draw. But, we aren't going to stop there are we. I'm predicting our good form to continue and saying we can win this one and press on.

COYG

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yes indeed hopefully win this one....they say a sellout but always in the end about 15K in attendance

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Portsmouth's recent away form isn't that brilliant: beat Crewe (24th) and Shrewsbury (18th), drew with AFC Wimbledon (20th) and Ipswich (9th) but lost to Oxford (4th) and Sunderland (5th).

How significant is away form and home form compared to all matches? I don't know but it does sugest they are beatable if we play like the top 6 team we have been nearly all season.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That is my drip when I see people doubt Argyle's ability to win matches. We ARE a good side and we CAN beat any side in this league on a good day. Lets be honest we would have taken a draw against Bolton on Saturday before the match. This team proved we are of little faith and have done that over and over this season. We can win this one on Tuesday there is no doubt but that is not to underestimate Portsmouth either. On their day they can beat pretty much anyone as well. Both teams are in form so it won't be easy for either.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I meant to mention this before. Does anyone on here watch the football programme on Quest on a Saturday night? It shows all of the action and goals in the EFL They showed of course the highlights of the Ipswich v Portsmouth match and an incident that happened part way through with the Portsmouth Manager. The ball went out of play for an Ipswich throw in and when the player picked up the ball and went to throw it in from the halfway line their Manager got in his way. He tried to make it look like it was accidental but to be honest I don't think any Jury would have acquitted him. The player pushed him out of the way and got booked for doing it. The Pompey Manager also got a...........yellow. Talk about taking gamesmanship to a new level. Even the people in the studio thought he was well out of order and commented that he knew exactly what he was doing.

6. notDistantGreen

I watch the Argyle stuff on the club website but I can't sit though an hour of 30 second clips of other games to see... 30 seconds of Argyle. I can't be doing with all that blokey banter either.. at least with Sky you get proper analysis (cough cough).

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I sit through league one goals. I record it so I don't have to sit through the rest and run it through. I still don't want Sky (cough cough).

8. notDistantGreen

You should think about the Argyle TV subscription next season. It's £45 for the year, for which you get 2 interviews before each game and 2 after (manager + a selected player), interviews with new signings plus other ad hoc stuff and the day after, you get highlights (basically same as you might get on Quest), extended highlights (10 minutes) and a full 90 minute match replay.

9. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Sessegnon, Gillesphey, Bolton, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Broom, Ennis, Garrick, Randell, Law, Crichlow,

Grant injured ?

Sessegnon's first start.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Hardie...65mins.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...F/T.

13. notDistantGreen

Before kick off, Argyle used their fancy new floodlights to produce a lightshow: pockets of incandescence bursting all over the pitch. That's how the game went too: a pulsating affair between two determined teams. It really could have gone either way.

Portsmouth though are big and strong, whereas we're cunning and quick. In the end, Portsmouth couldn't handle it. Half of their players pretty literally collapsed at the end, in physical and mental distress.

It wasn't pretty but it sure was exciting and in the end, the better side won.

If we keep playing like this we'll take some stopping.

When first Galloway and then Scarr dropped out injured, I didn't fancy either Gillesphy or Bolton. They both looked unsure and lacking in confidence. But they've both grown into it, so my Man of the Match is the Back 3. Indomitable tonight.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The stats show that Portsmouth didn't have one shot on target.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

WOW!!! That was worth going to and watching. Heart in mouth at times but boy did we play well. The Ref was absolutely pants. I did think at one point that he was bound to blow it for us but in the end he didn't. What he did though was bottle every big decision. I thought, and genuinely, we should have had one penalty if not two. Portsmouth were a bit of a disappointment if honest. They are not the cleanest of sides. They do dive a bit and roll around a bit. The atmosphere tonight was electric and the result in the end was absolutely the right one. MOM well you pick. It was all of them. I cannot pick one and I cannot fault any of them. The eruption when Hardie put the ball in was immense. Another clean sheet and another 3 points.

AWAY IN BC likes this.
  16. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Yet another goal right in front of you....

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The team that goes on giving BC. It was a cracking atmosphere. 15000+ and the right result. I had a couple or three on the way home and have had to top it up with a glass of plonk once I got here. Buzzing.

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Great win but like I said just over 15K for a sellout....mmm.

19. notDistantGreen

One full block in the Barn Park End empty for segregation, some Grandsrand seats not in use due to perceived "comfort issues". Pretty much full elsewhere I think.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

"Comfort issue".....is that where Snow White takes her friends....Happy, Doc, Grumpy, Dopey, Bashful, Sleepy & Sneezy......to watch the match.