1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Scunthorpe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 24, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Take my hat off to the players for what looks an impressive day out. Confidence breeds confidence and results and there does seem to be some around right now. We have a couple of difficult games next so it's too soon to say we have turned a corner but 6 points in one week was what was needed for sure. It shows they can do it and Ladapo has become a slight revelation over the last 3 games with 5 goals. I so want him to get a hattrick though because he has missed out twice now. His doubters have taken a knock though. Onwards and upwards even if it is only one place at a time. That will do nicely.

2. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I thought today I would watch the Sky Goal Express show between 6 and 7pm so put it on to record and went for my tea. (That's dinner if you're posh) Anyway suitably filled I came back and settled down to watch the goals we rattled in. 40 minutes or there abouts into the hour sure enough Scunthorpe v Plymouth was next up and the man pressing the buttons said 7 goals in the last 2 games and here they are. Expectation had taken over at this point and I was waiting with more than baited breath. The play came on and he said Ladapo got the first as a goal was scored. Hang on I thought why are we playing in Blue? Then came the "penalty" decision. That was saved. I'm now thinking where was this penalty because nobody had mentioned it anywhere before today. Well it bleddy wasn't was it as they were showing Rochdale v Charlton instead. Ok I thought they will say "sorry for that blip and here are the goals". Nope. They went straight to the second half and showed Scunthorpe scoring their's followed by our last 2. No mention and no appology from anyone and it was as if nothing had happened that wasn't right. 40 bleddy minutes I wasted to watch that bollox. 40 bleddy minutes of whatever I have left of my life that I will never see again or get back. Don't they realise that some of us haven't got hours and hours to waste.

I finally saw the goals on a pasoti link earlier.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Oddly(considering I have family within 30 mins) that was was my first visit to Glanford park. 7.5 hour drive up yesterday and yes it snowed this morning and was $£*king cold.
    Basically it was a continuation of Tuesday-Freddie hit the onion bag from an unlikely situation and a well worked corner allowed ex iron Naill C to get a second just before HT. Lots of good , slick one stop passing made it a joy to be an Argyle fan and the locals were getting restless. Scunny came out strongly and battered us for 10 minutes , scoring one and having another disallowed. Joel G added a 3rd and Sarce a 4th . The result was never really in doubt and was thoroughly deserved. even better , home by 10pm! This team can really play -long may it continue.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Over the last 6 games....Argyle are 6th in the form table....

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Bags of positives all of a sudden with 2 games, yes only 2 games to back up the argument. Never mind the form guide Plym we are still 22nd and that's the stat that counts.

Lyndie I have seen one game this season that lends any credence to the "Argyle can play" statement which in itself isn't much in the way of proof is it. These are professional footballers so they ought to be able to. Whether that is the start of a lot better times is the important one. Too soon to put a judgement on that but it's looking a bit better, and a bit is all I would give it, that we can at least compete again. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do. I will however leave Adams out of any praise for anything currently. I still don't think he deserves any praise after him having a pop at the customers. He has a lot of bridges to mend before I will give him any.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Quite a few who were mouthing off about Adams 3 weeks ago are now doing the right thing and taking it back. A lot of course have just gone quiet...

I think Adams has done enough to deserve some trust.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So we have gone from the lowest goal scores....to a team that have scored 9 in three games....although we have conceded 5 during those games....but have got an important 6pts out of them......an improvement for sure.

Forget Tuesdays Chelsea U21 game....,.a chance to bring in some fringe players and maybe keep fresh important players for the league battle.

Derek Adams didn't seem too concerned about the Sunderland game next Saturday......he gave you the feeling that they shouldn't be in this league with their financial clout and it isn't a level playing field...,.and if we lose to them so be it....and he would just move on to the next game.

But I bet he'll try his hardest to get a result whatever he tells us.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

So he should Plym as lets not forget that he is paid to get results for Argyle and not look longingly at others finances. I think he is already hedging his bets with the result. Lose and it's only what he thought would happen and win and he is a genius. We can think it isn't one we can win but he can't.

I don't think Adams has proved anything notdistant and he will need to do a lot more for me to change an opinion. He has lost a lot of credibility with the fans lately and he doesn't just get it back because the players have pulled two results out of the bag. I also don't think they should shut up either, They are entitled to an opinion and to express it and if he doesn't like it then he can trot off.

9. notDistantGreen

Hasn't lost any credibility with me, at least not because he took the thuggish element on. Quite the reverse.

10. notDistantGreen

As a matter of interest, I was speaking to a neighbour on Saturday. He's a primarily a rugby fan but takes his sons to Argyle because they like it.

They went to the Burton game and were in the Lyndhurst/Devonport End corner. He described the atmosphere as "poisonous" and told me that some ape close to them was hanging over the wall at the end, effing and blinding at the manager and players and God knows who else, complete with hand gestures. The ape then left with HIS OWN YOUNG CHILDREN who were sitting with him.

What sort of example is that? What incentive is it for my neighbour to go on taking his kids to Home Park?

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I served in Dartmouth College twice and the behaviour of Britain's finest left enough to be desired and in front of anyone present at the time. These are "The Apes" who aspire to command. If you want to hear kind words then go to Church on a Sunday. I personally wouldn't do what you describe in front of my kids or not. However, some people only know that as a way of expressing their displeasure and just because they may not be as educated as others still doesn't mean they can't say anything. Maybe I'm just not that sensitive about language. Have you ever read Chaucer?

You may not have lost any faith in Adams but there are plenty who would say he has with them. I repeat that a couple of wins is not enough to now place him on some pedistal. He still needs to take a long hard look at himself and take his head out of his arse.

12. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Tell him to stick to rugby, where he can spend the afternoon watching scrums which take five minutes, mauls down the other end of the pitch where you can't even see the ball, twenty one phases of play to go five yards, sit next to fans wearing their public schools scarves and all in a **** atmosphere. I bet I know where his sons want to go <laugh>