1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Sunderland

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 29, 2021.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

1-1

So thoroughly deserved. Perhaps we'll get a free kick soon.

2. notDistantGreen

Red card for Opoku. Good aspect of that is we'll never see him in Green again.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1-3...F/T.

Edwards...63mins

Stewart...21mins
    Maguire...Penalty...84mins
    Hume...90+2mins

Really the result should read....Argyle...1-3...Sunderland + the Ref.

Argyle 16 fouls + Lowe's yellow......Sunderland only 2 fouls.....that bears no relationship to the game

We should have had a penalty in the first half....Sunderland get one for a lesser incident in the second.....and of course we get also a red card

We end up with 4 yellows and then a red ?

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. notDistantGreen

Robbed there by two people. The referee, who denied us a nailled on penalty, gave them a dodgy one and gave us absolutely nothing else.

The other is Jerome Opoku was let us down more times this season than you can count. Back to Fulham snd good riddance.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A bit taken aback that we ended up with Lolos as the loan striker....just shows how far we've back-tracked this season.....no place for Jephcott with his lack of speed in the situation we ended up with playing with ten men.....Edwards becoming our only source of goals from wing-back ?

One win in the last thirteen matches....9 goals for... and 30 against.....true relegation form.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I did spend a lot of today raging at the Officials. I also couldn't believe the half time stat of nil fouls by Sunderland. I absolutely agree that we had a stonewall penalty not given and if that had been given it might just have been a different game. Their first goal looked about 2 yards offside. I have not seen a view looking right across the pitch so that could be wrong. However from the angle we did see on iFollow it looked a cert. The lino was nowhere near level with the play. I thought we played some decent stuff in the first half and to go in one down was more than a bit harsh. Second half the Officials were not any better. I have no problem with the Opoku red as he is always knocking on the door for a booking. However, it took 54 minutes for the Ref to give us a free kick for anything. I am amazed the halos didn't choke their players being such angels. We only got one more. When the lino flagged for an offside against Sunderland did you all hear the round of applause he got. Lowe gave the Ref a clap at halftime so no need to repeat with the award of the foul. Next point was Power. Spoken to by the Ref for a blatant dive which he did not penalise. When he did it again the Ref waved it away. This Ref was so biased I can't even come up with a bribe charge worthy of it all. Once Opoku had gone I think there was only one result coming. It duly did and once more we lost. The penalty against was dubious for me but then I would say that as it was against. The player looked to me to have ensured the legs got tangled by sticking his leg back. If that was a spot kick then our's not given in the first half was a definite.

Now having said all of the above I think Argyle did not play badly at all and were far better than the final result. Sunderland are a decent side and play decent football. I wish them well in the play offs which they should piss if they get this Ref for their games. One more to go and then we can all breathe a bit easier for a few months. It's a shame people's write ups are not more about the football for this game. That though is down to the Officials.

7. notDistantGreen

Plym - Lowe brought Lolos on on the 63rd minute, , 1-1 at that stage, fresh legs up front, give the youngsters a chance etc etc.

Opuku then gets sent off in the 64th minute and we're a defender short. Every manager in the land is going to take a striker off, keep the midfield intact, bring on a defender and try to hold on to one point. He only has Ennis, who'd needed the physio on at one point to take off, so we end up with Lolos alone upfront.

Not the best of situations it's true but nothing unusual or surprising.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Head a beating wall brick against your. Please rearrange into a well known phrase or saying. I have sat in the ground and listened to people around and all they can do is find something to moan about even if the score is favourable. I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same games as them. Today's villain was the Official and nobody else with maybe the exception being Opoku, Argyle fans do love to have somebody to slag off though don't they. I blame Lowe for not knowing they were going to be down to 10 men in the following 2 minutes. Why didn't he know he's paid to know. Shocking.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Our Ref was shockingly bad but has anyone seen the Peterborough penalty that sent them up? There absolutely needs to be consequences but there won't be.

10. notDistantGreen

No, after the Grand Prix in the wonderful Algarve, I was focused on the Man Utd v Liverpool game, which could have decided if Man City were Champions. Called off due to anti-Super League protesters invading Old Trafford.

Watch this space.......

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They only did that to prevent Man City celebrating too soon. They don't care about the super league thing really. You should look at the Peterborough penalty thing it's really funny. Even worse though is the Peterborough supporters seem to think it is ok and doesn't matter.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It must be a week for laugh out louds. I've just read in the Herald write ups that a certain Mr Hackett of the Referee Club has criticised James Bell for telling Lowe pre-match that he is a Shef Wed fan and sang his name from the terraces previously. That isn't the chuckle. The real funny thing is he also said that Bell's career was on the up and he had heard nothing but good things about him. He should go on to Ref in the Prem.

I'm only guessing but I would think that he hasn't actually seen the latest game he didn't Referee. Bell, or Bell End as he should be known, is probably the most baised and rubbish Ref I have seen in a long time and boy have we had some crap.

13. notDistantGreen

But it's going from bad to worse and not just in our tier of the pyramid.

Last week I watched Man U v Roma in the Europa League as I thought there was a high probability of punch ups and histrionics.

Actually, it was a cracking game bit that's not the point.

United started really well and scored early. They had Pogba at RWB though, which really doesn't work.

Shortly after United scored Roma broke down their left. A diagonal ball was played across United's box into the space into which their RB was advancing at speed. Unfortunately, there was just too much on it and the angle a bit wrong, so it looked like it was going to run out fir a goal kick. Both the Roma player and Pogba arrived at the intersection of ball and goal.line together. Both slide in, yhe Roma guy to bounce it back across the box and Pogba to block. Roma gets to the ball and it heads into danger. It strikes Pogba's arm FACING AWAY FROM THE BALL MIND YOU. VAR etc, penalty.

What a load of nonsense. Pogba is sliding in horizontally with his back to the ball. Yes, his arm is somewhat raised to give him balance but that's entirely natural given the movement he's making.

So that's two FIFA refs one on the pitch the other watching TV, both making an utterly ludicrous decision.