1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Sunderland

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 31, 2018.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

No complaints , I actually think that their penalty was one (or you could argue either way) . Equally, don't think that there is any doubt that we should have had at least one , if not two. Hey ho, decent match, big crowd (in relative terms) . Wasn't that impressed with Sunderland to be honest. Move on and up for the cup next week £36K to the winners of Saturday's match. Well worth taking it seriously.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought Sunderland were decent and certainly a lot quicker over the ground than some of ours. Still think their pen wasn't and from where I sit thought Moore was the one fouled if anybody was. There were two nailed on pens the other end. I have no complaints with Sunderland at all. Decent support who were more vocal than I've heard in that end for a long time. They didn't make the decisions the Ref did who was a total bottler. Their No.8 should have gone and it's debateable the handball on the deck which was in essence a save should or could have been a second as it was deliberate. How we ended up not scoring is a mystery. The ball seemed to adopt a life of it's own at times and was determined to go around the posts rather than between. Not sure about the cup game yet. Our record doesn't fill me with any confidence.

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

A good game to watch which kept me awake...What Cup game is it next week

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FA Cup Round 1....at home to Stevenage.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

BBC's report never mentioned 2 clear penalties dismissed. ..typical! Maybe they have that syndrome too.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Same complaints out there on editing of the game by Sky.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

7. notDistantGreen

I see Derek Adams thanked the fans for their support during and after the game. He also thanked them for letting the ref know what they thought of him!

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Looked at Sky highlights....bit of a joke to call it that......But the given penalty was doubtful.....to easily given....will never know if Argyle had a good shout at a couple of penalties....all a bit of a sham.

Grandstand side boarding covers any play down that touchline from being seen.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No post-match interview with Derek Adams on GoS.....just comment from Graham Carey....maybe Adams didn't feel able to comment without getting into trouble with the FL on some of the Refs decisions.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

But not ok to let him know what they thought of him a few weeks back? Hmmm! Double standards anyone.

He did an interview with the Herald where he mentions the Ref but mostly what the crowd did rather than him make comments of his own. Think that's a bit smart of him. Let the crowd say what you wanted to say and that's ok. The media never ever show anything like that in a game unless there is a redd card. Apart from those it's just the goals in the bottom tier because we don't matter. Those decisions potentially decided the match so they were at least as important as the goals. Thing is though they seldom get a decent shot of the action because unlike the prem they only have a bloke with a Kodak camera and one movie variety in the ground. Its unlikely they get a good view for people to decide. I can tell you though that both penalty shout would have been given with VAR and there would have been no doubt. The one at the other end he gave probably wouldn't. As said it's not Sunderland's fault so I don't want to take their victory away from them. I do want Referees to have to explain themselves though. They may be a bit more careful if that happened.

11. notDistantGreen

As before Sensible, criticism and complaint are acceptable, extreme personal abuse is not.

Both Ladapo and Sarcevic remarked on the great atmosphere yesterday as well as their feeling we deserved more. Which comes first? Support or performance?

I just watched the 10 minute free highlights on iFollow. https://www.pafc.co.uk/ifollow/

Notwithstanding the score, and what a good first goal it was despite the poor defending, we come out of that pretty well. Good possession and the better passing and several half chances spurned. No sign of Argyle penalty claims but Sunderland's is dubious in the extreme. There's a wicked deflection and both players react quickly to an unexpected change of direction. They both go for it and the Sunderland guy does get the touch but by then both players are irretrievably committed to their direction of motion and both fall down. Entirely accidental 50:50, never a penalty.

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

There are actually at least 3 cameras recording every moment of every match and 9.5 times out of 10 we get a very good shot of any particular incident and clearly have the advantage of very slow super slo mo after the event. Their pen can be debated all day and still not get agreement. Our two shouts - well it hit their player's hand and so it comes down to interpretation of the rules and what the ref thought he saw.. Bottom line is that he didn't give them so it doesn't matter- on another day I think we would have got one of them.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You might get a half decent view Lyndie but the media outlets don't seem to or rather choose not to show any of it. Agree it's gone now so it doesn't matter one way or the other. Frpom where I was sat it looked like their player actually did a keeper job and saved the shot from Ladapo. He may have turned his head away but he knew exactly where the ball was coming from and going to. I have looked at their penalty decision over and over and have to say from one view it looks like it could be a penalty and from another it looks like he threw himself over the leg. How the Ref saw it instantly without any thought I just don't know and that's what led to "couldn't wait to give them something". He almost looked like he was going to for at least 5 minutes before he did. I do honestly believe that some Refs get big club syndrome and favour them all the time. Deliberately at that.