1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Sunderland

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 9, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We will lose this one by a minimum of 5 goals and if you don't believe me just go to the Sunderland board where it is bound to be written somewhere. I'm not sure which Argyle will show up for this given the amount of travel we have had and top clubs we have played over recent weeks. We might just win this or on the other hand we could lose or draw. My best guess is it will be one of those so watch this space. If we win we will have been lucky, dirty, the worst team ever to visit there and have bribed the Referee. If we lose it will be because we couldn't raise our game for our cup final at a big ground. I'm going to hedge towards a win for us.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we're flying to this one.....three away games in a week....well over a thousand miles covered.

3. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Don't think any of our fans are taking you lightly. We've had a streaky run but look to be finding some form despite being riddled with injuries.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hi TopCat.
    We've struggled of late....unbeaten for seventeen games then....bang...Charlton, Wigan, Wycombe W....three defeats on the trot...over playing players with our smallish squad....two of those being lost every International break....meaning we still had to play....probably our best striker Niall Ennis pulling up injured in the warm-up before the first match of the season at Rotherham and one of our big summer signings James Bolton getting injured pre-season and yet to play a minute....but signs of hope with Ennis having played two five minute spells of late.

Then our manager Ryan Lowe going back to the North-West this week to manager crappy Preston....I hope he took everything with him...because he might not do well popping back for anything.....but I think he's come unstuck....because his brains...Steven Schumacher has stayed to take over,,,Schumacher moved his family down here and has settled very well and loves the area.....Lowe never moved his famil;y down ?....I shall be watching Lowe's results at Preston with a sneer ready if he comes unstuck.

But if we can get our passing game going again we might be able to give you a game....our defence has just lost for the season Brendan Galloway with a dislocated knee cap....so we have a problem at the moment there....Galloway was quality and we'll miss him....as I said...we've already done high mileage with two away games since Sunday...so we have the luxury of flying up to give the lads a chance of recovery.

5. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

We certainly know the feeling of losing 3 on the trot, although it could be argued ours was a long time coming. We (or should I say, the manager) has struggled to shake off this "streaky" tag for a while now and there is always the feeling there is a bad run around the corner. We are missing 7-8 first teamers (we have no full backs fit and available) so it's very much last resorts in some positions (right winger at left back, centre half at right back) but we seem to have found some fight from somewhere. Ross Stewart, Nathan Broadhead and Alex Pritchard are forming a useful 3 pronged partnership up front so we have some hope

Am expecting a good game, we always score, but we (almost) always concede too. I expect a 2-1 either way (although head and head are in agreement it'll be a home win)

Sunderland fans have less fond memories of Galloway - having said that, not many players came out that season with credit. Sorry to hear the lad has a nasty injury

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can I say TopCat that my comments were a bit tongue in cheek even if some of your compatriots are a wee bit over enthusiastic with their assessment of home form. Most supporters get a bit carried away at times but a constant drip about not being a third tier club wears thin when clearly it's where they are. I'm a bit more philosophical than that normally with the belief you are where you are for a reason. History means nothing. I expect a decent game but it is often difficult to imagine which Argyle will turn up. We have been somewhere between brilliant and god awful in matches at times and when brilliant can outplay anyone. I don't think the change in Manager will affect us at all so if we lose then no excuse there. I always want success but am never shocked at failure with Argyle having been there for more years than I care to admit. It will be what it is and hopefully it will be an away win.

TopCat_ likes this.
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Broom, Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson, Edwards, Mayor, Houghton, Camara, Hardie, Garrick.

Subs
    Burton, Ennis, Agard, Randell, Law, Jephcott, G Cooper.

No Conor Grant...not even on the bench....so surely must be injured...disappointing not to have him available......so Broom moved to wing-back and Mayor starts.

We are a bit light in defence with no one really on the bench to cover.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

We won't be defending Plym.

please log in to view this image

9. notDistantGreen

See? We aren't doing any defending. 1-0 down after only 4 minutes from a short Sunderland corner. Shouldn't happen should it?

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are quite right notdistant we are one down already. Maybe we should try it.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bad start......1-0...Neil....4mins.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Even worse.....2-0.....Broadhead...2-0.

13. notDistantGreen

Gillesphy getting the blame on Twitter. No idea if that's fair or even if those holding an.opinion have seen it.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

(fingers in ears lalalalalalalala!!!!!) It's gonna be a very long day me thinks.

15. notDistantGreen

This is going to be a long afternoon.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to say he does seem to be the weakest link to be fair. Wasn't impressed on Wednesday.

17. notDistantGreen

Sunderland looking lethal: 4 shots, 3 on target.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nah rubbish now it's only 3 from 7. Obviously running out of steam.................

19. notDistantGreen

I've seen both goals but only on a 6 inch phone screen.

It's a very well executed along-the-ground corner on our left side for the first. A Sunderland player gets a touch at the near post who deflects it 45° back to the far post area, about 12 to 15 yards out. There was an Argyle player in close attendance at the near post but sticking a foot in would have likely to be a pen. The real problem is how the guy got a shot away. Somebody should have got in the way there but I can't see who the marker was.

The second is comes from a ball over the top down our left. Good cross and finish. Someone got done for pace down the touchline and I think it's Broom.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The one stat I find hard to believe is that after nearly 40 minutes Sunderland have not committed one foul.