1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Southend

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 16, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I expect a proper report on this one Plymborn as it's just up the road and left a bit.

So here we have Southend who have had a bit of a funny old start to the season. They beat Blackburn on day one who are the team just about everyone and their dog have predicted to be promoted 1st but are currently in the relegation zone and then got dicked by Rotherham last weekend. Argyle on the other hand got beat but just by Posh who are currently 2nd and then sort of comfortably won against Charlton who are a fringe playoff/promotion seeking side. This weeks very difficult question has to be what could possibly go wrong?

If you were a betting person this game is not one you would readily put on your betting slip for any of the 3 possible results. I think Argyle can shade this with a bit of fair wind and share of the luck. It's not going to be easy that's for sure but then again what games are home or away in these competative leagues. All parts will be duly crossed on Saturday.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unfortunately you wont get one from me sensible....unable to make the trip to darkest Essex.....my bit of string isn't long enough to get me there.....I've only pencilled in Gillingham, Wimbledon and Charlton that's enough excitement for me in one season......unless we get a big cup match around this way of course....and then getting a ticket will be the problem.

3. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

After their 5-0 drubbing by Rotherham I suspect we will see a keen side up for trying to score as many as possible to reduce the deficit.

Players to watch: Leonard (ex Argyle prospect), Timlin & Kightly (formerly with Burnley)

I suspect Adams will maintain the team from last Saturday:

GK: McCormick

DF: Miller, Edwards, Bradley, Sawyer

DMF: Sarcevic, Fox

AMF: Jervis, Carey, Grant

FW: Blissett

I put down 2-3 to Argyle on the prediction thread and I reckon it will potentially be this close.
    Goals from Carey, Grant & Jervis to settle it.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Threlkeld has a hairline fracture of the tibia - out for 4 weeks. A pity.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Where did you see that notDistant....cannot find anything on the official website....but I have read elsewhere that it is his fibula (thinner bone at the back going down to his ankle) and he will be out up to 6 weeks ?

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

NOT BLEDDY GOING PLYMBORN??????????????? YOO'M NAT A PRAPER FAN.

It was on the Sky News channel along with the other bits they always show across the bottom of the screen.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Confirmation from Adams that Threlkeld has an hair fracture to a fibula....up to six weeks out.

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Sadly not going either, probably one of the few that i will miss this season. Feeling confident 0-2. Oscar clearly out for 'a few' weeks. be interesting to see hoe his replacement does!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've planted a tree this morning. I want to dedicate it to a glorious Argyle away day but I'm going to hold the dedication until later.:emoticon-0169-dance

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Christ, whats with all these bleddy own goals away from home..........:emoticon-0121-angry

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Two games running away now and we have been done with an own goal quite early on. I hope this is not a habit starting. No indication which way this is going possession and stuff wise. Radio Devon has Exeter and on DAB Torquay. They don't get this who is the king of the pile thing do they. Ever hopeful for the second half then.............

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1 draw I'll take that.

13. notDistantGreen

I think we'd have settled for this start - better than last year!

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If we stopped giving the opposition a goal every away game we would have 3 more points now than we have. Still a point is better than no points so I guess you're right with the "we'd have settled for".

15. notDistantGreen

When you consider we've been without an established striker, which is a key position in 4:2:3:1, apart from the first 20 mins at Peterborough, surely things can only get better. That's if whoever we bring in can resist the temptation to bite anyone's legs.

We've suffered one defeat, by one goal, in a game in which we probably deserved more. A bit different to the 0-3 mauling I witnessed on the first Saturday last year.

A long, long way to go of course and with our games so far having been closely fought, there's not much to make me change my forecast of a mid-table finish. I have a lot of faith in Adams though and he'll be on a bit of a learning curve in this division, so I think there's more upside than downside, provided we don't have a lot of injuries or suspensions.

16. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I don't mind the oppositions legs being bitten....as long as we don't use our teeth.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I watched the goals on the Football on 5 show today. The own goal was a blinding header and if it had been at the other end everyone would have been waxing lyrical about it all weekend. Luke got nowhere near it and once again it was an unlucky event. I bet Sonny couldn't do it again in a hundred attempts.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I watched that programme from it's 9pm start and it's Div I&2 part as well at 10pm.....a real blinder of a goal from Bradley from a very acute angle......the presenters on that programme aint to exciting to watch are they.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't listen to them plym just watch the goals and as I'm watching on playback then just fast forward the speaking bits.