1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 25, 2018.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I think the chances stats may be a bit misleading in that eyewitness accounts suggests we had as many GOOD chances. Ladapo hitting the post for example goes down as off-target just as something 10 feet over the bar would.

Regretably though the score is correct and our defence is again universally deemed responsible for at least one of the two. Can't do that, have to make the other lot work hard to score, especially for the 1st one.

Apparently Threlkeld hasn't played since August and hasn't even been in the match day squad. Just saying....

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just watched the Sky highlights.....Tafari Moore being blamed on pasoti....he certainly came in for a lot of stick on that website.

MoM vote went to Songo'o for the umpteenth time.....and Moore came second.....it looks like those that voted for him were taking the mick.....not long after the second goal he was substituted for Riley.

I wouldn't think Oscar Threlkeld would want to come back to Home Park.....not really sure how he was getting along with Adams at the end.....Adams had suggested that he should have played through the pain barrier when he broke down after returning from an injury.....doubt if we could afford him anyway.

When January comes around, Adams was suggesting that for new players to come in...others needed to be shipped out first.....and the only ones who will draw attention are the few we cannot afford to let go.

Personally I think it's looking dire....Adams way of playing the team seems to lack any inspiration......and I cannot see Adams leaving or being sacked.

3. notDistantGreen

Songo'o limped off at the end on Saturday and the same last night. Doesn't bode well.......

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I have been reading the conversation between Derek Adams and Chris Errington.

Errington commented that he was surprised how soon after the match that Adams had spoken to him.....Adams answer was that it is easy to say too much in the heat of the moment so decided that now might not be the right moment to talk to the players.

He brought on Carey and Taylor at half time...suggesting that he was giving two up front ago for 45 minutes and not just near the end of the game.

My concern is how could he say that he had changed to two up front...He took Joel Grant off....wouldn't he be supplying the crosses from the left for two strikers ? He put Ladapo on the left wing and not twinned with Taylor in the centre so he could feed off Taylor's knock downs etc.

Carey replaced Lameiras....wasn't that pairing the basis of our success last season linking up with Taylor ?

Taking off Joel Grant and Lameiras I would have thought was probably the wrong two players if you were chasing a goal.

Maybe re-jigging midfield and taking off two from Fox, Sarcevic and Ness or a defender (Moore ?) might of been better.

It sounds as if our man of the match Songo'o started with an injury picked up on Saturday and aggravated it in the second half and finished the game limping....we cannot do with-out him starting each week.

I feel Adams isn't sure what his starting eleven should be...even when he has got most of them available.

But I do feel that Carey, Lameiras, Joel Grant and Taylor should be first on the team sheet....we're literally bottom of the goals for column.... and those four are our goal scorers....(other than Ladapo).....they should be compensating for having one of the worse defences in the league.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. notDistantGreen

And Ladapo.....?

Our problems start at the back, leaking goals and at times in midfield, failing to play the ball through to make good chances. The full back positions play a part in both.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Corrected my write up notDistant.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have not seen Moore have a good game for ages now and he is definately targetted by opposition managers. You can see it every game where they concentrate down that side. If all of the other managers can see it then where is our's then.

8. notDistantGreen

Does he have an alternative?

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Probably not much of one notdistant but he should be at least looking to try something or someone else. Considering his background you would expect a better player than the one he is turning out to be, I do not rate the man I'm afraid and he makes mistakes in every game. Once again Adams comes out with the players weren't good enough statement. It seems that every other game he says this sort of thing. You have to ask what the hell is he doing about it because he is the one who should be. I am beginning to think he was just plain lucky last season rather than anything being because of a master stroke.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Joe Riley did come on as a substitute (as he did last night) for Shrewsbury during their 2-1 defeat in last seasons play-off final at Wembley....why is he struggling so much here...as others also are under Adams at Argyle ?....others have played far better at their previous clubs...why not at Argyle can they not produce similar performances.

11. notDistantGreen

Possibly it's to do with how the rest of the team mesh with the full backs, particularly the midfield and the wide attackers.

Is the mix of defence and attack in our full backs what the team needs?

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We need to stop shipping goals is what we need so if we can't by having wingbacks then stop having them and put in proper real defenders to shore it up. I'm not all that impressed with Macey either. He does well a lot of the time but other times he is not somebody you can rely on. Stops a lot of shots then lets some easier ones in. Doesn't command his area at all and is hesitant. His defenders are never sure what he will do come or stay. His lame effort to stop the first Shrews goal was abysmal. Matthews was a far far better keeper than Macey. I won't be sorry when the Wolves man arrives back from injury.

13. notDistantGreen

I'm with you on Macey Sensible. It's no good making world class saves (which he does now and then) but flapping at crosses and not knowing when to come out and when to stay on your line. And his kicking.... well.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Is Macey scaring our back four.....or is our back four scaring Macey ?